PDA

View Full Version : Tracks...

Munch
March 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
What other tracks are withing a days driving distance of Colorado, that are actually worth hitting?

Trying to plan some summer road trips, and wanted to include some out of state tracks.

Deifinitely hitting Miller.

What else is worth the drive?

Clarkie
March 16th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Chuckwalla is only a 15 hour drive (16 if you go through ABQ and less hills so may be better cost of gas-wise) from Denver, get a couple of drivers and it is an easy drive. The track is well worth the drive 8)

oldtimer
March 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I've heard Hallet is fun but haven't been there myself. That's in OK, around 10 hours east.

KevEd614
March 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I am about 4 hours north of Hallet and planning on being down there in the next month or so. I'll report back and give my opinion, whatever that's worth.

Otherwise, if someone is heading out that way let me know, maybe I can work some time off to meet ya down there.

Munch
March 16th, 2012, 04:33 PM
That would be awesome. Keep me posted!

jeff healy
March 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Could come up to MT and check out the "Nature Trail" :) Pretty fun baby track plus its free :) Rob will vouch its a good time! 14hrs ish

marty
March 16th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hastings is a blast. It was pretty bumpy last time the MRA was there but I heard they have fixed some of those spots. Its only 4-5 hours away and 2500ft lower in elevation. Iowa and Topeka, Kansas have tracks too but I can't for the life of me remember the names
http://www.racemph.com/cms/

random hero
March 16th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Just warning you, Hallet is in pretty poor condition. I've ridden at Hallet probably 30 times, from about 04-09, I ran the CMRA race there in 2009 and the track was in really bad shape. Friday track day a 14" hole appeared in T1, the fastest turn on the course w/little run off.

I was told by some CMRA buddies it's getting repaved this year, but that's honestly been the same story for past 3 years, and it hasn't happened. When it's very hot, the track is very slick, a LOT of sealer type patches in the racing line in the corners.

Not bashing the place, but imo I wouldn't make the drive, it's a smaller track, moderate-very unsafe in some areas (I broke my collar bone & shoulder blade there in 2009, it was that or hit tree's @ 60mph+). I think CMRA runs a couple other tracks that would be worth hitting over Hallet.

Texas World Speedway is fun, we've had our MRA guys race there past couple years... It's an older super-speedway, it's like PPIR 10x the size. It's a very big, fast track. It's a good ways away (college station texas). Check out Eagles Canyon, it's a newer track, but again I've been told it's already in pretty bad shape.

I'd say chuckwala is the place to go, but that's coming from a guy who's been to the ok/tx tracks and never been to Chuckwala

rybo
March 16th, 2012, 09:04 PM
certainly a solid day of driving to get there - but if you've never ridden Road America you should.

s

Munch
March 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Just heard the same about Hallett. :cry:

Buddy is doing Road America and Barber, so I might have to do those along with Miller :)

random hero
March 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Just heard the same about Hallett. :cry:

Buddy is doing Road America and Barber, so I might have to do those along with Miller :)

Both of those tracks are def on the bucket list...you have room for one more :)

KevEd614
March 17th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Sorry, I forgot about Heartland Park in Topeka. They had AMA there a few years ago so I would assume they have a quality facility. I'll be checking them out before Hallet. If anyone wants to come out and join that would be fun, otherwise I'll let you know what I think, unless someone else has been there before...

GSXRScott
March 18th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Just warning you, Hallet is in pretty poor condition.

Yeah. I did a trackday there in 09'. It was in bad condition then and I'm pretty sure it hasnt improved much. To bad too. Really really fun layout with lots of elevation changes.

+1 for Motorsports Park Hastings. Love that track.

You might also try Mid America Motorplex just outside of Omaha. Fun track. Ultra high speed straight then jamb on the brakes for turn 1.

vort3xr6
March 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Arroyo Seca in Deming, NM is not a bad trip. Real fun track and quite technical. Plus the track owner Roger is a top notch dude.

zts gixx
March 19th, 2012, 07:12 PM
HPT, Heartland Park Topeka in Topeka KS is a great track. CCS is having races there march 31st/april 1st weekend. Practice on friday march 30th. You can get a weekend license with them. I come race with you all when I can, so come on down to kansas and race with us :). 8 hrs from Denver, right off I70. Hallett is rough, but its a blast. Elevation, technical. Pretty short, but alot of fun. It can be ran both clock, and counter clockwise for trackdays so it can be a different track each day on those weekends. I think they only race counter though.

zts gixx
March 28th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Start getting your stuff together and head to Topeka for a weekend of racing. Practice friday, practice sessions and races sat and sun.

DUCDOC
April 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Mid America in Iowa. Hastings in Nebraska.
Track Addix Track Days.
My new shop Ducati Omaha runs these events at the 2 mentioned tracks.
30 dates set for 2012!