View Poll Results: What are your feelings about running a "real" roadrace course?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds awesome, sign me up!

36 64.29%
  • I could take it or leave it

7 12.50%
  • I'd rather not, but would do it just to earn points

8 14.29%
  • Too dangerous, I wouldn't enter no matter what

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a "real" roadrace course UPDATED 2/19

Senior Member Expert

Opinions on a "real" roadrace course UPDATED 2/19

2/19 UPDATE - see my post on page 3 http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...?p=19968#19968

There is a possibility that we would be able to race this season on a street course circuit in Casper, WY. This is similar to what we used to do in Steamboat, for those that are ancient enough to remember the good old days.

So, without me providing any more specifics, tell me your general feelings about this idea.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Senior Member Expert
    Hell YES!. If you ever had a chance to race at Steam Boat it was a blast.

glenngsxr
    that sounds sweet. Jake lives there, we could all bunk at his house!

Senior Member Expert
    that sounds awesome!!! a few safety concerns, but outside that i would be all!!! for it
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Amateur
    I am personaly totally against it. That stuff scares the crap out of me. I had the ability to take the GTO around the road course up in Casper and I think it might be about as safe as Mead or Second Creek, so I guess that's ok, but I was IN A CAR. Too many questiobnable concerns for me. If we get it going, I only request that it has no impact on championship, because I don't think I would race it.

Senior Member Expert
    I raced steamboat in 98, the last year it was run and I was a novice. It did scare the crap out of me but it was fun once you got used to running on the wrong side of the double yellows.
    It was also a huge draw from around the country as it was the last real road course, some big name people came to run steamboat. So many people wanted to run the Boat that you had to have run a previous MRA race to be able to sign up, that's how big it was.
    Just like anywhere else you have to race the track and keep at about 90% in reserve most of the time.
    Bartman

Senior Member Expert
    I'm in!!!!! 8)
    Jeff Brown, #277
    "What can Brown do for you!"
    2011-2022 New Rider Director
    2008-2010 MRA Rider Representative

Senior Member Amateur
    Is the course actually in the town or some side roads on the out skirts?

I raced Steamboat a bunch of times and was the track marshall for one of the events. Some of the worse wrecks I have ever seen were at Steamboat. But I will admit is was a lot of fun. I would have to see the course before I would make a call either way.

Lurch

Senior Member Expert
    nope not me, riding a 200hp bike is hard enough without having to worry about telephone poles, man hole covers, houses, street curbs and stuff like that.

Of course on a itybity 600 it would be cake

Senior Member Expert
    I never had the chance to race steamboat...wish I had, it looked like a blast.

If we could address the safety stuff I am all for it!
    Imperial Sportbikes | Performance Cycle | Galfer | Factory Effex | Motorex | AXO | Racer Gloves USA | | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Driven

Senior Member Expert
    [-o<

Senior Member Amateur
    I am not 100% sure how the track configuration is, but I know that they have ran it several times for vintage car racing etc. It is outside of town a bit and to be honest, its alot like LaJunta or Pueblo as far as run-off. Mostly in the weeds is where a guy would end up if he got in a bind. What makes it more bitchin? You can almost thow a rock to my house from there! woo hoo how often does that happen? :lol: Either way, I am behind Glen and the MRA in their decision if it was to happen.

Senior Member Expert
    oh well, you only live once, sign me up. Sounds like fun to me.
    Christopher
    MRA 9 (915)
    “I’m just mad because you shouldn’t use the term ‘fag’, Kyle. That’s a hate word, and it’s insensitive to butt pirates.”
    Quote Originally Posted by T Baggins
    Chris - you're absolutely right. (Mark your calendar, don't think I'll EVER say that again :lol: )
    Sponsored by
    Short Bus Race Team, Vortex, SixSixOne, Faster, VICKERY YAMAHA, Bridgestone, Ferodo, Cycleworks, Rebellion, VP, Motul, MRA, Unink

Senior Member Amateur
    OK, I ran Steamboat, it was a blast, but if we are going to do it, do it right like this first one... but here's a few vid of real "roadracing"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ing+motorcycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjWK...elated&search=

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+motorcycle+TT

Senior Member Expert
    jake can you post up a google map sat image of t he area? I would ike to see what is around there.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Senior Member Amateur
    http://www.realroadracing.com/calendar.php

15 race weekend season, and none of them on a "real" track, but by the looks of the onboards the track surfaces are better than what we race on now....

Senior Member Expert
    :-k....How many donkey punches does this one take?!?!

Senior Member Expert

Was it the same course?

In like 1999 myself, Terry Teske and Ricky Orlando actually went to Casper,WY with then MRA president Connie Kasil and rode a proposed course that was layed out. It was really fast and at one point ran perpendicular then paralel to I-25. We proposed some changes in order to slow it down and add more interest to the course. Glen is this the same course with the changes?
    I believe they've been running cars up there for years? The Boat was setup at the end of the season and most if not all Championships were already decided. It wasn't a place to hang it out as there were some pretty serious crashes there and some folks got badly injured. If we were to again run a road course the safety of the riders and spectators has to be considered. There was some moumental crowd control at Steamboat and without the help of the local community we could not have pulled it off. I guess with airfence we do have at least one advantage that we didn't have back then. But again bikes are faster and road courses do deserve respect.
    To comment on another thing. Steamboat was actually replaced by Park City Utah which ran for one year. It was equally as fun but even more dangerous (at least I thought) and I hear the IOM's a blast!

Senior Member Expert
    The course the cars have been running is essentially the same as what you rode, Jon.

After looking at it and talking with the board last night the feeling right now is that there just wouldn't be enough interest in this course to hold an event there. However, we are exploring some other options up there, so stay tuned.
    The GECCO

You begin your racing career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Member Novice
    I'm not real excited about it, but it would depend upon the safety of the course. I'm not a fan of stop signs, curbing, or other potential hazards not generally associated with a race track.

Senior Member Expert
    Otis, did you like racing at Stapleton?
    Timmay! Young #46
    Track Marshal 2006, 2007, 2009, & 2010
    Rider Representative 2004 & 2005
    MV GTU Season Champion 2003
    Racing to mediocrity 1997-well, now...

Member Novice
    Oh yea, that track was way fun! I'd go back there for sure. It was a little funky, but it was fast!

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    Oh yea, that track was way fun! I'd go back there for sure. It was a little funky, but it was fast!
    Still go back there and race 100% on a new R1 Superbike with kick ass tires?

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    Hell yea it was the old airport. You could run off the track at speed anywhere and not hit a thing. The only problem was finding the track again after you got turned around.

Member Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
    No doubt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast