Thread: New superstreet rider

Junior Member Novice

New superstreet rider

I'm just getting into racing and completed my first superstreet race this past weekend at PPIR. I'm thinking about getting more serious about racing but I need a ton of stuff. I ride an '03 R6. Three immediate items on my list are:

stands
    tire warmers
    a steering dampener

I'm also looking for sponsors, free stuff, discounted stuff, used but still working stuff, professional advice, suggestions, and opinions.....

Senior Member Expert
    In the advice and suggestions column:

Welcome to the club and the sport. I've done a lot of cool things in my life and none of them have provided the challenge or the reward that motorcycle roadracing does.

1) On riding and racing: Once you get the bike in compliance with the safety regulations, don't worry too much about modifying the motorcycle or getting a faster bike right away. The bike you have is a fully capable machine. Work on honing your talents and a rider and racer before worrying about making your motorcycle faster. Not only is it a bit cheaper, it also provides benefit on every motorcycle you ride, where a superbike motor (or any other bike mod) is only good in the bike you put it in.

2) Work first on being a really really good rider - fast will come. I've seen a lot of riders try to be really fast before they were ready. Most of them end up falling down. Falling down is way more expensive than being slow for a little while.

3) Sponsorship is a really cool thing, but remember that it's not a one way street. Sponsors are investing something in you in order to promote their product / business. It's difficult to get sponsorship as a new rider. You're unproven and don't have a history for a sponsor to work from. Start small, ask them what they need help doing and try to help them meet that need. Build a relationship and then they will know that they can help you more and that they get something in return for their efforts.

4) As a new track rider / racer the biggest benefit you'll get for your dollars is track / seat time. Practice is important at this stage, but so is some quality feedback. Connect with the rider reps and experienced racers in the club and ask them to follow you around for a few laps. Sometimes you'll get conflicting information. Not everything works for everyone, so getting multiple viewpoints never hurts. Then figure out what works for you and do it!

5) Find a rider who has been around a while and build a bit of a relationship with them. Ask them questions, use them as a resource. I've found that racers in the MRA are willing to help just about anyone and want you to be a part of the sport with them.

Congratulations on taking the first step - SuperStreet is a great program and I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience enough that you want to join us to come racing more often!

We don't have superstreet this next round (June 9th and 10th) because that is the weekend of our 4-hour endurance race. That being said, you could get a jump on your novice hours if you wanted to come out and be a corner worker for the weekend. Working in a corner is a great way to learn about racing. You can watch a variety of racers take a variety of lines - watch passing strategies and see races unfold from the best seat in the house. We would love to have your help that weekend.

After that SuperStreet resumes as does your opportunity to complete your MRA license process so that you can join us as a novice racer for the remainder of the season.

See you soon!

Scott
    MRA Expert #69
    Sponsored by: Chicane Instruction
    STM Suspension, Speedin' Motorsports
    Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles
    Boulder Motorsports, Sol Performance Pirelli
    Angry Marmot Motorsports
    Sarah, Aaron and David

One other thing you can consider is becoming a Corner Worker. You can get paid to watch other racers lines, braking, acceleration etc.. Then use the money to pay for track days.
    Randall "Snowman" Turner
    MRA No.427 - Honda CBR600rr Fireblade