Thread: Noob here....

Senior Member Amateur

Noob here....

So decided to take the dive next year, get my ass off the street for good and be at the track as much as I can (thanks Siob!)... So with that said my question is this and it may seem like an obvious one to most here but my newb behind wants guidance lol... Would it be more beneficial to pay for the race school and obtain the license or just race 2 superstreets and go like that. I am looking at cost of benefit given I am in a tight tight budget but also want to do things right. Does anyone know what the cost for race school will be? Thanks!
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Thumbs Up! Amateur
    I am also going to be a rookie next year, and the one thing that I've learned going from trackday to raceday is that the best money you can spend to make you a better/faster rider is on schools/instruction. Definitely do the rider school, and maybe a Superstreet race or two just to get your feet wet in a race scenario. I believe the race school is $200 and it is a few hours of classroom and a ENTIRE day of instruction and track time. The school is worth more then Superstreet ($100) which is only an hour of instruction on racing procedures, not racing specifics and maybe a 30 min session of practice, two launch drills, and a 10 lap race. Basically with the school, for an extra $100 you get 5 times more instruction and 8 times more track time!

If your budget is tight, then concentrate on spending your money on track time instead of parts. Make sure you get your forks and shock serviced, change out your brake fluid and check your pads, and buy take off tires before you buy performance parts!

just my .02
    Where the beer flows like wine and the women flock like the salmon of Capistrano, I'm talkin about a little place called... Asssspen!

MRA #934
    www.carbon-smith.com

Senior Member Amateur
    Yea the bike Im getting needs very little, suspension has been refreshed too and everything is pretty new. Major deal is adjusting the suspension to my weight and a softer spring. I did superstreet for the first time this past August and it was awesome, the street will never be the same lol... I just thought that the school was way more and do wish I would've gotten more track time practice wise so looks like the school is the better option.
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Expert
    School is $200

He pretty muNAIA swedes it. But Hit me up with questions.
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    School is $200

He pretty muNAIA swedes it. But Hit me up with questions.
    muNAIA swedes it? Also what are the dates for the school? Just want to know way ahead so I can plan and ask for the time off at work too. Thanks JB!

Damir G

Senior Member Expert
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller999
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=15303
    Thank you sir!

Damir G

Junior Member Novice
    Alright sounds like the MRA race school is definitely the way to go then. Thanks for posting this question!

Senior Member Amateur
    Also another noob one, as far as a transponder and stuff how do I go about that?

Damir G

Junior Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by MadVlad
    Also another noob one, as far as a transponder and stuff how do I go about that?
    Check the classified section in this forum, and http://weraclassifieds.com/ religiously. Don't wait to act on one you want, because it will be sold in 15 minutes.

You can also rent them, $50 per weekend if I remember correctly.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by fearandlove
    Check the classified section in this forum, and http://weraclassifieds.com/ religiously. Don't wait to act on one you want, because it will be sold in 15 minutes.

You can also rent them, $50 per weekend if I remember correctly.
    $275+ for one? Holy mother of Gawd! Lol... Thanks for the link, I'll keep my eye out for something a bit cheaper. Didnt think they were that much

Damir G

Senior Member Expert
    They sell for $250 pretty much all the time. You can find them cheaper once in a while in the off season. I have an extra but have not decided what I am going to do with it yet.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller999
    They sell for $250 pretty much all the time. You can find them cheaper once in a while in the off season. I have an extra but have not decided what I am going to do with it yet.
    If you do decide to part ways lmk. At least I know how much I need to save up for few odds and ends lol

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    May seem like a dumb question but are transponders required to race?

Damir G

Senior Member Expert
    If you want to be scored and timed, I would say yes. The MRA also rents them out everyweekend if you can't find one before the season starts
    Colorado's Dunlop Tire Vendor
    www.throttleforyourbottle.com

Yes, they are required. As Louden said we rent them at the track. However, if your planning on racing a full season It would be beneficial to purchase your own.
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Junior Member Novice
    No one really answered the question, "How do I get a transponder?" except to say to "keep and eye out for them in the classifieds". Well SOMEONE must sell them. I don't see them on Ebay! Wow, you can buy just about ANYTHING on Ebay. What are they? like TOP SECRET?
    Ninja 250
    Ducati 1098
    Team Desperation Racing
    "Where Desperate Men Do Desperate Things"

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotbarr
    No one really answered the question, "How do I get a transponder?" except to say to "keep and eye out for them in the classifieds". Well SOMEONE must sell them. I don't see them on Ebay! Wow, you can buy just about ANYTHING on Ebay. What are they? like TOP SECRET?
    You CAN buy them new, but they're around $450 new. So the norm is to buy a used one to save some money, but they tend to go quick.

One alternative is to rent one from the MRA each weekend you race but that can add up. I think it's $50 a weekend to rent one.

Another alternative is a "FLEX" subscription from the company that makes the transponder. I don't know of anyone that has gone that route but it seems to work out to $150 for the first year and then ~$80 each year after to keep the subscription. Basically, in 2 years, you probably could have bought one used for what it would cost you to rent one from them, but it's an option.

Reference:
    http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_e...ex_transponder

Cheers,
    Jamie
    MRA #88

Senior Member Amateur
    Here you go. This is where you buy them new, but I only know of one person to ever buy one new.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=AMB

rohorn
    Bought mine from Pegasus as well - just wired it up and bolted it to the bike last week, just in time to, uh, sit there.

Their catalog is car oriented, but they sell some useful bits and pieces that I can't find elsewhere.

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotbarr
    Check out weraclassifieds, they pop up there for a good price from time to time

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    If you want to buy a new one talk to Chris Dale "the scoring god".