PDA

View Full Version : GSXR won't start

CaneZach
April 28th, 2012, 08:55 PM
2006 GSXR 600. I thought it was a dead battery, so I swapped it out, but that's not the problem. When I turn the key, the fuel pump primes. It actually turns over slowly a few times, then stops. The power stays on, but it just stops turning over, as if the battery died. Turn the key off, turn it back on, and I can repeat the whole process, but no starting. Shoot me some ideas so I can race next week!!!

TRK
April 29th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Is it a new battery? Does the starter motor get really hot? What part of town are you in?

CaneZach
April 29th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Is it a new battery? Does the starter motor get really hot? What part of town are you in?

I'm down in the Springs. I tried bump starting it with the old battery, but that was a no go. I jump started the bike this morning with the new battery and she fired right up. I let her idle for about 10 minutes, shut it down and tried to start her again, but the she acted like the battery was completely dead.

rforsythe
April 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I've had new batteries be bad out of the box. If it's new, try exchanging it, or borrow one from someone else's bike for 10 minutes to see if that really is the issue.

Fastt Racing
April 29th, 2012, 02:37 PM
If you can find a volt meter, you can diagnose most all problems with that in a pinch, but you may need to check several points. It is best to use aligator clip test leads unless some one can hold the test leads to the battery terminals.

Check these first: Open circuit battery voltage at battery-no load. Battery voltage with small load-instruments and fuel pump prime. Battery voltage with heavy load-while cranking. If battery voltage at battery is >10.8v while cranking, you have excessive voltage drop to strarter, in starter, or starter to ground (or a mechanical issue). If the battery voltage is <9.5v while under small load or cranking, you have a partially charged battery (poor charging system performance or battery poor ability to store a charge) Or you have a short to starter or inside starter motor, which can cause the starter to get hot as TRK mentioned.

It could still be a poor connection between battery and test lead connection point (battery terminal). There is a little grey area in the middle that requires a few more checks, and circuit voltage drop checks, which can be complex. These are average specs, but do require data interpretation of course. Good luck. Hit me up if you need any guidence at fasttracing@aol.com. See you out there soon!

CaneZach
April 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks, Dennis. I had my battery fully charged and tried to start it again, but still no luck. I picked up a multimeter and without a load on the battery, it was registering just over 13v (like 13.85 or so). When I turn the power on and the fuel pump primes, it drops down to 12.7v. When I try to start the bike, the voltage drops down to 6.6v.

TRK
April 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM
You need a new battery.

CaneZach
April 30th, 2012, 07:05 AM
You need a new battery.

Sounds like it. I'm just surprised since the first thing I did was buy a new battery. Oh well, at least it's not a bigger issue.

Clarkie
April 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM
A lot of bike shops dont charge batteries properly before they sell them as that would take some forethought on their part, others come from the maufacturer or supplier bad. Take it back where you bought it and ask them to load check it.

CaneZach
April 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM
A lot of bike shops dont charge batteries properly before they sell them as that would take some forethought on their part, others come from the maufacturer or supplier bad. Take it back where you bought it and ask them to load check it.

Unfortunately, I ordered my new battery online (Alien Motion lithium). They're having me send back the battery and I had to buy a new one so I could have it in time.

Clarkie
April 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Sucks it is bad, but good to hear they are looking after you. Everyone is jumping on the lightweight battery band wagon, but be aware a lot of them fail if not charged or stored properly and that comes from personal experience.

JimWilson29
April 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I bought a lightweight lithium battery a few weeks ago and it was bad right from the start. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from took it back I now have a different brand. I have a fully charged oem battery as a backup, too.

CaneZach
April 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I went with the lithium from Alien Motion because the reviews on their batteries were solid. From what I gathered, ALien Motion was started by racers, and their product is very reasonably priced. Assuming I just received a bad battery, which is certainly possible, I'll continue to use them. If this next battery turns out to be faulty as well, then I'm just going back to an OEM-type.