Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Protest (me) Form for Download!

Senior Member Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    This was a good thread until the last 5 replies.
    ...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Senior Member Expert
    I had spoken to Rybo offline in some detail about the 600 spec racing idea as well, and now that I understand where his head is (narc'd up, but that's beside the point) and we talked through a couple theories, I think it could work.

If there's money on the line, fast guys will show up on new(er) bikes that qualify for it. This makes sense, even in a class designed to limit the impact of one's fat wallet. I know I certainly would do that if it were legal and I thought I'd be in the contingency-level positions.

That said, it does somewhat of a disservice to people who want to go race an older bike, as they will have a performance disadvantage in multiple areas. So I like the idea that a vintage-legal bike would be allowed to race under SB motor rules or something related to it (still within the 'spec tire type' rules, which will be a great equalizer for corner speeds). This would allow these older disadvantaged machines to run on par with newer bikes and not get walked on the straights. It would also let people that (a) either already have these older bikes or (b) can build one for less money than a newish one would cost (stop laughing) race the class, and have 'spec' mean something. There's also nothing preventing someone from gridding up an old 600 with a stock motor and racing on the cheap.

Unless we limit it to one specific bike or a small subset known to be performance equals, the bike part of it is hard to make true 'spec'. But if we think of spec as a performance definition rather than a manufacturing doctrine, it would make for some damn interesting racing.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    www.facebook.com/MotoLlama
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    Llama Schwag! www.cafepress.com/motollama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    How about we don't add any classes, don't call it "spec" racing, and add one small item to an existing category:

SUPERSPORT (MW/HW/OP) -- Current rules apply but with this addition:

Any motorcycle 5 years or older than current race season is allowed the following modifications:

Unlimited chassis, suspension, intake, and ECU modifications
    OEM wheels only (no mag/carbon/etc)
    Unlimited motor modifications except the following:
    NO OVERBORE ALLOWANCE
    NO FORCED INDUCTION

DOT tires required for everyone

Contingency (manufacturer and other) rules apply as standard. (Meaning a 2006 R6 will not win Yamaha $, but can race the event)

A novice running a superbike (but not new model year superbike) is then eligible for a bunch of Saturday races without changing a thing. People who can't afford to update every other year to a new bike may be able to squeeze a few more years out of the bike through highly-illegal-for-supersport (but-still-done-by-some) modifications and keep the bike on the grid.

Those who are chasing $ on the latest equipment will continue to have the fastest motorcycle with the latest technology. But instead of just 4 bikes on the grid, there may be a few more.
    dave@MotoSix DOT com | MRA #31, WERA #311

Senior Member Expert
    :shock:
    Lifetime novice.... #969

l ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -[]lllllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
    How about we don't add any classes, don't call it "spec" racing, and add one small item to an existing category:

SUPERSPORT (MW/HW/OP) -- Current rules apply but with this addition:

Any motorcycle 5 years or older than current race season is allowed the following modifications:

Unlimited chassis, suspension, intake, and ECU modifications
    OEM wheels only (no mag/carbon/etc)
    Unlimited motor modifications except the following:
    NO OVERBORE ALLOWANCE
    NO FORCED INDUCTION

DOT tires required for everyone

Contingency (manufacturer and other) rules apply as standard. (Meaning a 2006 R6 will not win Yamaha $, but can race the event)

A novice running a superbike (but not new model year superbike) is then eligible for a bunch of Saturday races without changing a thing. People who can't afford to update every other year to a new bike may be able to squeeze a few more years out of the bike through highly-illegal-for-supersport (but-still-done-by-some) modifications and keep the bike on the grid.

Those who are chasing $ on the latest equipment will continue to have the fastest motorcycle with the latest technology. But instead of just 4 bikes on the grid, there may be a few more.
    Not quite the same idea, but this has merit too.
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama
    #321! Supported by Western Ambulance, ProRT, Chicane Trackdays, Single Track Mind, Rebellion, Vanmar, Wicked Photos, and my family.

Senior Member Expert
    I appologize for the comment about the happy little non competitive spirited types of guys that seem to be attracted to the "let's make everyone equal at the end of the day, so that there are no winners" bracket racing philosophy. They should do track days in my opinion. I did not have any intention of hurting the feelings of those of you in the homosexual community. Please accept my sincere appology for my inconsiderate comparison. Post has been edited to more accurately describe the reference.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    2021-2023 MRA BoD Rider Representative - Rulebook
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Senior Member Expert
    Dennis - I am offended by your edited post. Leprechauns are merry little fellows too!

:P
    Kevin #28

'07 Yamaha R6

Senior Member Expert
    Somehow I knew you would respond to the stick your foot in your mouth post Kevin, hahaha. Thanks. I'm trying to get out from under the bus buddy.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Fastt Racing
    I'm trying to get out from under the bus buddy.

It's ok....your still fabulous!!!
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

President Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by KFinn
    Dennis - I am offended by your edited post. Leprechauns are merry little fellows too!

:P

MRA #29

Senior Member Expert
    Thanks Lou, you're still a dick. :lol:

You and your pops coming out to PPIR or what? See you soon dude.
    Dennis Stowers MRA #151
    Absolute Moto-Michelin
    Speedin' Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Fastt Racing
    Thanks Lou, you're still a dick. :lol:

You and your pops coming out to PPIR or what? See you soon dude.
    I try 8)

I'll be at hpr for round 3...not going to make ppir
    Louis J Ortiz Jr.
    L & L Racing #23

Mad-Moto, Scorpion EXO, Galfer USA, Sol Performance, Pirelli, Vortex, Uber Wheels Photography.

Senior Member Amateur
    Pictures tell a lot, not to diss any preious thoughts, but here are some things that might help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdQ9T1MVPlQ

'points' to me are under-rated, b/c the value of them seems to be thought of as gems got from Norse like plundering; and too easily had in many situations.
    Tom Erickson #625
    RACE TECH, LP Racing, GoPro, Acerbis, Silkolene, Luttrell Family, Vortex, Kinesys Sunsreen, Yoshimura

Senior Member Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom
    Pictures tell a lot, not to diss any preious thoughts, but here are some things that might help...

'points' to me are under-rated, b/c the value of them seems to be thought of as gems got from Norse like plundering; and too easily had in many situations.
    The guy that won that race is pretty damn quick. I want to see him race ROR sooner rather than later...

(cool video btw. That is a fun section of the track.)

Senior Member Expert

The guy that won that race is pretty damn quick. I want to see him race ROR sooner rather than later...

(cool video btw. That is a fun section of the track.)
    And just so we are all clear after your 'WTF!?!? WHY IS THERE AN EXPERT IN MY RACE" comment in your video:

If you seriously have not read the rulebook nor understand how I was in that race that you videoed, this entire thread is dedicated to you. I had a form waiting for you in my pits this weekend and am disappointed in your conviction.

Try harder.

Senior Member Amateur
    Yes Dave, I do understand the how and why. I won't protest you b/c you're showing us what is really going on, and not sandbagging. Glad you like the vid.
    Tom Erickson #625
    RACE TECH, LP Racing, GoPro, Acerbis, Silkolene, Luttrell Family, Vortex, Kinesys Sunsreen, Yoshimura

Senior Member Expert
    [quote="dave.gallant"]
    If you seriously have not read the rulebook
    Take a show of hands at the next riders meeting, I'm guessing most people that aren't current/former MRA Board have not actually read it front to back.

Maybe we should give novices a credit on their hours if they can pass a quiz... :twisted:
    MotoLlama Racing
    www.motolla.ma
    Twitter @MotoLlama

Resident T-Bagger Expert T Baggins's Avatar
    Yes Dave, I do understand the how and why. I won't protest you b/c you're showing us what is really going on, and not sandbagging. Glad you like the vid.
    That 469 novice guy was pretty damn fast too! He learned all of that from following me around in 250 Prod I'm sure... lol
    Tony Baker #21

Sponsored by:
    Vickery Motorsports, Short Bus Race Team, 406 Racing Michelin, Vortex, PitBull, Driven, Third Bridge Wines, Imodium A-D

Senior Member Expert
    Then you are my Buddha of Roadracing and I give you praise!!

(But I won't rub your belly for good luck. That would just be plain weird.)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456