Thread: Just got back from Roadrace Factory Camp!

Just got back from Roadrace Factory Camp!

I just got back from the Roadrace Factory camp and if anyone is thinking about doing it, you absolutely should! They have another date coming up in early August so I figured if anyone out there is on the fence about doing the school, here is my informal unsolicited review.

The format was a bit different than Supercamp but it takes you out of your element just as much and it is all pavement instead of mud. There are fewer drills, and it is only one day. However it is still A LOT of track time. Everyone left really wore out after the full day at IMI. It is definitely good for all skill levels too. There were 2 or 3 dirt guys, me, and 3 pro roadracers there today.

RRF is more individualized with more one on one time with the instructors. They set your bike up with one or two GoPros and a lap timer and with the way IMI splits kart and bike time, you also get some time at the end of each session to rest and to watch videos of yourself doing things wrong and right and get some immediate feedback. Danny also has a radar sign that he moves around the track so you can actually see how fast you are exiting corners and see if a different line, drive, etc. makes a difference.

For example, today I worked a lot on brakes and body position . I'm a total puss on the brakes and my body position on the 125 is not so hot. So today they put cameras on my brake hand to force me to squeeze the shit out of the lever and not totally rely on mid corner speed to make the turn. They also put a camera facing my back so I could see how little I was moving on the bike. They set up cones for me on one side of the track for the brake stuff, I used the mid coarse to work on body position, and the front strait to work on drives off the corners/lines/corner speed.

The bikes are Yamaha 250s super motos so nothing too fast or heavy but plenty fast to slide one or both tires .... often and with comfortable ease :lol: Just like in SC, crashing is allowed! In SC you are all but encouraged to crash, in RRF you are going fast enough that you may not want to crash but not too fast that you think you would get hurt. (Actually the only guys who tossed it today were the Gange and Puerta from Danny's team :shock: ) RRF has the same policy on crashing though, you break it, you don't have to pay to fix it, and no damage deposit ! They just dust you off and roll out a fresh new bike for you to toss around. The only thing you have to bring is your riding gear

I can't say I have a favorite between the 2 camps, they both take you out of your element and force you to work on fundamental bike riding in a lower speed than roadracing. I will take both camps again as I can see you would learn different things every time you go

http://www.americansupercamp.com/
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Expert
    Wicked cool.

Photos?
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Amateur
    So it's worth the $600? I was thinking about signing up for aug 6 but was. Of sure about where it would be any good

No I didn't get any photos. I could have kept some of videos but since I know the coase I decided not to. SC IS $500 and two days but there are a lot more people out there. SC is broken up into 2 or 3 groups of 10 people. Each group then takes turns with the coarse.

I definatly think RRF is worth the $600. The more one on one time and crash policy make it worth the fee for me. I haven't taken the Pridmore or Polen school at HPR but I think they are in the same ballpark and you use your own bike. I will have to say the sumos are pretty damn fun, it was worth the price of admission just to get to try one out

If you are thinking about taking either school, just give Danny a call. He is running an AMA team this year so it may take him a bit to get back in touch but he can give you a good run down of the schools. If he doesn't give a ring back, just call him again, he wont mind be called a time or two. He is real nice guy and wont put any pressure on you to sign up
    RS 125
    TZ 250

President Expert
    There are some pics of the school they did at Sonoma on their FB page -
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...2847849&type=3
    MRA #29