Thread: BMW Mechanic

Member Novice

BMW Mechanic

Hey anyone out there happen to be a BMW mechanic or know a decent amount about them? I am pretty handy, but my e46 330xi started up rough last night, and today, wouldn't start at all, and can't seem to figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Shaun

Senior Member Amateur
    What diagnostic steps have you tried so far?
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Member Novice
    Plugged into it and got the following codes:

7: Main relay: switching delay
    143: Tank-leak diagnosis with DMTL
    18: Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust
    250: FA Function check, tank ventilation
    228: Fuel trim bank 2, permissible range exceeded
    227: Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded

Also pulled the back seat to listen to the fuel pump turn over when turning the key to position 2, and it didnt have a happy little high pitch sound like a happy pump would, but kinda a soft grinding really quiet sound. So guessing that's gotta be what it is. Other ones are from when I did emissions a couple weeks ago I'm guessing.

Shaun

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucky
    Plugged into it and got the following codes:

7: Main relay: switching delay
    143: Tank-leak diagnosis with DMTL
    18: Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust
    250: FA Function check, tank ventilation
    228: Fuel trim bank 2, permissible range exceeded
    227: Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded

Also pulled the back seat to listen to the fuel pump turn over when turning the key to position 2, and it didnt have a happy little high pitch sound like a happy pump would, but kinda a soft grinding really quiet sound. So guessing that's gotta be what it is. Other ones are from when I did emissions a couple weeks ago I'm guessing.

Shaun
    Does the car try to crank at all? A camshaft sensor could throw the car into fail safe mode as well. If the car was running rough before it wouldn't turn over at all then it could be the pump and you just have low fuel pressure if any at all then.
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Junior Member Novice
    I just happen to be a bmw tech a completley dead cam sensor will not allow it to start but my guesse is your fuel pump is bad get a hammer and bang on the fuel tank on thee passenger side while someone cranks it over if it fires up a little then the fuel pump is toast the mixture codes are usually from the non return valve having an air leak and the tank codes are usually ffrom the seal on the gas cap cracking

Member Novice
    Got a new pump, stuffed it in, and fired right up. Removed all the errors, and it isnt throwing up any new ones so I'm crossing my fingers that was the only problem. Thanks for the help tho.