Thread: Trailer Wiring!

Senior Member Amateur

Trailer Wiring!

So I got a trailer and for the life of me I can't get any of the lights to work. So I'm willing to pay someone to troubleshoot the problem for me. Just let me know what you charge an hour. I'm located in Englewood and flexible on time. :wink:
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Senior Member Amateur
    Usually it's corrosion and bad grounds that give you fits. Clean the connector plug and wire brush any ground connections.

Get yourself a test light / continuity meter and start poking at the lamp receptacles.

Failing that, sometimes you can get ready made harnesses and just rip out the old and put in the new.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    06 Thruxton \ 09 KLX250S "Gumby" \ 91 VFR750F
    (Sold list) 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350/Four / 03 BMW F650GSA / 08 Gixxer6 / 03 Gixxer6 "the bass boat"
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Senior Member Amateur
    Thats the thing ITS ALL BRAND NEW! NEW car, new trailer, new lights, motherfuckin new wood, new front wheel clamp.

That and I'm to lazy now to figure it out :wink:

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Senior Member Amateur
    Warranty?
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    No warranty at Harbor Freight son!

Senior Member Amateur
    My Harbor Freight trailer gave me a rough time too. It's almost certainly the ground. If it's one of their folding ones try to improve the ground at the rear lights by filing or sanding around the holes that the light brackets bolt onto. I'd offer to help but I have promised to cut down on my swearing, and trailer wiring is sure to foil that plan.
    MRA #88

Senior Member Amateur
    And being new? That ain't right... let me talk to some of the techs at work see if they're willing to take a look at it asap since I know you'll need it for PPIR. I'd give you a hand for free with it but well being an apprentice and electrical not being my forte doesn't help lol
    "We all take risks every day. Us who ride, know that. We calculate our risk with our reward and then strap on our gear and throw a leg over our trusty steeds. We know that it can end at any time. But we don't let that stop us from living our lives and doing that which we love."

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    If none of the lights work at all its probably a ground. Check the trailer by plugging it into a known good tow vehicle or check the car by plugging in a known good trailer. That will cut the possibilities in half, because it could be either the car or the trailer if everything is new. Then check every light ( ie turn, park and stop). Post up the results and ill see if I can walk you through getting it fixed.

Unless you want to drag it to my place in thorton. I don't mind helping ,but I'm way to lazy to drive to your place with tools.
    Adam's Sponsors: Kristie and Kevin McGuire, Chicane trackdays

Senior Member Amateur
    Does it have bulbs?
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayniac
    Does it have bulbs?
    This is the kind of helpful advice I'd usually expect from mister baker! LOL
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr
    My Harbor Freight trailer gave me a rough time too. It's almost certainly the ground. If it's one of their folding ones try to improve the ground at the rear lights by filing or sanding around the holes that the light brackets bolt onto. I'd offer to help but I have promised to cut down on my swearing, and trailer wiring is sure to foil that plan.
    I'll have to give that a try, I ground the paint off the tongue and the two sidelights, I'll give the back a try as well. I'm pretty sure its a ground issue but can't seem to track it down

Bulbs are installed :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by 303 cycle
    Bulbs are installed :lol:
    David, did you fill the bulb fluid though?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Senior Member Amateur
    ^^Fuck no, where is the wheel fluid suppose to go then? :wink:

Senior Member Amateur
    In the exhaust bearings brah 8)

Damir G

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayniac
    Does it have bulbs?
    This is the kind of helpful advice I'd usually expect from mister baker! LOL
    It was too easy, I had to do it! \/
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW