Thread: Crash damage

Senior Member Amateur

Crash damage

So I'm putting the finishing touches on the repairs needed from my low side at PPIR, and I notice my front wheel only spins about 1.5 revolutions. It was late and the shop was closing so I had to leave it at that. I plan on removing my calipers and seeing if it spins free and then reseting the front axle. I fear bent rotor or damaged master cylinder, since it slid on the right for so long. Anyone else have this issue? Well hopefully repairs go smooth and I see you all at HPR.
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW

President Expert
    Your front end may be twisted a little. Loosen all the pinch bolts on the forks and triple clamps. You can use two long sticks to see it's aligned.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Check that the calipers are square to the rotor face. If the calipesr have locating dowels, and are not square it suggests something with forks or axle may be bent. If no dowels are used just align them by shifting within the bolt hole clearance to correct slight out of squareness. You also need to check the total included latteral runout of the rotors with a dial indicator, but the pads must be pushed away from dragging on the rotor face, or the calipers removed to do this. It is VERY important to check that the compensation port in the master is not restricted by a plunger preload issue, lever stop damage, or other reason after a crash. Good luck. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Amateur
    Git Er Done Wayne!!!!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing
    Your front end may be twisted a little. Loosen all the pinch bolts on the forks and triple clamps. You can use two long sticks to see it's aligned.
    =; Make sure you put the bike up on a front stand that uses a pin in the bottom of the steering stem BEFORE loosening all of the bolts to shake out the twists. :wink: \/

Senior Member Amateur
    Crisis averted! You should of heard her pop and snap. We are go for race day!
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW