View Poll Results: Which track configuration would you prefer for the Aug 10/11 races at HPR?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full course

27 58.70%
  • North course

10 21.74%
  • West course

9 19.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPR Aug 10/11 - course options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim 'smooth' Brewer

HPR Aug 10/11 - course options

At the risk of angering some of my friends, I'd like to open a discussion about the HPR course layout for our August race.

In May, it made sense to use the north config since I understand some repairs were being done to the west loop. But during that weekend, I talked with 3-4 other racers that didn't like the short configuration. I agreed with them.

Right now we have 3 out of our remaining 4 races on short courses (2 at PPIR, 1 on the HPR north config). Given that we're not doing Pueblo again, I'd prefer to run the full course at HPR rather than shortening it 2 of the 4 times were there this year.

Ready for flames ..

Update - on suggestion of James W., I added a poll. The definitions of north and west configurations are at http://highplainsraceway.com/images/...map-large4.gif

Junior Member Novice
    i like long because i dont get lapped every class i run haha

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    Nay
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

I agree .....long course !!!!
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Amateur
    I vote for no more Pueblo. :lol:
    MRA #137
    CVMA #137x

Senior Member Expert
    since its not a vote.......I will OPINE, leave it short. having some variety is nice. plus it keeps the horsepower edge at bay.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Junior Member Novice
    i think it would be sweet if we ran what I believe is the West course?? Full track but minus turns 9, 10 and 11. it would make the corkscrew a double corkscrew almost!. why dont we ever run that???

Senior Member Amateur
    It scares Shannon. ops:
    MRA #137
    CVMA #137x

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by zyconic17
    i think it would be sweet if we ran what I believe is the West course?? Full track but minus turns 9, 10 and 11. it would make the corkscrew a double corkscrew almost!. why dont we ever run that???
    Dunno....I tried to schedule a round on the west course in 2009 and nearly got lynched.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    I tried to schedule a round on the west course in 2009 and nearly got lynched.
    I remember that .. which is why I'm puzzled as to why we've decided to run a short course twice.
    It's by far the best track we have and we're not using a good portion of it half of the time we're there?

Senior Member Expert
    I didn't like the North Course when we ran it last year - but I got to like it this year and I'm looking forward to running it again. That said, I also think running the West Course could be a lot of fun - I don't understand why some folks are dead set against running it, but want to run the N course again. :?

rohorn
    No Figure 8 configuration?

Senior Member Expert
    I agree with Jim I think we should run the full course
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    I tried to schedule a round on the west course in 2009 and nearly got lynched.
    I remember that .. which is why I'm puzzled as to why we've decided to run a short course twice.
    It's by far the best track we have and we're not using a good portion of it half of the time we're there?
    I tried to mix it up just for the sake of variety. The argument you make could also be turned around, though, as in "we've got a track with four different possible configurations, why are we only running one of two of them?"

While I can understand while there wouldn't be a lot of support behind the idea of running the "short" course, I don't think it would be unreasonable to run both the west and north configuration once each per year, and the balance of the events (whatever that may be) on the full course.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid to hear it!
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    I think the technical course wealth that we have in Colorado ir really good right now. We are blessed with multiple track layouts, and should take full advantage of that. I would like to see Pueblo used twice, PPIR used twice, HPR Full twice, HPR North once, and HPR West once. Yes this is a total of 8 Rounds. If we insist on a 7 Round season, which for next year might still be a descent idea?......then drop one of the HPR Full course rounds. Variety is an amazing luxury, and I think that is one of Jim's complaints "Too much short course racing", so let's mix it up.

After we have raced HPR North, PPIR, and Pueblo, all with airfence installed. It is pretty hard for me to imagine anyone can come up with an overwhelmingly valid arrguement about HPR West not being "safe enough", even with air fence installed near turn 13.

Alright Tony Baker time to channel your inner dictator, and make the controversial choice that I'm sure will get a lot of praise after the event is complete!
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    I thought the north course was a lot of fun. I'd love to try the west configuration out too. I do see Jim's point but I'd rather not do back to back weekends on the same configuration.
    #279 Chris Sorensen (Track Marshal)
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Sol Performance - Pirelli
    Imperial Sportbikes
    Puma - Snug Harbor Motorsports
    ScorpionExo
    Woodcraft
    STM Suspension
    Mad-Moto
    Foothills Triumph

WolFeYeZ
    I would also love to do the West course. It looks like a bunch of fun!

Senior Member Amateur
    I agree variety is nice, and I think running the North course once a season is fine. But I think cutting out 1/3 of the track 2 of the 4 times we race there is silly. That being said, I'm happy to get out and ride either way.
    Pete Tabor
    MRA #599
    --------------------------
    Fun Center Cycles
    Sol Performance
    Speedin' Motorsports

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    We looked at West Course again at Round 1 this year. There are two issues with it, imo...

There is quite a transition/drop/seam from 8 to 13 which may be overly upsetting to the suspension. Maybe Glenn has run it and has better input?

With the addition of the curbing around the track, that puts the curb at what would now be the "outside of 8/13, rider's left" in what I would consider "harm's way".

If you stand the bike up, it is a huge jump. If you low-side - you and your bike are most certainly going to launch off of it. And it's tall enough that it could really cause damage to man and machine.

I was quoted in RRW once as saying "Anything you put in, on, or around a racetrack that causes people to crash is a bad thing." I stand by that statement.

Dennis, as for an 8 Round season, I believe it is possible for there to be a return to that in time. I'd sure like to see us get through a 7 rounder... and at least break even at each of them first before we go back to adding rounds.

Pueblo x2 is a huge risk. Every time we go there, we are staring at a possible "total loss on the event" because we can't race there in the rain. This would be a catastrophic loss for the club, and basically everyone would have to simply forfeit their entry fees. There's no way we could refund everyone and keep the club afloat. This happened at an opening round several years ago... and boy did that go over like a fart in church. If/when they ever address the Turn 10 configuration - then I wholeheartedly agree that we can/should do 2 down there. As the 8th round perhaps?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    I kinda like the north course, the bobsled is so much faster.

Oh yes, I also vote for more Pueblo and less PPIR. PPIR is soooooo short and Pueblo is a fast and flowing course.
    Donna (Bowden) Turner MRA #612
    2006-2009 MRA Rider Representative
    2006 Modern Vintage GTU Class Champion
    2008 Ladies of the Rockies Champion
    http://www.WildCheetahRacing.com
    http://www.wildcheetahracing.com/_borders/banner.jpg

I LOVE PUEBLO !!!! AND PPIR AND HPR ......... DO IT !!!
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

:lol: Yeah lets fukkn race!
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Member Amateur
    I love full course

In terms of safety, are we ever pointed at anything if we run the West course?

Airfence saves lives but it doesn't stop concrete from being concrete
    - Joe

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Didn't we already do this, BEFORE we set the schedule. When it was discussed at a general meeting, almost every person in the room wanted to race the schedule we are racing.

Take a look:
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...t=north+course

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    Didn't we already do this, BEFORE we set the schedule. When it was discussed at a general meeting, almost every person in the room wanted to race the schedule we are racing.

Take a look:
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...t=north+course
    Good point. Now that we've run the north course a couple times, it seems opinions may have changed, though. Let's see how the poll goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast