View Poll Results: Should the Supersport tire rule be opened up to any DOT, slick, or full rain tire to help simplify w

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I think we should allow any mass produced DOT, slick, or full rain tire in all classes except Prod 250.

12 36.36%
  • No. I think we should continue to limit the (3) Supersport classes to a DOT, or full rain tire only, for some strange reason.

20 60.61%
  • I think we should change the tire rules in some other way. Please specify below.

1 3.03%

Thread: 2.2.2 Supersport Tire Rule Debate

Senior Member Expert

2.2.2 Supersport Tire Rule Debate

Here is the place to voice your input for or against this rule change. Thanks Pete. You beat me to it, as I missed the rule change deadline last year by a few days for this rule change proposal.

I agree that we should allow slick tires in the supersport classes. I don't think slicks and DOT's are that much different to make or break competitiveness. The slicks are only a very small amount of money more expensive, and seem to last a little longer and not exhibit tread groove abnormal wear like DOT's can, which shorten the DOT's useable life. It sucks for the people running Superbike classes and other classes during the weekend to feel like they are stuck running DOT's because of chassis settings. For myself I ran slicks in Novice and liked them. I could run slicks in 8 of my 11 expert and amature classes a weekend, but feel like I am forced to run DOT's all weekend because of the 3 supersport classes that are the only way for me to get to do sprint races on Saturday.

Opening up the tire rule will give racers more options, and may even help them save a little money not needing extra wheels and tire sets for different classes as well. If a racer chooses to run DOT's because they prefer them, they will IMO not be at a significant disadvantage because of this. They can also change over to slicks and get used to them if they feel the need, because they are allowed in every other class we have but Production 250, which does not apply to this particular rule change, but could also be included if the 250 guys would like to open up slicks in that class as well. Thanks for the consideration!

Sorry for the typo corrections.

I also think that the selection of Full rain, then DOT, then Slick gives a safe choice of tire for most all conditions. I don't think that an intermediate racing specific tire is really needed in club racing. They are expensive & hardly ever used, so racers don't want to have to buy them, and the vendors do not want to sit on these in inventory either. Another tire rule change idea may be to also remove the intermediate tire from being allowed in all classes? All but ROR? or maybe something like that?
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Before casting a vote, I am unsure if this rule is somehow connected to the YAMAHA/HONDA/KAWISAKI/SUZUKI/DUCATI factories supersport class podium cash payouts.... If it is required to have DOT's on in supersport to be eligable I would vote to keep DOT's.
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of "supersport" ????? :shock:
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Expert
    Here are my concerns and opinions:

1) I do not feel that a slick gives me any substantial grip difference and based on my lap times between sat and sun when I run a rear DOT and rear slick there isn't any noticeable advantage. Especially since I run a front DOT all year for all classes.

2) I do find that the slicks seems to last just a touch longer and are easier to get the settings correct on.

3) I do not currently nor foresee myself ever having a bike that is new enough to qualify for any factory contingency so I do not have any personal stake in this. However for principal, I would think we need to do whatever option will always give racers with new bikes to qualify for contingency without being at any substantial performance disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by loujr, AKA - ' ' I intentionally park it going in a turn in front of ginger for fun to kill his drive' '
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of "supersport" ????? Shocked
    4) In all other performance aspects I still feel that supersport is still valid and it does not defeat the purpose.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    My thoughts are this, we are racing and we are on racing tires and any tire can be DOT all that needs be done is for the manufacturer to fill out a form to make it DOT, racing DOTs are for sale to the general public but are priced to try to keep them off of them as they are not really good street tires and are meant to be on the racetrack only but because of the rules of supersport they have to be made avalable to everyone. Seems silly to me, most of the people who watch SS prolly understand that while the guys on TV maybe on Dunlops or Bridgestones they are not on the same tires they ride on the street with so would anybody watching really care if it was slicks instead of DOTs, do we need the illusion street legal, I would say no we don't.
    Also would tires be cheaper if tire MFGs only had to develop slicks and rains and trackside vendors could carry a smaller inventory cause everyone would be on more or less the same tire.
    Anywho thats my thoughts Bartman

Senior Member Amateur
    I don't have a dog in the fight here...So I really don't care what the rest of you want to do. But if we are going to eliminate the requirements for supersport tires, then throw out all the supersport classes from the schedule. We will have only the existing superbike and grand prix classes.
    Then when these supersport classes are gone...We can add to our superstreet program and add a few more "spec" classes like Ninja 250.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JWinter
    I don't have a dog in the fight here...So I really don't care what the rest of you want to do. But if we are going to eliminate the requirements for supersport tires, then throw out all the supersport classes from the schedule. We will have only the existing superbike and grand prix classes.
    Then when these supersport classes are gone...We can add to our superstreet program and add a few more "spec" classes like Ninja 250.
    Your point is well taken, but the supersport classes are the ONLY place left where the manufacturers are still paying any contingency. It would be a big shame to lose that in a world where almost ALL of the other contingency dollars have dried up.

S
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Expert
    That and it is one of the few places on the bigger bikes where motor mods are restricted. I wouldn't want to lose that either. Its more than just tires that are restricted in supersport. I like the idea of battling someone that I know hasn't dropped their wallet in the bike just to beat me.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    That and it is one of the few places on the bigger bikes where motor mods are restricted. I wouldn't want to lose that either. Its more than just tires that are restricted in supersport. I like the idea of battling someone that has a stock motor...but KILLS MY DRIVE! just to beat me.

FIXED!!!
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Junior Member Novice
    ASMA, CVMA, USBA, & WERA all allow slicks to be used in Supersport classes. Some of these organizations have manufacturer contingency programs as well, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Most other clubs do require DOT tires in Supersport classes.

I would like to see slicks allowed in MRA Supersport classes. I don't see a good reason not to, but apparently I'm in the minority.

Ray

Mohammer Time! Expert
    WERA allows slicks in select SS classes, not all of them

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TRK
    WERA allows slicks in select SS classes, not all of them
    Do we know what their reasoning is that differentiates them?
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    We just checked, and Suzuki pays contingency in both the MWSS & HWSS classes on racing slicks in the USBA, as well as other contingency. They would pay in OSS, but that class does not exist in USBA. Specific class rules for the particular organization seem to have little to no bearing on manufacturer or parts contingency offered, as long as the overall definition of Superstock / Supersport exists. This is the case nationwide.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    No tire limitations! :twisted: