Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have we ever considered grouping practice by times?

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl
    We did start a race 4 times last round.....
    hehe +1
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Amateur
    "Your talent is beckoning you for white plates Mr Diehl. Come to the dark side. We have cookies."

.....most likely won't matter for me next year.....250's are calling me.....so i can't really afford to eat any cookies, too much weight.

I'll take his cookies don't think it will matter too much for me.... ops:
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by loujr
    I'll take his cookies don't think it will matter too much for me.... ops:
    LMAO!!!!
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Amateur
    Well we're off-topic, which probably means the original thread will be forgotten and nothing will change.

And not that it needs to... I propose that we leave NOV and EXP practice sessions separate, but just post recommended grouping times for each as referenced earlier.

Obviously each track would have a separate set of times and could simply be covered in rider meeting and posted on pre-grid board. Simple. Safe. Effective.

PS... For the record, I still think we should race @ Miller. Sorry, off-topic, but more productive discussion than cookies.
    David "MOBSTER" Mobley | MRA # 78
    Dunlop Race Tires / BlackBerry
    http://www.mobster78.com

Ok we have more cookies available, as Mr. Mobley isn't a cookie fan either....any takers?? 8)
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Amateur
    Lots of us unfortunate souls get few if any trackdays so morning practice becomes very important. If I have to spend the session dodging bikes it is hard to concentrate on improving and preparing for the race. I understand Endurance has the same issues, but at least by then you have some track time under your belt.

Saturday practice this weekend will be my chance to learn the new Pueblo configuration, setup suspension, and figure out tires in addition to getting my testicles to drop....that's a lot to do without mixing in people running 1:58's in front of me.
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico
    If I have to spend the session dodging bikes it is hard to concentrate on improving and preparing for the race. I understand Endurance has the same issues, but at least by then you have some track time under your belt.

that's a lot to do without mixing in people running 1:58's in front of me.
    Honestly, does it reallly matter? You are either "that guy" or you are dodging "that guy" There will never be a practice where everyone on the track is running the same times. It would be nice, (boring) but I prefer to know that the person I am getting ready to strip the paint off of will do what I expect them to and for the person getting ready to rip my paint off I will do what they expect as well. That the biggest reason to have seperation in my opinion. There are plenty of Ams and Novs that hold a line, and not get spooked. And there are some experts who will make you puker when they dive in from out of no where or unexpectedly. But they are the minority. Keep it the way it is... Though its a nice mental exercise for the future.

PS...this is not directed at you....just using your example. :wink:
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Member Amateur
    :lol: Practice is just that, Practice, right?

Expert Slow gets the creature comforts of ya crazy bastids on 250's who are QUALIFYING :lol: :lol:
    '07 APRILIA RSVR
    '07 HONDA
    KomodoGear
    RhinoMoto
    Galfer

Senior Member Amateur
    So...

What are the recommended practice group time brackets for Pueblo this coming weekend?

EXP-F - x : xx
    EXP-M - x : xx
    EXP-S - x : xx

NOV-F - x : xx
    NOV-M - x : xx
    NOV-S - x : xx

Senior Member Amateur
    U R Dreaming........

Senior Member Expert
    Dmob I like your persistence, so I will help to throw some ideas. There is only enough time for 5 groups in the practice schedule.
    Ex Fast <1:37?
    Ex Med 1:35 - 1:48?
    Ex Slow >1:46?
    I can't remember any of the lap times from last season, and don't know how fast the track will be now, so these are just example times!
    Nov Fast <1:42?
    Nov Slow >1:40
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

With t10 being a little different I don't know how comparable old times would be, I guess we could look at track records and go from there?
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by polar x
    If I have to spend the session dodging bikes it is hard to concentrate on improving and preparing for the race. I understand Endurance has the same issues, but at least by then you have some track time under your belt.

Honestly, does it reallly matter? You are either "that guy" or you are dodging "that guy" There will never be a practice where everyone on the track is running the same times. It would be nice, (boring) but I prefer to know that the person I am getting ready to strip the paint off of will do what I expect them to and for the person getting ready to rip my paint off I will do what they expect as well. That the biggest reason to have seperation in my opinion. There are plenty of Ams and Novs that hold a line, and not get spooked. And there are some experts who will make you puker when they dive in from out of no where or unexpectedly. But they are the minority. Keep it the way it is... Though its a nice mental exercise for the future.

+1!
    Martin J. #73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com

Cell: 303-518-5650
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...gpic3918_6.jpg

Senior Member Amateur
    Other than feeling like you won the practice trophy I don't understand the allure of practicing in a session with other bikes going 15-20 seconds a lap slower than you, sometimes in groups...it's just a recommendation, if you don't make the time you don't get chewed out.

Seems simple but I guess nothing ever is here...
    #91 Triumph 675
    Thanks to: Motowheels, Woodcraft, Cogent Dynamics, Toyota, and Nikkie

Senior Member Expert
    Other than feeling like you won the practice trophy I don't understand the allure of practicing in a session with other bikes going 15-20 seconds a lap slower than you, sometimes in groups...it's just a recommendation, if you don't make the time you don't get chewed out.

Seems simple but I guess nothing ever is here...
    Soooo 8-[ are there any races, expert or otherwise, in which the times from the first place rider is less than 15-20 secs to the last place rider?

And you right, nothing is ever simple in this group. sorta makes it more interesting :wink:
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Amateur

To answer your question yes, it does matter. Sam was out in E-Med the other day at HPR running 57's I believe. There was someone on track with him running 1:20+ lap times on a 600cc bike.

I understand that E-Slow has 250 qualifying mixed in, but PLEASE, run that session if it is where you belong. On the flip-side, run E-Fast if you belong there (i.e. don't run Med just b/c there are fewer people).

For the 892nd time, I don't want to change the NOV / EXP seperation. In fact, we aren't changing anything with my proposal. Simply adding "recommended" practice grouping times. Simple enough, even for the EM-ARE-AYYYY!

Senior Member Amateur
    I'm going to look at the times on Friday and see if I can come up with some time groupings that make sense. If I can and people approve, I'll print up and post prior to practice on Saturday.

Anyone against this?

Senior Member Expert
    Bring your own paper! :lol:

Here's my suggestion for practice groups...

:shock: why ??? go aroud the slow people and follow the fast ... yall need to not worry about traffic ...only ror and ninj cup qualify so whos complaining? only i would crash trying to be on front row ... ( idiot)
    #213, still droppin the hammer, butt holes!!! ( 2016 RIDER REP )

SYNDICATE RACING, SOAPOINT GRAPHICS, BLOODNICKEL LEATHERS, PIRELLI / SOL ,SCORPION HELMETS, MAD-MOTO, SPEARS RACING , AMSOIL, VORTEX, SIDI , ROCKY MOUNTAIN MINIMOTO, THE ALTAR BRIDAL, BLU CRU , COYOTE MOTORSPORTS

Senior Member Expert
    Mobley, while I understand your point, I just don't see it as a problem when I am out there. We see it during racing, big lap time differences between first and last. Why should practice be any different?

Now if you are specifically calling out some of the slower 250's then I agree, move them to expert slow, IF they are that slow. But tony, hammer, lars, me and a few others are not in the way in the infield, only down the long straight which I am sure you and the others can pass.

Practice should be like racing, and in every race I run in, (just like you) there is a 20+ sec difference from first to last place riders.

What you are proposing would be better suited to a track day. So guys can work on corners, or brake markers or whatever. We already have in place a means to move slow guys back to slow practice, just use it. Go ask Brownie to move A,B or C or all three to a different group if they pose a percived risk to you or others.

Again not directed at you, just a different point of view and opinion.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    Sponsored by

Senior Member Amateur
    "Not directed at me"??? The first word was Mobley. Couldn't be more directed at me. :?

Saying "not directed at you" when it clearly is, is the equivalent of starting a sentence with "no offense" and then proceeding to call someone a moron.

Meh... I give up. Apparently people are making fun of me for starting this drama anyway (not directed @ Applehans, Gallant and Rose).

Scratch that, my newest recommendation is to give everyone their own personal 10 minute practice session. We'll begin Friday night and should be done before Sunday races!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    "Not directed at me"??? The first word was Mobley. Couldn't be more directed at me. :?
    So then lets change that to I am not attacking you...Feel better :roll: This was directed at you. 8)

I am done.....should have kept with my current course and stayed out of drama and opinions on this board. Tony gave me good advice years ago, I followed and stayed low.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    Sponsored by

Senior Member Expert
    Tony gave me good advice years ago, I followed and stayed low.
    Type out your long reply and get everything off your chest then let it set for a few minutes without hitting submit and then close your browser and your reply will disappear into the cyber void, it makes me feel better. :lol:
    Ankle Biter Racing #99
    Sol Performance--Scorpion -- Vortex Racing
    MaxFund No-Kill Animal Shelter and Adoption Center

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mob
    Scratch that, my newest recommendation is to give everyone their own personal 10 minute practice session.
    I second this motion as long as I can pick my own 10 minute time slot. (Between my Jerry Springer reruns and my Chinese Massage, my schedule gets a bit tight on race day)
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast