PDA

View Full Version : Modern Vintage - Expert only?

spideyrdr
April 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I feel like this is a dumb question, but upon consulting the rule book, I am confused. It says:

Expert classes are designated as Supersport, Superbike, Grand Prix, and Modern Vintage GTO and GTU.

Does this mean Modern Vintage classes are expert only?

Jamie

DOUBLE A
April 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
NOPE! Novices can Race VINTAGE

T Baggins
April 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
We're more lenient on MV as the competition is generally more "polite" though no less fierce.

spideyrdr
April 4th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, but can someone clarify if novices are allowed to race Modern Vintage and the rulebook phrasing is misleading, it's tolerate but technically not allowed, or 'other'? My 2003 R6 will be eligible next year and I am trying to figure out if I would be eligible if I don't get expert status this year. :)

T Baggins
April 5th, 2012, 08:11 AM
You may race MV as a Novice, it is an "exception" granted by the New Rider Director.

spideyrdr
April 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Ah, ok, thanks Tony!

davy4575
May 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM
And you should be racing mv.next season. I think Randalls bike is good for next year too

Snowman
May 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Are you sure my age doesn't qualify on it's own account?

spideyrdr
May 21st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Are you sure my age doesn't qualify on it's own account?

The bike has to be "vintage" not the old-as-the-hills rider.

davy4575
May 24th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Thats what the formula "get the hell off my lawn", sponsored by depends, geritol and scooter mobility chairs is for. Its not really that Randall and I do battle there, we just forget which turn were in and where the line is at the same time.

rybo
May 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Modern Vintage = Bike age

Formula 40 = people age (Modern vintage for people!)

Good news for you all - both my bike and I will be 'modern vintage' legal for the whole season in 2014. Watch out!

as an interesting aside - this is the first year that I'm not racing modern vintage since I started racing with the club, since I got me a newer bike. I really miss racing in that class and hope that I can make my triumphant return in 2014. Racing on that grid as a novice was great for me because my bike (FZR400) wasn't really competitive on the novice grids against the 600s, especially in the years we raced almost exclusively at Pueblo. Then VP Tony Baker and I had some epic battles in those years and I learned a lot about racing, race craft and being a good rider by racing with the experts in MV.

s

T Baggins
May 24th, 2012, 09:00 AM
And there are like a billion different options as far as what you want to ride. I've run it, and been competitive on the following at various points in my racing career:

FZ600
RS125
RZ500 (it was 20 years old at the time)
TZ250

Currently the older SV's, R6's, and Duc's are doing great - but Hammer is killing it on his RS125...

So really whatever bike suits you is fine, so long as it's 10 yrs old or more.

To me, that's the cool part of the class. Run what you brung, and still do well!

polar x
May 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Good news for you all - both my bike and I will be 'modern vintage' legal for the whole season in 2014. Watch out!

Mental note, stay on the inside of Rybo... :wink: :wink:

rybo
May 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM

Mental note, stay on the inside of Rybo... :wink: :wink:

Ahhh - feelin' the love!