PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions

Smitty
March 26th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I need to replace the chain and sprocket on my 07 R6 and was wondering what a good size is for the front and rear sprockets? By that I mean which sizes will be appropriate for the different tracks here. Will the standard -1,+2 work or is there a better setup? I'm also thinking about going with the Pitbull sprockets, anyone have any issues with these?

Also, I was wondering what are the requirements on safety wiring the bike. I looked through the rule book and didn't find anything, but I could have missed it. There was some discussion about it in another thread but nothing posted up. Can this be made into a sticky?

Thanks!

rybo
March 26th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Smitty:

Look at section 5.2.2-C and Section 14 for safety wiring information

I don't know anything about R6 gearing, but there are a bunch of those bikes running around, so someone should be able to help.

I've seen the Pitbull sprockets and they look pretty nice - I don't think you'll have any problem with them. I have not used them.

Scott

Smitty
March 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Scott, I figured I just skipped right by it. My bike is already wired but I think every nut and bolt on there is and didn't know if that was required or not. Just want to make sure everything on the bike is ready for inspection come first race. Thanks for the info!

rybo
March 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Smitty,

The bike you got came from another club with different wiring requirements. I've been through that bike to work on it some and can say that the original owner was a bit ambition in his safety wiring - it is wired well beyond requirement.

S

Young Luke
March 26th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I came into round 6 last year as a novice with a new to me R6. I started off running -1, +2 (which ends up being 15/47 - stock is 16/45) for the rest of the season because that's what all the Innurnet street experts said was best.

It was good for a while, but the faster I got, the more I was shifting and the more I wished I had taller gears in many places at HPR and PPIR. I know that there were places that I was holding back the throttle to avoid having to shift which definitely made those sections slower.

I can see how a larger ratio like -1, +2 can help someone who is slower through turns compensate by giving you extra torque on the exit and higher RPM at a slower wheel speed. I can also understand why street riders like it because it lets you pull away from stop lights faster and get to the next one quicker than the guy beside you :)

On the track, you end up having to shift a lot more, and it can happen at inopportune times. Once you get faster I think it can be something you struggle with.

Some folks wiser than me have suggested bringing the ratio back down, and carrying more speed through the turns to keep the RPM's up for exit instead of relying on (and later being limited by) the bigger ratio's higher RPM's at a lower speed. Same folks have suggested that a lower ratio is even likely to lead you to be faster through turns to achieve a better exit RPM.

I've got a wide assortment of sprockets now and am going to be finding a lower ratio that works better for me and will probably end up continuing to adjust and keep learning as I get faster. Stock is 16/45 which is a 2.8125 - 15/47 is 3.1333 (around 11% over stock). I'll be working my way back down from there.

Maybe you can take something away from this.

Luke

Young Luke
March 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I think I just realized who Smitty is :) Are you going to be on the grid this year? What bike did you get?

Smitty
March 27th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks for your input! I will be racing this year on a 2007 R6. I've noticed the same thing in a few places at HPR and PPIR, where I was needing to shift. Which is why I was wondering about the different sizes on the sprockets. I'll probably stick with the -1,+2 for the start of the season and then start trying other setups to see what I like.