PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Orlando banged up after Motocross Crash

T Baggins
April 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Gang,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ricky Orlando had a pretty serious motocross accident a little more than a week ago. Today was the first I'd been able to confirm it, so didn't want to post anything up till I had the facts. I spoke with him directly today, and he was happy to let me share this info with you...

He had a pretty significant get-off at Berthoud and was in ICU for about a week... he's home now and spending most of his time sleeping and resting as most of his injuries will simply take time to heal. He has some broken bones, including a wrist that required surgery, injuries to his ribs and back, as well as some internal injuries.

The good news - he will make a full recovery, and given all he's been thru he was in much better spirits than I would have guessed. The Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School continues to operate as he has many other instructors, but the Ricky led "race classes" will have to wait for a bit...

The bad news - he definitely is going to be off a bike for a while, which includes the first half of the MRA season most likely... Additionally, as a self-employed racer and instructor his health insurance is good, but not "great" and so there will be some pretty significant out-of-pocket expenses coming up here for RO.

I asked Ricky what we could do for him, and typical Ricky, he said "I think I got it pretty well sorted out for now..." but when pressed, he did concede that any well wishes or support (including financial) would be welcome.

That said, at least for the time being, he would prefer NOT to take a bunch of phone calls or visitors right now - because sleeping is probably the most valuable treatment in his recovery at present.

He is on-line frequently and is checking e-mail, etc... so if you want to send a note, or card, or a couple bucks (or all of the above) his way you can do it as follows:

Ricky Orlando
3465 Cottonwood Circle
Frederick, CO 80504

or

you can e-mail him at

rickyorlando@hotmail.com

He plans to be up and at-em as soon as possible, but understands that the recovery will be a slow process. His final words to me on the phone today -

"You haven't seen the last of me yet..."

Atta Boy Ricky!

kitten
April 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I am glad that a full recovery is in the works. Take care of yourself and looking forward to seeing you at the track in the near future!!

KFinn
April 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Sorry to hear Ricky! Good luck with the speedy healing and hope to see you out at the track or meetings soon even if you aren't on a bike.

Munch
April 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Now I'm convinced roadracing is safer! First Turpin, now Ricky... that dirt will wreck ya!

Get well soon Ricky!!

Ray-Ray
April 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Dude!!! Sorry to hear about your accident. Get well soon. Let us know if you need anything.

jbrowning
April 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Dang, sorry about the accident Ricky. Hope you heal up 100% and soon.

Jim

Fastt Racing
April 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the injuries, but glad you will be back to yourself soon. I'm praying for a quick recovery for you Ricky!

AdamandNoahsdad
April 11th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Get well soon! The kids were looking forward to meeting you and getting some posters at the races.

kfm61
April 11th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Get well soon Ricky - Dang, there are less painful ways to get attention!

chrobis
April 11th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Ricky -

Heal up young man.

You may be my junior (age only - never skill ;-)), but come on, dirt bikes are for kids!

AdamandNoahsdad
April 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Has anyone heard any updates on Mr Orlando? Is he doing better?

1ofTheBoys
April 24th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ricky posted on Facebook yesterday and following is what he said:

Just wanted to get everybody in the loop. A few weeks ago I went out to Berthoud, the local motocross track to do some laps. Halfway through the day I had a hard crash. I do not remember much because I got knocked out. the end result was a broken wrist, broken bones in the back, pelvic region, and two ribs. Along with some internal damage to the kidney and lung. After six days in icu, I am home now in recovery mode. Lots of time on the couch. Crashing Sucks!