Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SV650 Wanted

Senior Member Amateur

SV650 Wanted

Gents:

Looking for a race-ready SV650. In an ideal world it would be race ready, with lots of good extras and the like, built for a heavy dude. In a really ideal world, the bike would also qualify for Modern Vintage next year.

I'm okay with waiting until AFTER the season to finalize the deal, so this is a great opportunity for you to finish out your season, have your buyer lined up, and dream up what you want to race next year.

Feel free to call me on my cell 720.635.4293, text me on my cell, or PM me here. Cell will be fastest, but not sure this will need to be a fast deal.

Thanks!!

Jason
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Senior Member Expert
    Maybe this might be good starting bike
    do not know how much it will cost to replace that crank

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/2001-suzuki-sv650/

keep checking WERA, they pop up every now and then.
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Senior Member Expert
    If you want to pay shipping
    http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/2003-...ready-to-race/

MV legal next year and FI
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Amateur
    http://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/3156283089.html

Not sure of your budget, but slap some bodywork on it and start drilling some holes in it and you'd have a nice race bike. Give you something to do over the winter.
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW

Senior Member Amateur

Thanks!

Gents:

Thanks for the posts about bikes for sale. I think I should be more clear about what I am trying to do - and maybe what I am trying to do its not possible - open to any advice about that.

But, what I am trying to do is to buy a bike from someone in the MRA. I think there is a distinct advantage to buying a bike that:

1) I can see touch and feel before its bought;
    2) where I can look at the extras;
    3) where someone can vouch for the maintenance reputation of the owner; and
    4) that I can avoid paying an extra $600 to ship.

I also think there might be some extra "love" re: advice, hey I found some other parts, I found this tool that only works on my old SV, etc. that I can't get from someone out of town. I realize that, come January or Feburary, I might be desperate and might need to buy from someone out of town.

Right now, I'm just trying to put cash into an MRA member's pocket. When things get desperate, I'll ship something from out of state.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this - I do sincerely appreciate your help in helping me find a scoot.

Yours,

Jason
    MRA No. 51

Thanks 2016 Sol Performance / Pirelli * GF&R Tax * Damage Control * Suomy * AGV Sport * RYNOPower * Smith Optics * SIDI * AXO * Shorai * Virus * Motorex * Slick * * GoPro * Honey Stinger

Senior Member Expert
    Well, depends if there will be one for sale.

You might even consider Kawi ER6 (650R). I think there is only one so far in MRA. You can make good racebike out of it over the winter

Senior Member Expert
    I understood what you wanted, as to whether anyone is willing to part with one remains to be seen. I know I don't plan on letting mine go . Building one from a street bike can be expensive and unless you find a great deal on one it usually is not the most cost effective solution, and at that point shipping is not a bad idea. If you wait until off season availability will likely increase and cost will drop. You might even find one worth driving for. I have gone to TX for a bike before.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99

Senior Member Amateur

You guys rock.

I'm learning so much right now its a bit overwhelming. Thanks so much for the guidance you guys.

Martin - I didn't realize the Kaw650 was a twin. That's a nice piece of info. That bike looks awesome!

Mr. Bueller - excellent points. I am hoping this post might get some guys with SV's thinking about the future, and possibly "help" them move to the next class. I totally realize this post is a bit, er, premature - but am hoping it might get a conversation started with a couple local potential sellers.

If things don't go well here, I am more than willing to travel or ship if needed, but agree with you that if I travel or ship, the prices need to be "snow on the ground" prices and not "two more races in the season prices." With a little luck, I should be able to find something sweet. Right now I'm limited price wise until I sell Buell 2 anyway.
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Amateur
    Just to clarify, the Ninja 650 is a parallel twin. The SV650 is a V-twin, so the motors naturally have a different characteristic.
    MRA #88

Senior Member Amateur
    half the fun is building your bike. Become intimate with it. Any yahoo can buy a race bike and go crash it. Just my 2 cents.
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW

Senior Member Amateur

Next time

and hopefully I'm ready the next time a bike like this comes around.

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/2003-...ready-to-race/

Sweet and FI and MV! Good call there Mr. Bueller.
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Amateur

Intimacy

Can't do it, I have a fear of intimacy.
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Expert
    Here is another choice
    Already have some aftermarket parts on it. Just get the race bodywork and you might be ready

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=47290

Senior Member Expert
    I owned a street Ninja 650r and IMO the SV is probably the better machine.
    A crap load more aftermarket and spare parts, the engine is a bit more HP and you can't change a 650r to GP shift.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99

Senior Member Expert
    You can chage any bike to gp shift with a little fabrication.... In fact the bike in the photos above is GP shift
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur

I think its the SV

I think the preponderance of SV's on the grid for tuning / upgrade knowledge, plus the ability to possibly get take off parts when guys are upgrading makes the SV more attractive in its own right. I've noticed a lot of SV tire sets, other parts for sale on here.

Martin - you like those Kaws! I cannot fabricate metal at all (unless you count sloppy country ARC welding - which I don't) and would like a GP shift, but I do have a fabricator pal if we have something to copy. But you can't run that Kaw in MV!

Sounds like this guy blows up motors! Funny!

Did you guys happen to see - in that ad for the Kaw - this is a funny explanation for the different motor... "After a track day in early spring I had left the bike outside, tempature dropped and I cracked the block." I've left my share of bikes outside when I got home extra late before but I never ONCE thought to myself - oh shit, I wonder if I cracked the block! Is that even possible? FUNNY!

Thanks for the help guys. Entertaining as always. I have met Martin - but I look forward to meeting some of you other guys, and buying all of you a beer. I will owe you that at least.
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Expert
    MV is only one class where you can run with experts (I assume that is why you mention it). If I remember right Novice can run in LWGP, TwinsU (which runs at the same time as MVO), TwinsO, LW Endurance, and F40. Some of these classes may require approval from New Rider Director. So I wouldn't pass on a bike because it isn't MV legal.
    Ankle Biter Racing #99

Senior Member Amateur

I think this is done

Gents:

Thanks for the help. I think this is done, but so as not to jinx it and final shipment needs to happen, will hold off on pics etc. Will let you know when its final. Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate all of the feedback and input.

J
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Expert
    I am a card carrying Kawi guy but the 650 kaw is a massive pile of steaming monkey dung compared to the SV, for the love of all that is holy say away from the 650 kawi.
    Seriously get a SV if you want a small twin, Jason Smith has a vintage SV with a blown crank that this winter we are going to replace so he can sell it, already have the crank so a few gaskets and bearings and we are good.
    It is a 2mm big bore with FCR flats and he has a good bit of spares and I don't think he ever crashed it, it has good suspension on it so would need to spring it to your weight.

Senior Member Amateur

Thanks

Thanks bartman. Cashiers check has been sent to a shipper. The sv650 should be here next week. I think I did okay - I would paid what I paid without the second motor, but a second motor was a real bonus. I'll share photos once I know the shipper has the bike. I'm only superstitious about buying motorcycles..

Thanks to everyone on here - you guys are so helpful and awesome, it really is great. I feel lucky to have found this group of riders.
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Expert
    Spare motors for SVs is standard race equipment :lol:

Member Amateur
    So, what did you find? What did you learn? I am searching. Hoping to grid up and give you someone to race.

Matt

Senior Member Amateur

What did you Learn?

Hey Matt:

I'm learning tons every day. This might be a phone conversation to answer the question correctly, but this is an initial stab.

If the question is what to look for and how to look for an SV650 race-bike, I would use the National craigslist search tool and put in "SV650 track." I wanted to skip the significant extra cost and time and effort by trying to find someone's well-kept SV650 with good extras - but not too good.

If the question is what I was looking for in a bike and what did I find
    , I found a 2002 SV650 track built bike with an extra motor and some other spares, in really good shape for $2,500 plus shipping of $495. I used the shipper as the middle man to inspect the bike and deliver the cashier's check - this worked well and thanks to 303 Cycle and other guys who recommended Uship - I found a good shipper at a way better price than calling around. The key is that they come to you (e.g. the bike was in Atlanta and the shipper was in Atlanta, so that saves them gas and you money).

I had significant help from one member on here, who looked at every bike I was looking at and gave me feedback. This was incredibly helpful and I feel very lucky to have had this input.

To summarize his advice, look for a clean bike that is not too molested. He felt strongly about it having a stock front end instead of the GSXR swap out, and felt that a clean bike for a little more money was worthwhile if it was well-maintained. I also short-cutted some of the extra cost by getting a bike already set up for the track with SharkSkinz, Race wiring, Ohlins Rear Shock, Clip-on's and rear-sets, extra geering and new chain. The bike looked really well maintained compared to a lot of others I looked at. So now I just need to buy springs for the front and rear ends for my weight and get the Ohlins reconditioned with the new spring. (Hopefully!).

A couple notes about the SV650. Through this process I learned that the SV650 is a stroked and bored 400 originally intended for other markets. As a result, the ability to further bore the bikes is very limited and if a bike is bored out, you probably won't be able to rebuild that cylinder if you need a new top end. As a result, I went with a bike with totally stock motor and a second motor too.

The reason for the second motor is that these bikes are notorious for destroying crankshafts. Once a crank goes, its totally possible to have a total motor failure and lose everything inside. As a result, the second motor as an insurance policy was a real factor in which bike I chose. I was considering the bike anyway, but when he mentioned he had a "built" motor for the same bike I closed the deal for full asking price immediately.

If the question is why the SV650 instead of another bike, take a look at this awesome thread: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=15164.

For me (275 pounds with my gear on) the Production Cup 250 wasn't really an option, and I like the simplicity of V twins (two carbs, two spark plugs, easy access, etc.). All that plus the bike looks easy to work on - pull the gas tank and you have easy access to the carbs. That and a lot of spare parts for these on here together with the extra power of the SV in the low-end torque range (again the weight issue) made this a clear choice for my first race bike.

Would love to chat directly so I will send you a PM with my phone number.

Thanks!

Jason
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Amateur

It's here!

Race bike was delivered last night. There were a couple pleasant surprises.

Thanks to everyone for the support and help! Pics up soon as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Thanks guys!!!!
    MRA No. 51

Senior Member Expert

Re: It's here!

Quote Originally Posted by shRED
    Race bike was delivered last night. There were a couple pleasant surprises.

Thanks to everyone for the support and help! Pics up soon as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Thanks guys!!!!
    Pics!!!!
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast