PDA

View Full Version : Slipper slipping?

spideyrdr
April 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

I had a great day out at the track yesterday but noticed my clutch might be slipping. On the last session it looked like I was revving to the moon - but the weird thing was I didn't 'hear' the engine going that fast nor did I hear the rev limiter but it sure looked like I was getting up near 16K+ RPM on the tach. I may have imagined it, but for the last couple of laps it seemed like my clutch might be slipping...

My R6 has an STM slipper clutch. I am wondering if the clutch was slipping, is there anything I could adjust or are my fibers probably shot? It's 'easy' to pull them and check, I am sure, but just wanted to see if anyone had any guidance as to what I might want to do. Pull the clutch and check the fibers and go from there? Order new ones assuming they are probably toast (I've never replaced them and don't know how old they are)? I would need stock fibers, correct?

Last complication: I was using a new oil for the first time. Rotella T6. I have heard good feedback on the oil, but could that maybe have played a role?

I appreciate any thoughts and feedback!

Cheers,
Jamie

sheispoison
April 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Order new friction plates and put them in. Best to start with a new clutch than to have one go out mid weekend and ruin your races.

Throttleroller277
April 24th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Measure the thickness of the stack when you pull it out. Regardless of having a new set on hand or not.

spideyrdr
April 24th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably pull out the clutch and check everything. Like I said, I've got no idea what's in there so a little inspection can't hurt.

spideyrdr
April 25th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Anyone know how to get the clutch nut off a STM on an '03 R6? It's not the stock nut and almost looks like it would need a giant hex to get off since I can't imagine you can get a socket over it. It's about 41mm across on the inside, measured flat-to-flat. Sorta hard to check the clutch plates if I can't get to 'em!

Edit: Corrected to 41mm across the flats

dave.gallant
April 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Different engine, similar steps:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?102653-STM-Sliiper-Clutch-Removal-Install-RFS-Engine-Walkthrough-(Pic-heavy)

polar x
April 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Call Bart, its a special tool....if its like the one I had in my R1.

dave.gallant
April 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Call Bart a special tool...

I call Bart a Special Tool all of the time.

spideyrdr
April 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
So it is looking like this is a special tool situation. A call down to Faster and they indicated they would be willing to do the clutch for me, but the chances of borrowing said tool from them and doing it myself seem slim.

Does anyone have the special tool I would need for this? Not that I am opposed to having Faster working on my bike, but it's a bit of a challenge for me to get up there to drop off / pick up the bike before next weekend.

Cheers,
Jamie