Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F40 at Pueblo

Senior Member Expert

F40 at Pueblo

Which one of you knucklheads chopped the wheel and knocked down Dan Qualtire during F40 this past weekend at Pueblo? (MRA #15, the only TZ250 on the grid and the nicest guy you will ever meet)

Fess up and your punishment will hurt less.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

I hope he is okay. Dan is a super nice guy and helped me get my 250 sorted. I guess that is why he posted up in another forum looking for a radiator
    RS 125
    TZ 250

Senior Member Amateur
    I watched that happen. Didn't see why, but on the last lap he ran off turn 7 and kept going, and going, and going... Right into a ramp (berm actually, but acted like a ramp for him).

It seriously looked like a slower version of X Games Step-Up. He went straight up in the air about five feet, the nose pointed down, and then he came straight down nose-first five feet.

When he landed he lifted his visor and a bunch of dirt fell out and he just lifted both of his arms as if to say, "I guess today wasn't my day".

Glad he is ok -
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    I watched that happen. Didn't see why, but on the last lap he ran off turn 7 and kept going, and going, and going... Right into a ramp (berm actually, but acted like a ramp for him).

It seriously looked like a slower version of X Games Step-Up. He went straight up in the air about five feet, the nose pointed down, and then he came straight down nose-first five feet.

When he landed he lifted his visor and a bunch of dirt fell out and he just lifted both of his arms as if to say, "I guess today wasn't my day".

Glad he is ok -
    Bob H (Spiderman) did that out of the T7 exit into 8 a few years ago too; that berm got moved after it launched Booby into the air 30 feet and he landed near the track entrance. Very glad to hear Dan's encounter with the Pueblo stunt ramps went better for him.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Amateur
    I have a sequence of shots from that incident all the way up to just before he hit the birm. Sorry I didn't come over to help you. But it is a no no for me to come and help.

Jim
    Jim Browning
    RMP Photos

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowning
    I have a sequence of shots from that incident all the way up to just before he hit the birm. Sorry I didn't come over to help you. But it is a no no for me to come and help.

Jim
    So you saw what actually happened?

Dan reports a red motorcycle chopping his front wheel (with red paint on his bike for good measure), but he doesn't honestly know who it was (or why).

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowning

Jim
    So you saw what actually happened?

Dan reports a red motorcycle chopping his front wheel (with red paint on his bike for good measure), but he doesn't honestly know who it was (or why).
    Yes Dave, I have the shot of the tire being chopped off with the other bike in the frame and I might have the shot before that happened. So that might tell you all what exactly happened. Sorry I couldn't tell you off the top of my head right now. But when I get home this afternoon I will be more than happy to post the sequence of shots here in this thread. Will that work?

Jim
    Jim Browning
    RMP Photos

Senior Member Expert
    Wow. You photo guys are amazing!!

Any info you might have would be great. Dan would love to know what actually happened.

Senior Member Amateur
    Wow. You photo guys are amazing!!

Any info you might have would be great. Dan would love to know what actually happened.
    Thanks Dave, I will get those posted up when I get home this afternoon.

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim Browning
    RMP Photos

Senior Member Amateur
    Here you go Dave. These are the pictures I have from the little mishap in turn 7. Hope this explains what happened.

Jim
    Jim Browning
    RMP Photos

Senior Member Expert
    How nice. I have seen that very same thing myself in years past. :roll:

Thanks for the pictures. Dan will greatly appreciate it.

Senior Member Amateur
    No problem at all Dave. Sorry I didn't catch the other bike in the shots.

Jim
    Jim Browning
    RMP Photos

Senior Member Amateur
    Was this on the cool down lap? I remember Pat saying he missed the checkered flag and kept on racing. Maybe he was "head down" and the other rider was not?

I was wondering why you didn't have pics of the jump, but your sequence explains it. That bike was coming right at ya!

Did the TZ have brake issues? He was going quite slow off the track and into the dirt and IMO had enough time to get the bike slowed to a stop prior to the ramp. Or maybe he didn't see the ravine and ramp until the last second and thought he was going to just ride it out?

Gotta get those things stopped in the Pueblo outfield. No telling what you are going to hit (chain link fence, gopher hole, ramp, railroad tie, car on blocks, meth lab, etc). Hell, I landed on a football during my get off in turn 9!
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Senior Member Expert
    Dan does not believe this to be the cool down lap; it may have been the last lap(s) of the race.

Brakes were great; he was hoping to keep it on two wheels and ride it out on the rear brake alone.

Feel free to post up get-well wishes to Dan here or PM me for his email address and email him directly. Besides nursing the bumps and bruises, he takes great pride in his "old" TZ250 and is very disappointed this may be the end of his season.

Looking at the lap times and running order on the results, I'm thinking this was Dan getting lapped on the last lap. I'm sure Pat wouldn't intentionally take out lap traffic. It's a bummer, I hope Dan heals up quick and is able to get the 250 2smoker going again, I was stoked to see him out there on that bike.
    http://wolfbrigade217.blogspot.com/
    2014 VP of Rules & Tech
    MRA#217
    Th'ink Tank Tattoo, The Walnut Room, Rocky Mountain Kawasaki, STM Suspension, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Speedmetal, BloodNickel, MadMoto, Puma, Woodcraft, Armor Bodies, VonZipper, and
    Lacy

Senior Member Expert
    Dan does not believe this to be the cool down lap; it may have been the last lap(s) of the race.
    I think it was on his last lap. He's on the 6/7-lap finishing difference in the scoring, but his times should have put him ahead of Adami who finished one place ahead of him with 7 laps counted (Dan's at 6, but consistently faster). He also dropped 3 seconds in his last counted lap which is a big jump, so was perhaps pushing a little harder and didn't have as much room for shenanigans when they happened to him. I dunno, just a theory.

Hope he heals up!

Edit: Beat by Carl, but yeah Pat's time difference would have put him in lapping territory by then as well.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Junior Member Novice
    Let Dan know that I just PM'd him over on the TZ250 messageboard- I have a radiator from my spares kit that I'd be willing to part with to get him going again.

Brakes were great; he was hoping to keep it on two wheels and ride it out on the rear brake alone.

Feel free to post up get-well wishes to Dan here or PM me for his email address and email him directly. Besides nursing the bumps and bruises, he takes great pride in his "old" TZ250 and is very disappointed this may be the end of his season.

Senior Member Amateur
    I was in T7 and saw the whole thing, it was on his last lap, very unfortunate and had some huge air going up the berm. Looked very graceful yet painful.

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Hey guys and gals...
    I've been watching this and letting it sort out a bit.

I have been in communication now with both Dan and Pat.

Here are my thoughts:

1) From what I have seen in the pix and heard from both parties, the suggestion that "some knucklehead chopped the wheel and knocked down Dan" is an overstatement at best.

2) It would have been neat if Dan had been the one to spearhead this investigation, and even more neat if he had contacted Pat directly and privately instead of this turning into a spectacle in the forums.

3) From the pictures provided, unless there are more which I haven't seen, the wheel wasn't "chopped off". I don't see anywhere that Pat DROVE THRU Dan's front wheel. IMO, that's chopping off.

4) Based on the marks on Dan's bodywork (which he has sent me photos of), which is some red paint/dye/?? on the right upper fairing - and looking at the first photo in the series - if there was contact - it was most likely Pat's left Shoulder. There is no photo to corroborate that they hit, but no reason to believe they didn't.

5) Even after the alleged contact, Dan is still completely in the seat, and still turning - though well off line. His left knee is still out like before, but he is no longer looking thru the turn... he is now looking at the photographer/berm. He is still not "knocked down".

6) Dan stated to me that he chose to stand it up and try to ride it out and save it in a straight line. The berm came up too fast, and he hadn't scrubbed enough speed. That's when he fell down.

Sometimes we come together on the racetrack. Oftentimes we save it, sometimes we don't.

Categorizing this incident as a deliberate or even aggressive manuever I think is unfounded without additional evidence.

And in any event, I will suggest Dan and Pat work this out privately if either of them wish for additional resolution.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Hey guys and gals...

Here are my thoughts:

1) From what I have seen in the pix and heard from both parties, the suggestion that "some knucklehead chopped the wheel and knocked down Dan" is an overstatement at best.

2) It would have been neat if Dan had been the one to spearhead this investigation, and even more neat if he had contacted Pat directly and privately instead of this turning into a spectacle in the forums.

Dan himself expressed frustration and concern to MRA officials in the tower already and was told "it is a racing incident". I did not change context or exaggerate anything.

I did not know it was Sir Ducati that initiated said incident nor did Dan; hence why I asked the question here in hopes of shedding some light on it. My only exaggeration it seems was the term "knucklehead".

So, silly me. Carry on and lets start a trend of seeing if in every race we can find the oldest guy on the grid and make sure to punt him off the track in 7 laps. :roll:

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Hey guys and gals...

Here are my thoughts:

Dan himself expressed frustration and concern to MRA officials in the tower already and was told "it is a racing incident". I did not change context or exaggerate anything.

I did not know it was Sir Ducati that initiated said incident nor did Dan; hence why I asked the question here in hopes of shedding some light on it. My only exaggeration it seems was the term "knucklehead".

So, silly me. Carry on and lets start a trend of seeing if in every race we can find the oldest guy on the grid and make sure to punt him off the track in 7 laps. :roll:
    How could this be characterized as anything other than a racing incident? The two have never met and their apparent only experience with one another was at the apex of T7 - so there could have been no pre-meditation or prior history to make this anything but a racing incident.

I think "knocked down" is also an exaggeration based on the photos.

And finally, if we're gonna start this new trend of knocking the oldest guy down - then let me be the first to declare:

IT'S OPEN SEASON ON BREWER!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

President Expert
    And finally, if we're gonna start this new trend of knocking the oldest guy down - then let me be the first to declare:

I don't think Brewer needs our help with that.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing

I don't think Brewer needs our help with that.
    He has to keep a bike running long enough to be a target...with that motecy thingy.... :wink: :wink: :wink: Extra points if you get Sexy Ben while he is working on it :?: :?:

:P :P :P
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Expert
    I do not approve of the bounty on "old guys"
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller999
    I do not approve of the bounty on "old guys"
    Approve or not, I'm comming for you Dave!
    The game is on!
    I will just have to wait untill you lap me in the race to take you out
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast