Thread: Ducati or not?

Senior Member Amateur

Ducati or not?

Possibly in the near future I'll be trading in my street bike for something new and have been looking at the Ducati 848 as the replacement. I wan't to get the thoughts and opinions of other that are more knowledgeable than I about Ducati's. I know they tend to cost more to maintain but the new service intervals have made it a bit cheaper. I've seen quite a range of prices on the services done on the bike to maintain the warranty. Doesn't anyone know what they cost locally? Also, is there any place that will allow a test ride?

Thanks!

Senior Member Amateur
    an mra racer has a fully race prepped 848 for sale on the forums. http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=13893
    talk to luke and buy his bike as you'll save a ton of cash and have a race ready bike that needs nothing.

Senior Member Amateur
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. This will be a street bike and not a track bike.

Senior Member Expert
    Sam had an 848 street bike. You might ask her thoughts. Or anyone else from the DEMC
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

President Expert
    Wyeth rode one on the street for awhile, too.
    MRA #29

Senior Member Amateur
    I can also put you in touch with a friend named Diego, but he will have nothing good to say about his experience with the 848.

Senior Member Expert
    In the past, Erico had demo bikes, might want to check there.

Also, Ducati hauls the demo-semi around every year, so I'm not sure if they've made it out to Colorado yet. Check in with Fay Myers.

For service, there's none better than Brian up at Boulder Motorsports. Give him a ring for pricing.

Most newer Ducati's are 2 years or 15k miles on belts and valves. Used to be 7500 miles. So it's definitely kinder on the wallet
    Boulder Motor Sports - RhinoMoto - American Express

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Here are some forums where you can ask questions or surf for some good info ...

http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/
    http://www.ducati.ms/
    http://www.ducati.org/forums/

Senior Member Amateur
    I have had my 848 since new in 09.
    currently it has 17k miles and the only thing that went wrong is a $175 clutch service that happened because the clutch bolt came loose.
    otherwise it has been the most enjoyable bike i have ever owned. The twin motor is torque'y and makes for a very practical street motor i.e. you dont have to rev it up all the time to have fun....
    that being said, this could be my last street sport bike. my wife has a monster and honestly it is much more fun on the street.
    dont tell the motorcycle industry but sport bikes belong on the track
    cheers
    Ex500-retired SuperStreet bike
    EX250R...ex500 had too much power.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sponsors
    My wife

Senior Member Amateur
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll give Brian @ Boulder motorsports a call about services and I'll do some searching on when the demo truck is coming.

Member Amateur
    i've owned a few sporting street ducs, but not an 848. I think the torque makes them about the best canyon bike you could own, but they all sucked around town (ergos, heat from motor and underseat exhaust, etc).
    peter emsley#203

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by peteremsley
    i've owned a few sporting street ducs, but not an 848. I think the torque makes them about the best canyon bike you could own, but they all sucked around town (ergos, heat from motor and underseat exhaust, etc).
    good point about the heat from the undertail exhaust....just get a 1199 that should clear up the heat problem
    Ex500-retired SuperStreet bike
    EX250R...ex500 had too much power.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sponsors
    My wife

Senior Member Expert
    I would have to say the worst steet bike of all time that i have ridden has been a Duck, almost like a midevil torture device and that is after riding a street bike with a superbike tail. I have ridden almost every bike u can think of and the only reason I can come up with to own a Duck is u want to be different and thats ok just be aware thats what u r doing.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    I would have to say the worst steet bike of all time that i have ridden has been a Duck
    So, does that mean you never rode a Kawasaki KH750 Mk IV? I can't think of any Ducati that was as evil as that bike.

Senior Member Expert
    Maybe duc's are a close second to the MKIV... hahaha.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastt Racing
    Maybe duc's are a close second to the MKIV... hahaha.
    Seriously, you have no idea. I rode a 750 triple that had pipes, porting, and K&N pod filters. It was BY FAR the scariest thing I've ever been on.
    For you young 'uns, it was number one here - http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/...f-All-Time.htm

Senior Member Amateur
    A 1972 H2 750 was my first street bike. It was cheap and I did not know any better. I have an idea where it now is and am trying to get it back.

On the Duc note, I recently picked up a 05 SS1000DS. Maybe it's because I am short, but the bike fits me fine and I have really been enjoying it.

Joe
    MRA # 157
    2010 Ducati 1198S
    2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
    2012 Ducati 796 Monster
    2004 Ducati 749S
    SW Scooternews, Sol Performance/Pirelli, Rudy Project, TYGA Performance, Boulder Motorsports, Woodcraft, Nitron Racing Shocks, Shorai

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 'smooth' Brewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman
    I would have to say the worst steet bike of all time that i have ridden has been a Duck
    So, does that mean you never rode a Kawasaki KH750 Mk IV? I can't think of any Ducati that was as evil as that bike.
    The H2 was a evil bitch to be sure hell I had a H1 that grounded the ign thought the key in the rain and it shocked the hell out of me but I was not talking about their inherent nature just how unfrigincomfortable some Ducks are. The 916 was a very pretty bike but the ergos were horrible and yes there have been really bad jap bikes as well the gixxers and early zx7s come to mind. :lol: