Thread: Effective immediately - superstreet limited to 26 riders!

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar

Effective immediately - superstreet limited to 26 riders!

Last edited by JimWilson29; October 17th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

glenngsxr
    I don't want to start a firestorm, but it's unbelievable to me that memberships are down and we are going to limit the number of new people that want to come race.

There is a very strong correlation to cost of racing vs membership. Superstreet has been wildly successful and it's a format we should move more classes closer to, not deter people from.

IMO, we should make room for more superstreet.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by glenngsxr
    I don't want to start a firestorm, but it's unbelievable to me that memberships are down and we are going to limit the number of new people that want to come race.

There is a very strong correlation to cost of racing vs membership. Superstreet has been wildly successful and it's a format we should move more classes closer to, not deter people from.

IMO, we should make room for more superstreet.
    Glenn -

I totally understand your point. At the same time we have to be sure that we can maintain the quality and safety of the program. The MRA's first commitment is to it's existing members (it is a club after all). To that end it would be inappropriate for us to massively adjust the race day schedule to accommodate additional superstreet time this late in the season, although I think that is a viable discussion for 2013.

Making the Saturday schedule even longer is also not an option. We already have our corner crew and track staff working 12 hours a day in sometimes harsh conditions. Asking them to do more is really outside of the scope of "reasonable".

In the end you are exactly right regarding MRA exposure to new people, but "more" isn't always "better". SuperStreet is both an instructional program and a marketing effort for the MRA. Reducing the quality of that program because we have too many people signed up on a given weekend is equally (or more) detrimental to the marketing effort than limiting participation so that we can assure the quality of the experience.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

glenngsxr
    I hear ya and I don't want my post to come off as rude. Just want to make sure all options are explored before riders are turned away. No classes can be combined? Is there additional help to train these folks? I fear you really have limited opportunity to catch this audience (superstreet) and it would be frustrating as a superstreet rider to see a full superstreet grid and small grids everywhere else and told you can't ride.

People want to see what riding on a track is like, but most people are uncomfortable with prepping a bike, going to a race school getting their license to race. In past years there were several options to get a bike on a track at many different levels.

This year these people were faced with limited options. Chicane and other track day options are no longer available on weekends, when most casual riders/racers have the time. So Super Street is what many are turning to, and so were are getting larger grids.

I think Chicane in last years form, needs to exist somewhere to give those who want to be on a track a place to start with the correct instruction, step one. Super Street needs to be step two, being more race oriented.

I agree Saturdays are too long for everyone out there corner worker racers, teachers etc. There schedule needs to be shortened somehow to be done by 5pm.
    Randall "Snowman" Turner
    MRA No.427 - Honda CBR600rr Fireblade

Senior Member Amateur
    We have a good problem here to solve for next year. Superstreet is starting to show us that we need to grow the program.

Here is a suggestion:
    1. Form a beginner superstreet class that is run exactly the same as the current program.
    2. Form a superstreet class with classroom time, but without the launch drills, without on track instruction with a racer. In order for a superstreet rider to qualify for this next level class they must have completed three superstreet races and the new rider director is the final say on moving up. This will open time for instruction of more riders who are newer and allow the guys who have been running this class for awhile to begin moving on.
    3. We can move Lightweight GP and Formula 40 to the Sunday schedule to accomidate this.
    4. The Saturday schedule could look like this: Morning practice till 11 am, 250 cup, MW SS, Nov U, HW SS, Nov O, O SS, Lunch, End classes for 1 1/2 hours, Break for corner workers, and remainder of day is superstreet drills, instruction and two races.
    5. Then the Formula 40 and LW GP need to be fitted into the Sunday schedule which in theory adds another 1/2 hour to the Sunday schedule.

I am trying to be constructive with this post and hopefully it can spark some other positive ideas too. Jeff

Senior Member Expert
    I do not think that separating the superstreet class is a good idea.
    If the rider is advanced he/she should move to Novice class with the club.
    That is the next level.
    After all the superstreet is introduction class to the racing.
    I think the class should be limited to 2 superstreet runs per rider in 1 season. Then make your choice. Move up to the club or stay trackday rider, but no more Superstreet for you till next year.

With the advanced rider moving up to Nov, he will get also more riding/practice for the money.
    As the Superstreet is only $100, maybe when the rider decides to mov up to Nov it might be too expensive for him at that point, so he can get a break on the licence fee or something, to make it more easy financialy to move up.
    My point is that we are trying to draft them into the club, not loose them so they should move up ASAP

Just thinking
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    Also maybe when you win your 1st superstreet race you might be allready advanced and able to move up to novice with the rider director aproval?
    Just another idea.
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Junior Member Novice
    I agree that capping the number of Superstreet events one can run in a season is a better solution. It would leave more room to effectively accommodate new riders, and give those who have run a ton of Superstreets a reason to bump themselves up to novice classes. Placing a bottleneck at an effective way to get people into the sport is not a very good solution IMO.

Since I'm a guy that just had my first "real" race weekend after two Superstreet races, I want to say this to all the guys that run Superstreet on a regular basis: License up! You get a TON more laps every weekend. The instruction from Jeff and the on-track instructors is great, but I think two or three Superstreets is sufficient for a new racer to become familiar with club rules, track etiquette, etc. There are a ton of race schools out there for those who want to spend more time with instructors.

Racing as a novice is a bit more expensive, sure. I have to say it's a better bang for the buck though. A race weekend is as expensive as you make it, but if you can race your ass off for $250, you're going to get a ton of track time in a weekend.

I don't know if the license application fees deter some of the Superstreet regulars to license up, perhaps offering a break on that after a rider has done several Superstreets would get more of them to cross the bridge. Prepping the bike for racing is another thing, but in all actuality it's not terribly difficult or expensive to slap some race bodywork and safety wire on (that's another discussion for another time).

Just my $.02

Evan

I believe the Super Street program is running just fine as it is. The fact we have such a good turn out almost every race is a treatment to the people who are running it. Limiting the number of riders is a good consequence, but needs to be addressed for next season.

The talks I have had with Super Streeters about moving up to a novice class has more to do with needing a prepared bike, the cost of tires, gear and transportation. The cost for the entry fees and licenses is a small expense to most of them.

I know they are using their street bikes to run, however the view typically is that they wouldn’t want to, or know what it takes to make their street bike a race bike. The hill they see from just taping up and running a street bike to a full on race program is a large one in their eyes. It is a perception that has some validity.

Can someone talk to these multiple time Super Street riders and found out their reasons for not going Novice? They would be the best source of information to solve this issue and maybe we can find a way to help.
    Randall "Snowman" Turner
    MRA No.427 - Honda CBR600rr Fireblade

... it would be frustrating as a superstreet rider to see a full superstreet grid and small grids everywhere else and told you can't ride.
    If superstreet is "consistently" full, then perhaps those with track-prepped bikes, who come to EVERY ROUND anyway, may be more inclined to license up?

That said, SS had never been "full" prior to the last round. Some times we've had as few as 12 riders...

Limiting the number per round only causes people to plan further ahead and commit to the event by signing up online rather than 75% showing up day of...

When we get to the point that we're turning people away "consistently" then I think we need to address this. Until then, I think we're good.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

glenngsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    ... it would be frustrating as a superstreet rider to see a full superstreet grid and small grids everywhere else and told you can't ride.
    If superstreet is "consistently" full, then perhaps those with track-prepped bikes, who come to EVERY ROUND anyway, may be more inclined to license up?

That said, SS had never been "full" prior to the last round. Some times we've had as few as 12 riders...

Limiting the number per round only causes people to plan further ahead and commit to the event by signing up online rather than 75% showing up day of...

When we get to the point that we're turning people away "consistently" then I think we need to address this. Until then, I think we're good.
    Tony, in your opinion....why do you think those riders don't license up?

I don't want to take this thread down a rules/class discussion. Just want to learn some of the dynamics that are leading to these decisions to not license up. Turning riders away is never a good thing, IMO.

I don't think we'll ultimately end up turning people away, but rather cause them to plan a little better and "commit" to attending. This will be a valuable step towards becoming a racer, imo... As I said, we've been nowhere near 26 riders most rounds... so they'll just have to choose which ones they're gonna do much earlier than they've been.

I think there are three major components to not licensing up - but hopefully some more of the SS guys and gals will chime in:

1) cost to convert from "trackday guy/SuperStreet" to racer, (buy bike or convert current one, warmers, trailer, etc...)

2) cost to run a race weekend vs SuperStreet (entry fees, tires, gas, and additional cost to "be competitive" at the race level vs SS level)

3) no compelling reason to do so. anyone with a bike can run at any trackdays they want to around the state (country)... and then come out and show off their skillz at a SuperStreet round where "it counts and people are watching"

I had a long conversation with John Ulrich at the beginning of the season and we were discussing the continual decline of roadracing in the US... His belief is that the #1 reason for the decline of roadracers in the US is track days. Back in the good old days - if you wanted to ride your bike on the track - YOU HAD TO BE A LICENSED RACER. You couldn't just show up with a helmet and leathers and ride. Thursday Night @ Second Creek was an exception, but for the most part, nationally, you had to be a racer to get on the track. Even if it meant racing at the tail-end of the pack, you were still out there. These guys were "enthusiasts" more than competitors... but they joined our clubs and filled our grids. We've lost that crowd almost completely.

Now you can "basically" have the experience of racing around the track with zero committment other than a bike and leathers. Come and go as you please, invite people you know you can beat, or ride alone if you prefer.

SuperStreet is the somewhere in between. You can actually go bar to bar in SS vs. what you're supposed to do at lapping days - and you have an audience and "proof" that you're faster. That may be enough to satisfy the ego and adrenaline for the "competitive enthusiasts" - and the instruction and group setting may be what is most appealing to the rest.

If it gets to the point that the "competitive enthusiasts" aren't able to do a full season of SS because it fills up, perhaps that will be enough incentive for them license up?

Time will tell.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by: