Thread: Flat Slide Service Needed

Senior Member Amateur

Flat Slide Service Needed

I'm looking for service on some Keihin FCR37 flat slides, preferably in Denver metro.

I appear to have a bad float valve: 30 seconds after charging the fuel pump I get gas shooting out of the left side air tube. I've pulled the float bowls and all of the floats appear to move without noticeable friction.

Any recommendations?

Mohammer Time! Expert
    Did you set the float level?

Float levels, boogered up float valve, also you can pull your floats out and see if they actually float.
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Amateur
    Shannon - No; but thanks for the tip - I found this link http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...Burns,Pat.html that describes how-to. He also suggests using a 'sighting instrument' connected to the drain plug to visually check the operating level - this sounds promising if for no other reason than helping me to determine which carb is causing the problem. Have you heard of such a tool? Do you know if this is a readily obtained tool, or maybe a tool constructed by matching the drain thread or tapping a new drain plug and connecting a vinyl tube?

Marty - I had started considering that, and will check this before going through the trouble of playing with the float level.

Thanks guys!

To set my floats I usually just turn the carb upside down and use some calipers or a good ruler and measure from the mating surface of the carb body to the highest point of the float. Not sure though if it is the same on the FCR carbs as the Keihin PJ Carbs.

Sorry if it is a dumb question but my bikes are all gravity fed carbs. Is there some sort of check valve or fuel regulator that maintains correct fuel pressure? Is the overflowing carb the first one that gets fed with fuel?
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Mohammer Time! Expert
    I just make a measurement. Also also check the the float valve to make sure it isn't damaged and properly sealing.