View Poll Results: Would you like to race more at Pueblo or PPIR next year?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to race 2 times at Pueblo instead of 2 times at Pikes

23 54.76%
  • I would like to race 2 times at Pikes instead of 2 times at Pubelo

11 26.19%
  • I am indifferent because I dont' race at either of those tracks

1 2.38%
  • Other: Please post reply with what your other is

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing at Pueblo

Senior Member Expert

Racing at Pueblo

Well I was talking with some family and other racers that didn't make it to PMP and we got on the topic of the quality of the new surface and some other opinions of those that did make it. I figured I would start a thread for others to add their .02 and share with others that did or didn't make it.

I always thought PMP layout was decent but never really like it a ton because of only being there 3 times in 2 years. I also hated the surface because of never having my suspension dialed in for it compared to the other tracks. As a new'ish racer these are the reasons it wasn't a 'great' track.

however now having the new surface, and having been there a 4th time, I can honestly say it is becoming one of my favorite places. There are still a few bumps in a place or two but so much of it is smooth and so fun. The more I memorize the layout mapped to my marker points the more I get faster. I hope that we can race there afford-ably more next year and hope others give it a good chance.

The only things left on my wish list are:
    RV powerspots
    Maybe some tall bleachers behind the maint area so you could see turn 2 through 7 better?
    Some more markers on turn 1. Maybe add a 5 and a 4 in front of the 3,2,1.
    and if I am gonna be nit picky, a pavilion area on the grass area that already houses the benches?

In summary, Thank you Pueblo for improving the track as much as you have.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Pueblo has always been one of my favorite tracks, even before it was paved.

Turn 10 is now the least favorite turn of any track I have ever ridden in the United States.

Turn 9 needs to be fixed; the patch on the entrance caught a lot of people off guard.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Turn 10 is now the least favorite turn of any track I have ever ridden in the United States.
    Yes, I agree but didn't want the only comments of this thread to be about this turn. It did need mentioning though. Hopefully we can continue to hear others' thoughts outside of this.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Turn 9 needs to be fixed; the patch on the entrance caught a lot of people off guard.
    Is it sad I didn't notice what you are talking about here even after racing 10 races this weekend on it?
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    I guess it depends on your line into there, but it seemed like the guys who have raced there a long time are the ones who had a problems navigating it. I personally lost the front twice because the worst part of the pothole was exactly where I like to turn in. Most were forced to charge the corner and enter much earlier than normal to avoid tucking the front.

I guess the flip side of that patch is that we found a football?

Other than that, Pueblo is still possibly my favorite layout. It flows great on a little bike.

Senior Member Expert
    I agree with everything said thus far, with the exception of more markers into T1, as I personaly didn't see a need for more of them.

I too, had to adjust my turn in point at T9, to avoid the crumbling pavement/patch.

It would have been nice if the would have done some prep benieth the asphalt to get rid of some of the bumps that were previously there, but having them there still keeps some of the ol' pueblo roots alive!! Pueblo wouldn't be Pueblo if it was perfect....

Now they just need to reopen the Majestic!! 8) (some people will remember)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttleroller277
    I agree with everything said thus far, with the exception of more markers into T1, as I personally didn't see a need for more of them.
    Some of us are still a little scerrred some times going into 1. Doesn't mean I would brake at 4 or 5 but at least then I can start pacing the gaps in my mind of when 3 is coming up.

I know I know... its a dumb mental thing, but still.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Just wait till you see Elvis... then Brake
    Jeff Brown, #277

Senior Member Amateur
    I really expected lots of tire wear. I learned to ride there and enjoy the layout. It seems more like a hp track with lots of point and shoot, but maybe I am doing it wrong. With the new paving I lost all the patches I used for braking, turns and lines, but wow was it smooth. T10 was a non-issue for me and I liked it. T9 was significantly better than it was and now it is simply another turn. Before it was my least favorite of all having went off track more there than all other corners/tracks combined. I like the new curbing on the inside of T9 rather than that big thing they had last year. I had some issues with T8....not sure why. I liked being able to go a little wide in T1 without all the bumps. I had some friends come down both days and they commented that spectating was very good and easy being able to walk from corner to corner and see almost the whole track. PA system is great, you can hear everything even if pitted in the boonies. I think they need shade (lots of it) and a beer garden ala PPIR for spectators and A/C for everyone. The WiFi was great and as fast as at home. I would like more markers in T1 and a cone on the inside of T1 as they do in T3 at HPR. Holy crap it was hot down there! PPIR is still my favorite.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Amateur
    Having never been on the road course at PMP, I had a blast. Didn't notice any issues with T9. T10 seemed fine. I would have liked to see less dirt on T4 and T6a/6b. I liked the flow, even though it felt like a very narrow track. Still not the biggest fan of having to cross track to enter and exit. I would race there 2-3 times a year.
    MRA Novice #215
    2009 ZX6R
    Gebhardt VW

Senior Member Expert
    It was my favorite, and is now definitely my favorite track. I hope we can race there a few times next year.
    T10 is the dumbest planning I have ever seen in race track design or repair. It is now officially much more dangerous than before.....Why the hell is there 50 tons of gaurdrail and a light pole there? Someone needs slapped for that. It would have been easy/inexpensive to improve runoff & decrease speeds in T10. Sorry I can't hold my tongue on this.
    I don't care about the slick drag strip lanes. I think they make it more exciting, and a challenge. They also helped create a couple different lines and strategies, which made for some fantastic racing battles for me.
    They just need some carport or garage space down there, and that place will be epic! T8 had a couple minor bumps that were no big deal. T1 had some minor ripples on entry that were very reasonable. T7 is holding up good so far. T6a&b were very dirty, and I can't figure out why? T9 was not that bad, it just needs a little patch strip. Lenski, the superstreet guy, and 1 other didn't even come close to the bump/rough spot when they crashed or blew T9, so it only aided 1 Mobster get off that I know of.
    Overall a thumbs up!
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Shame on you Brownie... it was "The Mystic" not the majestic... :shock:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks tony for your vaulable contribution to this thread.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Shame on you Brownie... it was "The Mystic" not the majestic... :shock:
    Shit, I think you might be right sir Tony.
    Jeff Brown, #277

Oh, and ditto on what everyone else has said.... It's a damn shame they couldn't have taken the dragstrip out of the roadcourse somehow. Even if it didn't have the armco and walls... we're still a TOTAL LOSS if it rains. Someday, maybe, they'll be able to circumnavigate the current T10. Till then, we do the best we can.

The rest of the track was butter.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Just for my own curiosity, I added a poll to the thread. Please fill it out if you have a moment.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Banking is for CARS
    AMA #395 / AARONHERSH.COM / SCORPION EXO / Madmoto / MOTOREX / WICKED PHOTOS / GEARZY / Vortex / OGIO / Leo Vince / Galfer / Pilot / MotionPro / Chicken Hawk / ODI Grips
    "The faster I go the prettier the girls look" - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    Just for my own curiosity, I added a poll to the thread. Please fill it out if you have a moment.
    YO Ginger... The ONLY reason we raced in Pueblo 1 time this year was because the track was not going to be ready for our first race there in May. We had to move that date to PPIR. Originally we had 2 races scheduled there.

I would much rather race in Pueblo vs PPIR any day!
    Ray-Ray Gaimara #16

2011-2013 Track Marshal RETIRED
    2008-2009 VP of Rules and Tech
    1996-2007 Corner worker/Head Corner worker/Airfence Caption

2017 Sponsors - Fun Centers Cycle, Ogio, Sol Performance, Vickery Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Thx, I remember. I was just curious of others thoughts just because the grids were again once very light and wondered why some didnt make it down for the new pavement.
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

President Expert
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    If we have 7 races next year, I would say 2 @ PMP, 2 @ PPIR, 2 @ HPR and 1 @ Hastings.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo
    If we have 7 races next year, I would say 2 @ PMP, 2 @ PPIR, 2 @ HPR and 1 @ Hastings.....
    As part owners of HPR, we're actually obligated to 5 events there per year. The school / lapping day counts as one, then 4 races.

Just fyi...
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:

Senior Member Expert
    Wow -- I have not seen a positive vote for Hastings in quite some time.

Has anyone ridden there in the last few years?

Senior Member Amateur
    I have not been there since my one time in 08'. I had heard rumors that the track conditions got worse. However through email, George mentioned the track is fine and that other motorcycle clubs have been there several times with no issues.

And....bacardi bus is still operating as normal

Would just be nice to get a variety of tracks since and while they are available. I have never been to Miller, but that would be an awesome one to throw in the mix although I don't think that would be able to fit in the MRA budget.

Senior Member Expert
    If we can get participation back up to support an 8 round series, we could have 4 races at HPR, 2 at PMP and 2 at PPIR. Win-win
    #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethHomes.com
    G-Force Powersports, Pirelli & Sol Performance, CT Racing, Kawasaki, Bell Helmets, TCX Boots, Vortex, Racers Edge, Un!nk Printworks, Motul, Vortex, Rising Sun Cycles, CHR, Attack Performance, NinjaTech

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    If we can get participation back up to support an 8 round series, we could have 4 races at HPR, 2 at PMP and 2 at PPIR. Win-win
    +1, with emphasis in the "if."
    And using the HPR North course a couple times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast