Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 Pike Peak Hill Climb. Who's in?

Member Novice
    I said roughly 100 based on how many were supposed to be there so obviously that wasn't accurate. However, just because cars were supposed to take off 20-30 secs apart doesn't mean they did. A bunch of us personally observed multiple cars that were clearly in the same class come by us up to 8 mins apart. There were times when we watched a car come across the finish and could see the next car going into bottomless pit. This happened over and over. Im not saying all this should have been anticipated last year or that there was a solution on the spot but there is room to improve. Regardless of what the numbers are there is a better way. Its been done in the past. It should take longer to run the cars but five times as long to run fewer cars? Whether they need more ambulances or more cops or more tow trucks, or just a different running order, there is a way. I am actually optimistic about it.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by archie251
    I said roughly 100 based on how many were supposed to be there so obviously that wasn't accurate. However, just because cars were supposed to take off 20-30 secs apart doesn't mean they did. A bunch of us personally observed multiple cars that were clearly in the same class come by us up to 8 mins apart. There were times when we watched a car come across the finish and could see the next car going into bottomless pit. This happened over and over. Im not saying all this should have been anticipated last year or that there was a solution on the spot but there is room to improve. Regardless of what the numbers are there is a better way. Its been done in the past. It should take longer to run the cars but five times as long to run fewer cars? Whether they need more ambulances or more cops or more tow trucks, or just a different running order, there is a way. I am actually optimistic about it.
    True, true. But, based on the fact that they didn't enforce the 115% rule and there were some REALLY slow cars....perhaps they did let them go at 30 sec intervals, though LoL

There's lots that could be done, but I think the best steps would be to do a better job of vetting the qualifications of the entrants and strictly enforcing the qualifying cutoff. I guess it doesn't matter to me, though, since my 1000cc bike is 'not safe'...
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Member Novice
    I agree about the vetting. Its as much a problem with some bikes too. The problem is, how do you say no to someone who has raced it every year for the last 20 years? I dont have an answer for that.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by archie251
    I agree about the vetting. Its as much a problem with some bikes too. The problem is, how do you say no to someone who has raced it every year for the last 20 years? I dont have an answer for that.
    I agree. I passed some guys in practice that couldn't find the racing line if we painted it on the road for them.

It's hard not to "grandfather" in the guys who have been doing it for years, but for some of them this is the ONLY race they do and it's debatable if that really makes them "qualified". For the new competitors, if it were up to me you'd have to show a minimum of 5 seasons of competition in either roadracing or supermoto. And not just a couple races per year, consistent participation and at least decent finishes.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Member Novice
    Unfortunately there arent that many true experts entering. Bikes are second fiddle as it is and I wouldn't want to see 35 bikes entered and all of the sudden we're unnecessary. Maybe that will change over the next few years with full pavement. Im also rooting for Carlin (or anyone really) to set the overall record next year. If the fastest vehicle ever was a motorcycle, that would be great for all the bike classes.

Junior Member Novice

at least ive been billed

All i hear us that theres no way i can get in since my bike is too fast.
    However yesterday i opened up my credit card bill and saw that i have been billed $2600 by the PPIHC. LOL, does that mean i still in?

Senior Member Expert

Re: at least ive been billed

Quote Originally Posted by cneske
    All i hear us that theres no way i can get in since my bike is too fast.
    However yesterday i opened up my credit card bill and saw that i have been billed $2600 by the PPIHC. LOL, does that mean i still in?
    $2600? It's $1200 to enter the exhibition class, what else did you buy?

And just because they charged your card doesn't mean you're in. They won't make the decision until after the deadline, if you aren't accepted then they refund your entry fee.
    The GECCO

Junior Member Novice
    Plus 4 days of practice, which is apparently very expensive

Senior Member Expert
    ah, yes, $350/day
    The GECCO

Member Novice

Pikes Peak Hill Climb

Hey everyone. We are one rider short of the six needed for the 250 class. If anyone is still contemplating, they are accepting entries even though the deadline has passed.

Senior Member Expert
    I'm not surprised on the light turn out. Raise the entry fee by 75% will have the effect. That being said I sent my entry in, just not in your class. What bike you riding this year?

Member Novice
    Doing one more year on my YZ250. Hopefully. I spent way too much building that thing for one year!

Senior Member Expert
    That makes sense and its not slow
    How did you find out about the signup numbers?

Member Novice
    Megan emailed me (and other 250 riders I think) asking us if we knew anyone to fill the 6th spot.

Senior Member Expert
    I see, well nothing to me about the superbike class so maybe its a go. If they dont get 6 what will they do? Put you in exhibition?
    The GECCO

Senior Member Expert
    Sorry that was me posting from the computer at HPR, not Glenn

Member Novice
    Megan Implied that I could ride up a class but I'm not sure of that. I don't know where you would got up to so I would assume exhibition. I'm not about to do that so I'd have to either built a different bike or withdraw altogether. I'm pretty confident though that we'll get the sixth rider. I know two different guys who are thinking really hard about it.

Member Novice
    If anyone is still thinking about it. I know a guy who is willing to loan out his cr250, completely set up.

Senior Member Expert
    So even though registration closed on Jan 14th they are still allowing people to signup? They had to know by raising the entry fee so much this would hurt signups. Im curious to see what the Competitor list will look like.

Member Novice
    As far as I know, they are only extending the deadline to get the sixth 250 rider. That being said, they don't think they raised entry fees because the new $700 fee is in the middle of the sliding scale they used last year, even though virtually everyone paid the low initial fee and every rider I speak to is of the same opinion. 75% increase.

Junior Member Novice

...now what

Im in! Is there going to be a MRA presence there?
    Being the social butterfly that i am i have acquired exactly 0 reliable friends. Can i tag along with somone else?

Member Novice
    By "I'm in", do you mean that you're racing? If so, what class? I'm open to having someone tag along during the practice days but I live in Colorado Springs so maybe that doesn't help.

Junior Member Novice
    Im in means i have received my letter of acceptance. Since im on a 1000 i guess ill be in the exhibition class. I also signed up for all the practice days.

I have a lot of questions too, ie tires, what do i need to have at the top, etc.

If anyones done it before i would like to go over some details.

Member Novice
    I can't help you with bike stuff but procedures and schedules I have a pretty good grasp on. Glenn or Mike Appelhans probably have the setup stuff close.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12