Thread: Front Brake Problems!!! need help

Junior Member Novice

Front Brake Problems!!! need help

CBR 600RR 04

I been having problems with my bike “front brakes”
    The brake feels fine if the front tire does not move, when I move the front tire the brake does not have any pressure. I pump the brake again and then goes back to normal.
    I change the calipers, I change the fluid but did not solve the problem, and then I move to the rotors (maybe they are bend), I got a used set of rotors “not sure if they are bend as well” and I continue to have the same problem.
    Everything I research online is telling me the rotors are bend because when you move the front tire the rotors move the calipers side ways if they bend. This creates for the brake not to have any pressure.

Has anybody experience this problem?
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

Yep I have had that happen as well, I put on new rotors and pads & no more issues. You may be able to pick up some new EBC rotors or similar for cheaper than buying new OEM rotors, or getting more bent used rotors. Good luck
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    rotors are bent, OR, the bracket (or tangs on the forks??) that holds the calipers on is bent. not sure the setup on the bike...

If you loosen the brake caliper bolts to finger tight does the problem improve?
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Junior Member Novice
    I been looking in Ebay and the "new, low price" rotors I find are on sale from hong kong, not sure if is safe to purchase stuff in ebay from hong kong.
    The used set of rotors I got gave me the same result with the brakes which sucks because I paid $100 for them.
    I removed the right caliper and then I move the front tire and no problem with the brakes. I put the right caliper back on and removed the left caliper and I get no brakes at all which tells me is the right rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE A
    Yep I have had that happen as well, I put on new rotors and pads & no more issues. You may be able to pick up some new EBC rotors or similar for cheaper than buying new OEM rotors, or getting more bent used rotors. Good luck

Junior Member Novice
    when I got back from my last track day I accidently drop the bike on my trailer on the right side and that is when the problem started, I am assuming the bike landed on the spare tire on the trailer and the right front rotor hold all the front weight and bend the rotor.
    could it also bend the fork or moved the fork?

Thanks for all the help guys, before I buy new rotors I want to make sure all the other options are out.

Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    rotors are bent, OR, the bracket (or tangs on the forks??) that holds the calipers on is bent. not sure the setup on the bike...

If you loosen the brake caliper bolts to finger tight does the problem improve?

President Expert
    Sounds like you bent the rotor when you dropped it. Be careful buying used rotors or rotors from Hong Kong. Your brakes working correctly is very important.
    MRA #29

Junior Member Novice
    I purchase used rotors from california and I got the same problem, I guess these set of used rotors are bend as well, they feel better then the ones I had before when I rotate the tire because they dont seem to have much movement on the calipers.

do you think it might also moved the fork enough to create this problem.
    I have not yet move the forks on the bike I guess I can try that approach before getting new rotors.

Senior Member Expert
    An easy test rather than moving the forks would be to just mount the front rim backwards if your bike can do it either way. See if it follows the rotor or the fork. This would be easier to put your mind at rest.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Junior Member Novice
    If I remember the rim is set up to be install in one direction, according to the holes on the rim. I don't know much about the rims but I can try that and see if is doable.

thanks for the help guys. this issue is driving crazy.
    I do not want to crash because of no front brakes!!!!

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    not sure if this is an option, but can you have the rotors re-surfaced by a shop?
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Senior Member Expert
    Other tests-

1) take off one caliper and rotor and put that rotor in a "fixed" position in the removed caliper (so that it doesn't spin") Then you can test one side at a time and see if it's one rotor that's bent or two. Repeat for the other side.

2) Take off both rotors and place them on a very flat surface (granite countertops generally aren't too bad actually) Then use a feeler gauge see if you can find gaps that are larger or smaller than others.

3) Take the pads out of the calipers and don't squeeze the lever - then measure left to right and assure that the rotor is centered in the caliper (good test for if the fork mounts are bent)

4) Same set up as above, spin the wheel and see if you can detect left to right motion of the rotor in the calipers.

You can do all of these tests without any real special tools - sure you need a good counter top and a set of feeler gauges for one, but neither of those is all that special.

I agree with Mr. Wilson above. I would only buy brake parts from a reputable source, and in the case of rotors, unless I knew exactly where they came from, I probably wouldn't buy used. Sure, new ones are expensive. Not stopping when you need to can easily cost more.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    Another option is to take the entire wheel (with rotors attached ) to woody's. Have them spin the wheel to see if the rotors are bent. They will straighten them for something list $25 a rotor
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    You guys are all crazy, haha. You could spend more money on spare parts or 4 more hours taking all kinds of stuff apart, seperate, back together, spin it backwards, bounce the front end just right, etc., and maybe get a better "guess" as to which side is the worst...... OR have the Total Included Latteral runout checked, and corrected on the bike which is the most accurate, and is needed any time a rotor is repositioned on the wheel regardless of new or used. I can do this for you. If you can be positive that the foks are in alignment radially, and laterally then you can have the rotors trued off the vehicle. Woody's or I can do this. The only refinishing method that is acceptable on Stainless front brakes is a media blasting and washing process to prep the rotor surface for a change of compound of new brake pads. This process will not correct rotor parallelism, or rotor flatness runout beyond which can be trued within specification. Give me a call if you need any of this done for you at 303-430-(REPAIR)7372. Good luck.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastt Racing
    You guys are all crazy, haha. You could spend more money on spare parts or 4 more hours taking all kinds of stuff apart, seperate, back together, spin it backwards, bounce the front end just right, etc., and maybe get a better "guess" as to which side is the worst...... OR have the Total Included Latteral runout checked, and corrected on the bike which is the most accurate, and is needed any time a rotor is repositioned on the wheel regardless of new or used. I can do this for you. If you can be positive that the foks are in alignment radially, and laterally then you can have the rotors trued off the vehicle. Woody's or I can do this. The only refinishing method that is acceptable on Stainless front brakes is a media blasting and washing process to prep the rotor surface for a change of compound of new brake pads. This process will not correct rotor parallelism, or rotor flatness runout beyond which can be trued within specification. Give me a call if you need any of this done for you at 303-430-(REPAIR)7372. Good luck.
    ^ what Dennis said

> what I heard:

blah blah blah blah (just call dennis) blah blah blah

/end

In all reality - Dennis is a skilled mechanic and a great guy.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    or at least he's a skilled mechanic...

:shock:

:lol:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Junior Member Novice
    Thank you all for the tips.
    This weekend I am planning to do some additional tests and see if I can find where the problem is coming from.
    If not I will contact Dennis or Woodys and have a proffesional tell me what is wrong with my brakes.

you guys are great!!!!

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks Tony! As for the questions, your welcome dude, I hope you get the issue squared away so you can utilize your motorcycle to kick my butt this next season!
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Junior Member Novice
    Rotors got fix and now my brakes work
    Rotors were bend
    Thanks guys for all the help

qu!kote="Fastt Racing"]Thanks Tony! As for the questions, your welcome dude, I hope you get the issue squared away so you can utilize your motorcycle to kick my butt this next season![/quote]