PDA

View Full Version : Knocking Sound?

Smitty
April 4th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I decided to replace my chain and sprockets, so last night I took them off and put the new ones on(DID chain, Vortex sprockets). When I was done I spun the rear tire and there is a knocking sound coming from somewhere. It seems to be a bit sporadic. I tried continually spinning the tire to see if it was one particular spot on the chain that it does it in, but it doesn't seem to be that way. Any ideas on what might be making this sounds?

rybo
April 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM
1) Check to make sure that you've reassembled correctly - make sure all of the spacers and such are in the right location

2) Go through the chain link by link and look for tight spots - another way to check this is to see if in the rotation of the wheel the chain slack changes dramatically - tight in one spot, loose in another.

3) Make sure that you have all of the cush drive rubbers in in the correct orientation.

That's where I would start

T Baggins
April 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
It was probably your neighbor banging on your front door - pissed that you were running your bike that late... :lol:

sheispoison
April 4th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I agree with what Scott said. Make sure all the spacers are there, make sure the chain has the right tension and check for tight links, start with your attachment link first.

Smitty
April 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find when I get home.

DOUBLE A
April 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
If its your neighbor you should let him in, he may have BEER!

Smitty
April 5th, 2012, 07:15 AM
So the knocking sound was a blessing I guess. Come to find out the rear rim I was using was missing the spacer and the collar. I don't know what happened to them but its a good thing I had a backup rim with the correct parts in it. Thanks for the help guys!

Young Luke
April 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I don't know what it is with those things. I think they develop an attachment to the previous owner's garage and sneak out and hide before a new owner takes possession. :)