This thread rocks, and not just because I laughed my ass off at the first post. I've protested myself out of a race before, but never gone as far as distributing pre-filled forms to other riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie
My broken old ass could line up next to you on the Novice grid as well as per the rule book 8)
Best. Novice. Race. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff healy
What about some type of mentoring program for first year experts? I know the hand holding has to stop somewhere but it may be what it takes for people to graduate and see that it is still possible to win!
It's informal, but I've never seen a seasoned expert refuse to give advice to a new expert, and will often coach as well (some have made a side profession of it). Much in the same light as "adopt a novice" that a lot of us do, it's not a defined mentoring program but the opportunity is there for those who wish to learn.

Along those lines, perhaps those who were protesting and bitching about Dave's presence should view it as "holy crap, I have this fast-as-fuck expert level racer out with me for the next 7-9 laps, I'm gonna learn something from this guy".