Thread: Steering Damper on a Ninja 250

Junior Member Novice

Steering Damper on a Ninja 250

Has anyone rigged up a steering damper on a Ninja 250? Mine could use one. Ebay does show two different ones. Not sure what really works well (if any).
    Ninja 250
    Ducati 1098
    Team Desperation Racing
    "Where Desperate Men Do Desperate Things"

Senior Member Expert
    If you are having problems with the front of the ninja you likely have another issue with setup or equipment functionality. They are really pretty stable bikes.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Member Amateur
    I have to agree with Bueller. You really shouldn't need one on the 250 in my experience. What is the bike doing that makes you think you need one?

Junior Member Novice
    Falling over

Really, it's just that I see that other bikes have them. (sometimes they are required. Not sure about that, not really sure about ANYTHING in this sport). Was wondering if mine should have one. If others find its not necessary, it probably isn't. I asked because I didn't know....
    Ninja 250
    Ducati 1098
    Team Desperation Racing

Senior Member Expert
    It's for sure not necessary - it's the only category in the MRA that we exempt from the requirement because the bike is really pretty stable.

Tires, tire pressure, rear suspension linkage, body position etc all have HUGE impacts on this bikes handling.

The bike is especially sensitive to front tire and tire pressure changes. If you are having stability issues - I would start there along with investigating front and rear ride height. A steering damper would be a band aid if you're having stability problems with this model

Best of luck

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Why does this forum repeat posts???
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    It's for sure not necessary - it's the only category in the MRA that we exempt from the requirement because the bike is really pretty stable.

Tires, tire pressure, rear suspension linkage, body position etc all have HUGE impacts on this bikes handling.

The bike is especially sensitive to front tire and tire pressure changes. If you are having stability issues - I would start there along with investigating front and rear ride height. A steering damper would be a band aid if you're having stability problems with this model

Best of luck

Scott
    What Scott said, took the words right out of my mouth.

If you "band-aid" the current problem with a damper, there is a good chance another problem will either surface, or be created as a result.
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Junior Member Novice
    I have Michelin "Power One" A on the front. And a Michelin Power One on the back. They have been on the bike since it was new in 2009 and are hardly worn. They seem to be doing ok, not dried out and have lots of grip and wearing normally. What air pressure would you suggest running?

Also, this bike came with the standard handle bar setup. I take it the Woodcraft lower bars would be a good idea?

Thanks for the info.
    Ninja 250
    Ducati 1098
    Team Desperation Racing

President Expert
    4 years is a long time to use the same set of tires. Are you sure the front tire isn't cupped? That would definately cause some stability issues. What condition are the forks in?
    Changing the bars isnt going to solve an existing issue with the front end. They will allow you to adjust the position of the bars and also make it easier to be in tuck position.
    MRA #29

Junior Member Novice
    Yeah, probably should spring for a new set of tires. What would folks suggest?

As for fork (and shock) condition, I dunno. Any suggestions on a mechanic that would?
    Ninja 250
    Ducati 1098
    Team Desperation Racing

President Expert
    All four of the major tire brands are good. Refer to the vendor sub-forum for their info - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=12
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    I would agree with Jim those tires are getting pretty old. Unfortunately Michelin isn't makeing the 110 front or the 150 rears anymore so they are probably out unless you find some on the internet somewhere. For the time being I would roccomend starting those tires at 30 psi front and 26 psi rear cold. Check your hot temps and shoot for 33 front and 28 rear hot (actually just off the track on a hot lap not just on the warmers)
    MRA #406
    406 Racing
    Michelin
    Speedin Motorsports
    RockyMtnPhotos
    STM Suspension
    Custom Collision Repair
    420science.com

Senior Member Amateur
    The only race organization that I've heard of that requires the use of a steering damper on a Ninja 250 is WERA.
    MRA #137
    CVMA #137x

Senior Member Expert
    Those tires sound almost new to me......... hahaha. JK each tire has it's own life, and sometimes they will go away and start doing weird things, so possible. I agree with Rybo and Brownie on the band aid, great feedback. I would also add that sometimes a bike moving around can be turned into an unstable front end because of tight rider input as well. I Love the feeling of almost no damper personally.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports