Thread: I lost my health insurance, can i still race?

Thumbs Up! Amateur

I lost my health insurance, can i still race?

I recently lost my job that provided me with my health insurance coverage. Does this mean that I am ineligible to race until I regain coverage?
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Senior Member Expert
    I wouldn't but that's just me. Who pays your medical bills when you crash and get seriously hurt? Any idea what flight for life costs from HPR to Denver?

Senior Member Amateur
    I agree with what Mike said. As far as I know, there is nothing in the rule book prohibiting you to race without health insurance but it is by no means recommended. One bad accident and you are going to be out some very serious $$$.
    Brandon

For instance my PMP T4 crash in 2010 was: $87,000 bill from St. Mary Corwin :shock: :shock: :shock: Jing like that is hard to come up with, so think about everything bud. Bankrupcy would be the only option for some if no insurance.
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

I got a good policy here for 210.00 a month. 100% paid coverage

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com
    Randall "Snowman" Turner
    MRA No.427 - Honda CBR600rr Fireblade

Senior Member Expert
    Many different obtions are available to us self employed, unemployed or those who are married to the employed, so don't fret. You've got plenty of time to get covered before the season starts. in the meantime, pickup the phone and call ehealth insurance, Cover Colorado or most any insurance company will have an obtion, just explain your situation and of course it would be best if you do this while trying to find a new job...... Mike Vihil comes to mind, anyone have his number?
    Again Randle I would lose more sleep over not having a job than insurance coverage at your age. You're young heallthy and hopefully will remain happy for years to come. Welcome to the new economy but then again Obama promised us health care right? Best of luck and I'm sure to see you out there come May.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Mike Vigil comes to mind, anyone have his number?

http://www.benefitsblvd.com/
    MRA #29

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    Thanks for all the info. I am employed still, just not with benefits anymore. I am hoping to get a promotion before the season starts that will include insurance. I dont plan on actually racing until i get covered but i still want to go to the new rider school and get my license and was just thought i read in the rule book that you had to be covered.
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Senior Member Expert
    It's not required by MRA rules, but *highly* recommended by everyone. Even if someone does a fundraiser for your broken ass, it will barely make a dent in the bills a solid crash can create. Someone mentioned the helo ride from HPR - if medics perceive any kind of imminent life threat, you are being flown. Without insurance you're already several thousand in the hole before you even get to the ER door. Even without a life threat, something as simple as a broken arm or collarbone can run into several thousand dollars, particularly with followup care. Also bear in mind an ER is only required to treat you initially - followups can be denied on financial grounds if they know you can't pay. I know the OP indicated they wouldn't race without insurance, but I'm pointing out the ramifications for others that may venture here.

Racing without health coverage isn't just irresponsible, it's one of the most outright stupid things you can do in this sport.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    "Racing without health coverage isn't just irresponsible, it's one of the most outright stupid things you can do in this sport."

X1000

Senior Member Amateur
    Health insurance is just a drop in the bucket out of my $500,000 racing budget. :lol:
    #279 Chris Sorensen (Track Marshal)
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Sol Performance - Pirelli
    Imperial Sportbikes
    Puma - Snug Harbor Motorsports
    ScorpionExo
    Woodcraft
    STM Suspension
    Mad-Moto
    Foothills Triumph