View Poll Results: What are your feelings about running a "real" roadrace course?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds awesome, sign me up!

36 64.29%
  • I could take it or leave it

7 12.50%
  • I'd rather not, but would do it just to earn points

8 14.29%
  • Too dangerous, I wouldn't enter no matter what

5 8.93%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on a "real" roadrace course UPDATED 2/19

Senior Member Amateur
    I think racing a real road course would be amazing. I'm in for sure!

Senior Member Expert
    I am reserving my opinion until I hear from Dburns #118... :roll:
    Timmay! Young #46
    Track Marshal 2006, 2007, 2009, & 2010
    Rider Representative 2004 & 2005
    MV GTU Season Champion 2003
    Racing to mediocrity 1997-well, now...

Senior Member Expert
    =D> =D> 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    I am all for it! they race this stuff in Europe all the time and it is amazing to watch. i have always wanted to race a REAL road race like Macoue or Isle of Mann. It would definatly be interesting.

Senior Member Expert
    you'll be on reserve for a while....

Senior Member Amateur
    Loved racing Steamboat but keep in mind races on temp street courses are DANGEROUS, Ilse of Man has had 223 racers die there since 1907 and even the great Joey Dunlop died racing a street course.

I'd love to do it. Sure there will be additional dangers, but everyone's got to deal with them. Ride within the limits and have fun! 8)
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    More people die falling in the shower every year than die in ten years of motorsports (ok, I'll admit I did not research that stat - it was conveniently tucked in my ass...)

Anyway, I loved Steamboat - dangers and all - and would support a new street course.
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    More people die falling in the shower every year than die in ten years of motorsports (ok, I'll admit I did not research that stat - it was conveniently tucked in my ass...)

Anyway, I loved Steamboat - dangers and all - and would support a new street course.
    I also heard that more MRA racers get hurt shoveling snow each winter than racing, wait maybe that was just u... :lol:

Senior Member Amateur
    yeah.......I would rather shovel, the dangers are not worth it. I don't "race within the limits", I puch them. Interesting that the three people who are sort of against this whole idea are top RoR racers............the idea of a superbike out there is frightening. Accidents happen, I fell twice last year, and I had a large safety margin that allowed me to get back on and keep racing. Fall in Wyoming, hit a fence, curb, or hell, even a hole in the un-smooth dirt or a huge tuft of crazy strong super bionic invincible Wyoming grass, and you can kiss your season goodbye. I would rather be able to make it to work on Tuesday after a good safe weekend and have more safety. I have no issue with people doing this race, do what you choose, but PLEASE don't make it part of the series. We are not a street course racing series.

Senior Member Expert
    Well spoken Brad. I concur. Racing on a street course has a certain intrigue, but the enjoyment and the novelty don't outweigh the risks. I think we are all so desperate for a new venue that we will gravitate toward anything at this point.
    Timmay! Young #46
    Track Marshal 2006, 2007, 2009, & 2010
    Rider Representative 2004 & 2005
    MV GTU Season Champion 2003
    Racing to mediocrity 1997-well, now...

Senior Member Amateur
    So I was lucky enough to ride this track on the trip with Connie Kassel and others. The major issue with this track was the back stretch. Well over a mile in length with a banked downhill entrance. It was sick!!! right up to the point where you have to get it shut down for a low speed bottom of 2nd gear corner. We did the math, (cause the radar gun the PO PO was holding didn't read 179 MPH till I popped out of the bubble and made a downshift) that top speed was around 200. We proposed to the city that a carousel be added somewhere in the middle of the backstretch, but they said no. On the issue of safety, compared to Steamboat, this track is safer when it comes to objects in impact areas. Major concerns were the fence lining the climb to the last turn on to the front straight. The only curbing is in Turn 1, which is far enough away from start/ finish to let things get sorted out.

It looks to me like the poll is indicating a majority in favor of going, I agree. If I have the opportunity, I trust the MRA will have the proper safety measures in place, and the best corner workers anywhere to take care of us!!

Double T
    AP Racing, Brown Industries, Kling Enterprises, Foothills BMW, Ferodo, Suomy Helmets, RK Chains, Vortex

Senior Member Amateur
    Sounds like there are other options in the works. don't think we would be riding the course by the convention center. Yeah old school roadracing back again!!
    AP Racing, Brown Industries, Kling Enterprises, Foothills BMW, Ferodo, Suomy Helmets, RK Chains, Vortex

Junior Member Novice
    Count me in!

Member Amateur

fear

shit man I got nothing to live for......sign me up....I'm not scurred of nothin!

Senior Member Expert
    Mike Applehans, Kyle Isker and I drove to Casper over the weekend and met with some people there. We looked at the existing street course and also looked at four other options I had identified from satellite photos. The short version of the story is that there was simply no way to make any of them safe enough.

The good news is that we are trying to negotiate doing something at the local airport. I have put together some initial plans for what would be a VERY fun, fast and safe course. Over the next few weeks I and Will Chambers (MRA member that works in the Casper City Attorneys office) will continue pursuing this deal.

Stay tuned for details and please DO NOT contact anyone in Casper about this, let us handle it.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks for going out and check out option guy

i will race any track as long as you guys say it will be safe for the top 5 RoR guys to go bar to bar at 100% because you know that class if going to be tough this year and I doubt anyone will be willing to ride at 80%

Senior Member Expert
    The track at the airport would be as safe (if not safer) than any of the tracks we run now. I mean, it's an airport - the asphalt is between 60 and 120 feet wide and even if you DO get off of it there isn't anything to hit!

If and when we race in Casper I will have to take whoever wants to go on a tour of what was my #1 choice for an actual street course in town. It looked great on satellite photo, but that was two dimensional and didn't account for the elevation changes. Who knew Casper has hills?? What looked like nice open runoff from several thousand feet was actually a steep drop off (30+ feet in one place!). No one will be able to disagree that the course would have been big time fun as long as you stayed on the asphalt...but as Mick Doohan said in FASTER - the other side of the coin isn't that great.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    thanks again Glen

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    If and when we race in Casper I will have to take whoever wants to go on a tour of what was my #1 choice for an actual street course in town. It looked great on satellite photo, but that was two dimensional and didn't account for the elevation changes. Who knew Casper has hills?? What looked like nice open runoff from several thousand feet was actually a steep drop off (30+ feet in one place!). No one will be able to disagree that the course would have been big time fun as long as you stayed on the asphalt...but as Mick Doohan said in FASTER - the other side of the coin isn't that great.
    :shock:

I would love to see it, nonetheless!
    Bob - #46
    MRA President (2024) - Vice President (2022-2023)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Egan
    Colorado Sportbike Club | 4 Horsemen Racing | R.I.P. 502
    Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end!

Senior Member Expert
    seems like a good way to bring some attention to the MRA
    Benny Tozzi #78
    Tri City Cycle
    Check out Dave@SingleTrackMind for your suspension needs!
    www.fixmybike.com

www.getwellclarkie.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12