Quote Originally Posted by dave.gallant
Instead, tell me why I am full of shit. Tell me why having vendor pressure, championship pressure, and contingency pressure is all a good thing for retaining novice racers and contributes to their continued success and retention in our club.

The one benefit to having a novice championship to some new racers is it may be their only perceived chance for a championship because they are hell bent on racing inline 4s. Personally I chased the Colorado Class championship a few years back like my job was based on it. It was fun to put myself under that much pressure even though this is just a hobby. I don't think I ever even won any tire money, maybe $100 in VP $ but thats about it. Maybe other novices think the same about their season, this may be their chance of racing like it is a job, just for kicks.

I agree that putting yourself in debt and not being able to return to the club is bad for the long term health of the club, but I don't know how you will ever get a bunch of dudes with credit cards in their pockets to not spend too much on racing dyno charts. I think it may just be the nature of the beast, it seems to be that way across the board in all forms of amateur racing. Don't get me wrong, I see your point but I don't know if there is a way around it. Tire vendors make a lot of money on the novice class, and in turn are their to support some of the poorly attended expert classes.

Personally I don't think anyone should start on anything faster than an SV, but then again I spent my novice years on a 125 trying to get past 600s and 1000s and have in turn learned a fair amount about putting corners together, corner speed an on occasion a little race craft

Maybe its like Tee ball and everyone wants to get a trophy Some people are in it for the long haul and others just want to do it as long as they are successful