Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 points?

Senior Member Amateur

Round 7 points?

So what's the plan for round 7? Single points like normal? Double points? Arm wrestle for bonus points? Challenge Tony to a drink-off for the outright Clubman Championship?
    MRA #88

Senior Member Expert
    It's been advertised as a double point round since before the season started.

R7 is double points.
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Many thanks, Scott! I recall it being billed as something "equally controversial", so I wanted to make sure double points hadn't been tossed in favor of hot dog eating contests or something.
    MRA #88

Senior Member Amateur
    With NovU points as close as they are it will be an important final round.
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Perhaps it should be "Bonus Points" instead of Double...

The idea is to get people to attend, NOT screw someone out of a championship.

If we gave everyone who attends, say, 20 bonus points... that would probably be better.

I will discuss with the Board.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Member Amateur
    I think the bonus point idea is much better. In my opinion doing a double points round could negatively affect a rider who is doing well the whole season and has one thing go wrong (even something as little as having too much oil in their bike, Tony) and loose out on a position. The bonus points would still accomplish the goal of keeping attendance up, while not having a dramatic impact on the championship (only 7 races) as long as they show up. Just my .02.

Senior Member Expert
    I think it should be double points, that is how it has been advertised all year. Why change it now?

Senior Member Expert
    Double points for 7 and a throwaway out of the previous 6 :lol:
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Amateur
    10000000% agree with what kitten said (why is your name kitten????).

You have a mechanical every other race and lose half as many points as you would the last round....doesnt seem right to lose a championship position due to chance like that.

Please strongly consider bonus instead.

I agree with Applehans. It's been advertised as double points all year. People have had ample time to plan for that.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Amateur
    ....plan for what?
    Should I have had a mechanical earlier in the year so that the gods would spare me when it affects me twice as much?

If you mean plan to attend so that you don't miss the opportunity to get MORE points then the bonus accomplishes this.

Remember what the goal of this was in the first place as Tony reiterated.

Senior Member Amateur
    this will be interesting discussion as some racers might prefer bonus points if they are secure in their spot in the championship and those trying to move up a place or two would obviously be pushing for double points.
    #279 Chris Sorensen (Track Marshal)
    Triumph Daytona 675
    Sol Performance - Pirelli
    Imperial Sportbikes
    Puma - Snug Harbor Motorsports
    ScorpionExo
    Woodcraft
    STM Suspension
    Mad-Moto
    Foothills Triumph

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl
    ....plan for what?
    Should I have had a mechanical earlier in the year so that the gods would spare me when it affects me twice as much?
    Yes! That's why I blew the shit outta my tranny earlier in the season instead! :?
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    ....plan for what?
    Yes! That's why I blew the shit outta my tranny earlier in the season instead! :?
    Well, there's your problem. That lubricant doesn't meet the API specification for your SV 650.

FWIW I'm in favor of keeping the round double points (and I have nothing to gain or lose by this) for the simple fact that we've advertised it this way since well before the season started. If there were objections to it, we could have raised them MUCH earlier in this process.

Just my .02

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    You did do with a tranny?... :shock:
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Senior Member Amateur
    double points really won't make much of a difference if you think about it...the biggest point gap is from 1st to 2nd, 36 points vs. 32, a 4 point difference. with double points, this goes to 72 vs. 64, an 8 point difference. so the most double points can do is add 4 points to a person's advantage. for every other place, the difference is 3 points or less total.

i think this will actually make the racing in round 7 better because instead of people just sitting back trying not to crash just to finish and preserve their season points position, an extra point or 2 might make it necessary to actually race instead if you are in a 1-2 point battle for a season ending podium position.

don't change it, it hardly makes a difference in the end and if it does, it will just make the racing that much better for the last round.

Senior Member Amateur
    this large uphill is getting pretty tiring....but i will try again.....

yes the point difference is relatively small.

the issue is if there is a mechcanical/crash.....losing 72 points is significant right?

let's use a real example.

NOV U
    Current gap first to second is 37 points.....assuming we only had PPIR left and it was a normal points paying round, I could DNF and still win championship by 1 point. Because there are 72 points up for grabs, that same DNF would lose the championship (and worst case drop me to 5th!!!).......should one round really have that much of an effect on the ENTIRE SEASON's worth of work?

And Rybo....I have been telling anyone that would listen since before the season started that double points was a bad idea. I just didn't know anyone was listening until Tony cracked the dam a little......

Senior Member Amateur
    If you had asked for racer opinions BEFORE the freaking season started, I would have said make all rounds equal. Heavying up on points for one round is not good IMO. Now, a double-header with twice the amount of races... Awesome.

However, we are at round 6 out of 7 now and things should stay the way they have been advertised all season. Double points.

And one more thing that needs to be concrete and not a wavering decision the day of the races @ PPIR. Are we or are we not racing in the rain there?

Cliff notes version... DO NOT alter scoring or what has been advertised all year. Thanks -
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Senior Member Amateur
    this large uphill is getting pretty tiring....but i will try again.....

yes the point difference is relatively small.

the issue is if there is a mechcanical/crash.....losing 72 points is significant right?

let's use a real example.

NOV U
    Current gap first to second is 37 points.....assuming we only had PPIR left and it was a normal points paying round, I could DNF and still win championship by 1 point. Because there are 72 points up for grabs, that same DNF would lose the championship (and worst case drop me to 5th!!!).......should one round really have that much of an effect on the ENTIRE SEASON's worth of work?

And Rybo....I have been telling anyone that would listen since before the season started that double points was a bad idea. I just didn't know anyone was listening until Tony cracked the dam a little......
    matt, i get what you are saying but i think you could easily flip your argument around for a racer in 2nd overall, down by say 5 points. single points, no matter what, that guy can't get 1st overall. but double points suddenly if he gets 1st, he takes the championship by 3 points, so now there is a lot of incentive for that guy in 2nd to race hard, and the guy in 1st to race hard too. clearly one's point standing will dictate which side of this argument one falls on, just like chris mentioned earlier.

so all you need to do is not dnf in round 7. :-)

Senior Member Amateur
    ^^^^^ yes, and ride around delicately so i don't blow my lead.....that sounds like fun.

You are assuming the guy in first and second in the points have finished 1st and 2nd all year (nobody in the 4 classes I run has won every race). Therefore he has every ability to finish ahead of the guy in first and hope that someone gets between them.....winning the year end position based on EVERY race's outcome. I had a bit of an off track excursion last round in AM U....cost me some positions and some points....but not DOUBLE the points so that I lost several overall positions....just like it shouldn't have.

Last post on this...promise.

What planning has anyone done beause "it has been advertised all year"?

Give me one example of how knowing this has changed how anyone has gone about their season, other than someone targeting the last race INSTEAD of another one in hopes that they can take advantage of this rule to move up in the points (which, again, isn't the reason for the rule in first place).

Yes some people may NEED others to have an issue in the final round to catch them and would be a vote to "keep it as it has been advertised". Hell, I could conceivably get 1st in AM U with a couple of people having some bad luck even though I haven't beaten #1 and #2 all year.....still wouldn't be right.

Senior Member Amateur
    Mike, errr Matt....remember if you line up and start the race you also get double last place points...just sayin I think your trophy is safe...

Don't really agree with it but too late to change, the double points just means I'll slide out of top 10 in every class I run...not running PPIR again.
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Member Amateur
    I believe that double points does have a big impact. If you look at some of the close classes, there are some racers who have had small issues (whether it be mechanical, meatballs, etc.) that had small impacts on their standing, now we are saying if you have those same issues at the last round it could potentially cause you to go from a first or second place to a 4th or 5th place. The idea of the double points round is to impact attendance not impact your standing any differently than any other round of the championship. The bonus point system achieves the goals of the club, while not impacting the results of the championship.

Senior Member Amateur
    while people are throwing out ideas, i petition that we only score the first 4 rounds of this season.
    rounds 5 and later are just practice for next season
    Just saw the doc today and he says i can now start bending my leg, but no weight.....

+1 on bonus points not double points
    Ex500-retired SuperStreet bike
    EX250R...ex500 had too much power.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sponsors
    My wife

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    And one more thing that needs to be concrete and not a wavering decision the day of the races @ PPIR. Are we or are we not racing in the rain there?

Thanks -
    We have always raced there in the rain... Regardless of over zealous comments. So plan on it.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by polar x
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob

Thanks -
    We have always raced there in the rain... Regardless of over zealous comments. So plan on it.
    I'll admit I've missed a few PPIR rounds since I started racing a dozen or so years ago... so I could have missed it, but I've never seen us race there in the rain - we've always said we would and we've always waited out a downpour when it happened by... but I can't recall an actual rain race there.

So I'm curious - have we actually run races in the rain there in recent history? If so - when?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast