Thread: '01 SV650 racebike

Senior Member Amateur

Senior Member Amateur

Wow.

Wow! Where is MotoMatt?
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Senior Member Amateur
    helluva deal. i would have already bought this if i knew i could commit to a full season next year, but that isn't the case.

Member Amateur
    Cool.

I contacted the seller. Looks mint.

Anyone know about Racecrafter pre-load adjustable front forks? Are they stock SV forks with Racecrafter internals, like RaceTech, or fully swapped out forks from another bike? I will do some research.

Thanks, Guys

Matt

Member Amateur
    I wish seller was an active MRA guy.

He has had the bike 3 years. The bike has sat and he thinks the carbs are gummed up. Was unsure if engine was stock.

Would need to buy a steering damper.

Matt

Senior Member Amateur

Sold

The posting is down. Who nabbed this? Give us the skinny! Does it run? Carbs jacked?
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Member Amateur
    I snagged it. Thanks for posting jgixxer.

I've been looking all summer for one nearby. Preferably, MRA. Will see if there is any buyer's remorse. Still excited to finally have one.

The carbs need work. It starts and idles, but dies if you give it any throttle. The gas smells terribly old. Worst I've ever smelled.

What shops does anyone recommend for working on carb'd SV?

I am going to dive in and see what I can do to get it sorted. Start by tackling the carbs with some parts cleaner, changing all the fluids, brake pads, and spark plugs.

Hopefully, get it on the track yet this year to figure out what needs work over the winter. Valves, etc.

Depending on how big of a project it turns into I will plan to post updates/lessons learned.

Thanks again.

Matt

Senior Member Amateur

Awesome!

Matt:

Congrats! I'm jealous as that thing looks pretty!

I would bet 100 bucks that with fresh gas, new plugs and a healthy going through th carbs with carb cleaner it will start and idle fine. The key will be to make sure you spray all the jets well so to get them unclogged. You probably already know this but just thought I would mention to save some dough.

I was hoping you would nab this! Well done!

Jason
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Amateur

Service Manual

PM sent re: free Suzuki Service Manual.

J
    MRA No. 51

Member Amateur
    Thanks, shRED. I appreciate it. I would have missed this completely if not for you guys.

I may have these manuals if they are the same as sv650.org forums: a photocopy PDF of an original. Super hard to see anything with any detail. Hopefully, these are better.

I dove in Monday and have been working like a mad scientist late each evening this week. I tore them completely apart and soaked them in parts cleaner. No light passed through the pilot jet. Completely, clogged.

I have them shiny clean and reassembled. I need to check the float height then ready to install them. Then check out the carb sync.

Will have to do some additional testing to figure out what jets are right. Currently, has a 140 main, and 17.5 pilot. The pilot screw was at 3 1/2, which seams pretty high.

I am hoping to get it to iMi for some simple testing as soon as I get it turned around.

How is your new bike shaking out? Ridden it yet?

Cheers
    Matt

Senior Member Amateur

New Bikes

Mr. Matt:

I'm very stoked for you!

I've got three track days at IMI so far, absolutely loving this scoot. I did a new best on Tuesday night of 105.00 flat (clockwise), which is flying for me. I just read Twist II and it had some real "Aha!" moments that I've been needing. Working now to implement.

I still need to get it sprung for my weight, but its a world better than the tuber I was riding before.

I will be at IMI this weekend if you want to have an SV day that would be cool!

I would be grateful if I could get some feedback from you on jetting and float bowl settings. I'm running at sea level so of course rich, had to clean the plugs last night.

I have a carb synch but haven't ever actually done it. (do you need one to synch? you can borrow..) You sound very carb tuning proficient - I did some a few years ago but that knowledge is old and cold to me now. Any feedback would be Much Appreciated.

Jason Redman (aka JRED, shRED, blah blah blah).
    MRA No. 51