PDA

View Full Version : New Options for MyLaps Transponders

Scored51
April 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Hey All,

I just received an email from MyLaps to say they have started a new subscription program for the rechargeable bike and car transponders. I called and spoke with a rep to ask a couple of basic questions as to how the program will work in regards to our way of doing things. It appears as though it can and will function as any racer owned or rented transponder from the MRA.

The pricing options are as follows:
- 1 year $90
- 2 years $155
- 5 years $310

Here is the link to the webpage at MyLaps. http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/B2C/bike/shop/flex_subscriptions

Technically, the way it works is once you've paid for and received the unit, it gets connected to a USB port on your computer. Then an activation code is used to enable use of the transponder. This process is repeated at the end of each billed subscription once renewed (i.e. annually for 1 year subscriptions; every other year for 2 year subscriptions; etc).

This may be an option for some looking to run an entire season without the cost of weekend rentals, but not wishing to lay out the cash to own a new transponder with the intention of selling later. A word of caution would be to remember when renting in such a fashion you do not build any equity and have only a lump of plastic once you are finished. I did not inquire as to what happens to physical transponder after the subscription expires and there is no intention of renewing. This may be something to be aware of in the future when a used transponder with a USB port is listed in the classifieds of a forum or through eBay.

Thanks for reading.

random hero
April 12th, 2012, 04:28 PM
really cool info!

Not trying to be a dick, or stir up trouble... But do you have the lap times from last 2 rounds of 2011... They never appeared on the mra web page. I really appreciate all you do for the club, thanks!

powers
June 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Wow, I am glad I found this before just outright buying one for $450. I missed out on a few $250 deals because I don't watch the forums all the time. I guess I should have bought the hard wired one that was offered with my bike... damn!