Thread: boot thoughts

Senior Member Amateur

boot thoughts

I need new boots (mine have been hijacked by the big footed 11 y/o for minimoto) and have got it down to either the Alpinstars Supertech R, TCX S-Race or the TCX R-S2. Anyone have any thoughts and/or experience with these?

thanks,

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Puma.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Amateur
    I've got the supertech's and can bring them over if you want to try them out. I've really enjoyed them but I've heard some really good things about the new TCX boots. If I didn't already have the Supertechs I'd try out the TCX boot. For the money they seem to be a really good buy. Actually I'm tempted to sell my Supertechs to buy the TCX boots.

Senior Member Amateur
    That's funny, mine got jacked by my kid for minimoto too!
    Except now Mr Sasquatch has outgrown them with his big giant hairy feet.
    Adam's Sponsors: Kristie and Kevin McGuire, Chicane trackdays

Member Novice Speedin' Motorsports's Avatar
    Joe,

Although all 3 of those boots are great, the two I would stand against eachother are the Supertech and the R-S2. Both are phenomenal. Lets look at the boots together. Both were developed with top level riders. Both are produced by reputable companies who are known for safety and comfort. The features are fairly similar in that they both are steel shanked, they both are made with HIGH grade leather, and are both vented just to name a quick few...

The advantages to the TCX boot that the A* can't compete with:

1: Air fit. Most boots are a bit baggy around the front of the ankle. TCX addresses that by offering a more customizable fit and added safety!
    2: Replaceable Aluminum toe slider. A mute point? Maybe. But I drag sliders off ALL the time. They last longer for people like me. Which in some cases means the boot last longer.
    3: PRICE!!! At nearly $100 cheaper. You can buy a track day and refine your skills. Why are they cheaper? Who knows, maybe development costs were less? Anyhow Josh Hayes himself had his fingers in the development of this boot for over 2 years. It's a good boot period! We have 5 or 6 local guys running this boot already. And love it!!

Maybe I'm biased but its a better bang for the buck!
    Brian Robertson
    2013-2014 MRA Trackside Support

Authorized Dealer - Woodcraft, Armour Bodies, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bridgestone, TechSpec and Race Bike Hoodies
    www.speedinmotorsports.com <- Check out our Race Only Section!
    www.facebook.com/SpeedinMotorsports <- Come hang out with us and give us a 'LIKE'

Senior Member Amateur
    Shouldn't Josh Hayes have used his toes to develop boots? Not his fingers.
    Adam's Sponsors: Kristie and Kevin McGuire, Chicane trackdays

Senior Member Expert
    Brian,

Where do you think the Sidi Vortice Race boots with the replaceable ball footing?

I know that with me the 2 areas I wear out quick are the internal padding (replaceable with most things) and the outside sole on the ball of the foot where the peg wears it down.

In my very short research several months ago, I found the Sidi Vortice was one of few to have the replaceable sliders and sole. Also I would assume they are comparable to the TCX with as they have cinches around the lower ankle that are separate from the whole foot. I believe all the cinches were localized?

I don't know what a price point on the TCX boots are though either. You can PM me that info if you want to keep the vendor stuff out of the general discussion section.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Amateur ZiaThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    Brian,

Where do you think the Sidi Vortice Race boots with the replaceable ball footing?
    I've been using the Vortice for a couple years now. Great boots! I've replaced the sole piece twice. Not bad considering the boots I had before didn't even make it a full season before I had to have them resoled. They weren't the same after that either.

Replacing the parts on them is really easy.
    Sponsored by:
    PJ's Motorcycles, Amsoil, Woodcraft, Race Tech, Speedin' Motorsports, Soumy, MotionPro, & SIDI boots
    # 930
    www.diomederacing.com

Brian,

I know that with me the 2 areas I wear out quick are the internal padding (replaceable with most things) and the outside sole on the ball of the foot where the peg wears it down.

In my very short research several months ago, I found the Sidi Vortice was one of few to have the replaceable sliders and sole. Also I would assume they are comparable to the TCX with as they have cinches around the lower ankle that are separate from the whole foot. I believe all the cinches were localized?

I don't know what a price point on the TCX boots are though either.
    Kevin,

The Sidi Vortice Boots Rock! I didn't cover them because well, it wasn't a boot he asked about. In My opinion, the Vortice boots have everything the TCX boot has AND a replaceable sole.

It is very convienient as many racers wear out the sole before anything else. BUT you pay nearly $150 more for that option. The cinch around the ankle is a great addition over the Supertechs but TCX has their own version of that (airfit) which makes the R-S2 and the Vortice really come down to 2 things. Price VS Replaceable sole. I personally have never worn out a sole on any boot, so I'm going with price. The Vortice might be just the boot for you!

On the other hand, the new Teknic Violator boot is coming out this year and it also incorporates a replaceable sole and toe slider. Has a cinch style enclosure at the top and is stated to be their most comfortable boot to date for MUCH less money than the Sidi. I have yet to have one in my hand but its something to keep an eye on. After all Teknic is a great company, making great products.

Is it ok for me to post this info in this section if someone asks?
    Brian Robertson

Authorized Dealer - Woodcraft, Armour Bodies, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bridgestone, TechSpec and Race Bike Hoodies
    www.facebook.com/SpeedinMotorsports <- Come hang out with us and give us a 'LIKE'

Senior Member Amateur

I would have worn the Sidi boots myself because it had the replaceable piece on the bottom. I've seen boots with holes worn straight though and figured I'd end up wearing through them quickly but those boots were too narrow for my feet and ended up with A-Stars. I've had two pairs of A-Stars and haven't worn through either one but that may depend on the foot pegs I'm using, which are Woodcrafts compared to maybe the vortex foot pegs. Do you guys wear through your boots regardless of the peg or is it because you use the gnarly ones?

Senior Member Expert
    I currently have the alpinestars boots and the mild woodcraft pegs (Newer versions have a little bit more bite) and I wore through them. Not 100% through them but almost. I found most all of last year that all 5 of my toes would go numb for the day and a few would stay numb for a few days with some feeling but not full feeling because of the pressure points.

So it definitely is time to replace it with a new boot regardless of brand.

See the following for details about the rules of posting things related to advertisements. ( http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...t=vendor+posts )

I don't think anything so far meets the criteria but wanted to help keep things nice and jolly around here. My comment was preventative.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Thanks Kevin! :lol:

Bryant, I know many people you use the woodcraft pegs and still wear through their boots! Many factors at including riding style, body weight, and the compound of the sole by various manufacturers.
    Brian Robertson

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedin' Motorsports

Bryant, I know many people you use the woodcraft pegs and still wear through their boots! Many factors at including riding style, body weight, and the compound of the sole by various manufacturers.
    Saweet...I think Brian just called me skinny!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedin' Motorsports

Saweet...I think Brian just called me skinny!
    I think he is flirting with you. Let him buy you a drink now!
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    I had the sidis as well...(not the rich man vortices, but the poor mans something or anothers) The only issue with the replaceable sole, is the inner sole is not, and when I say inner sole its the hard plastic (behind the rubber sole), not the rubber sole. Make sense? probably not...

When fat kids like me have so much weight on their pegs it actually starts to cup the plastic in, and is not reversible...I managed to punch through the sole, all the way through the plastic and padding straight into my foot during the 4 hour... its a fat kid thing... but I think I'm gonna get used Sidis again anyways. That is when I hit the sperm bank and can afford them... I like the adjustability of the sidis, fit like a glove and aren't super heavy.

A stars came flying off my foot in a wreck my novice year and felt like tube socks on a weiner...yeah just like that...not right at all eh? So I am biased, but all I have ever had since are hand me down sidis off ebay, so my advice probably shouldn't be trusted....
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by NossLou
    When fat kids like me have so much weight on their pegs ... its a fat kid thing...
    I know what you mean!

... my advice probably shouldn't be trusted....
    Hasn't that always been the case? :lol:
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    When fat kids like me have so much weight on their pegs ... its a fat kid thing...
    I know what you mean!

... my advice probably shouldn't be trusted....
    Hasn't that always been the case? :lol:

Whatchya sayn' Ginger? :shock:
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    I've worn the same Sidi Vertigo boots Lenski is referring to. I have the Vertigo Air version which are the perforated leather version, awesome on hot days. I have worn through the rubber sole every year with the old mild woodcraft pegs, but that was about 80-90 sprint races a year, and soles are about $90 a set. Great fit for narrow foot type, and an awesome extra heel protection piece. They've saved my foot in a crash when the bike laid on my leg in the crash. One big factor I liked is that they are made in Italy, not china or vietnam!
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports