PDA

View Full Version : Motor Work?

SRAD
March 8th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I have a buddy in co springs with a zx6 motor thats leaking oil and coolant.
He's wanting to get everything pulled apart and looked at.
Maybe new rings and pistons if need be.
Are there any shops you guys would recomend?
He doesn't know who to really trust.
There are a few guys in his area that clame to rebuild motors, but they've all blown up.
(shot rods though the block or leak worse)
It'd be nice if its in the springs but he's willing to travel a little.
Thanks

KFinn
March 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
A lot of racers take their stuff to Bart at faster motorsports in Denver. I think that Ben Fox or 'Sexy Ben' does engine work as well but don't know his location. I would talk to each of them and get a feel for what you are looking for vs what they offer and how they operate and then you can choose what you feel comfortable with or keep shopping around. There are many shops that support the MRA so you might check out the Supporting Vender section.

DOUBLE A
March 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Its a lot of $jing$ to do a complete rebuild, then when its all apart you figure ah maybe I should spend a few more bucks to get some better
HP numbers then all the sudden it becomes a huge $bill$, used street motors go for around $800 - up. I have a built 07 08 ZX6R motor already been through that little game, $1,200 and its yours. Plus spare parts....

NossLou
March 10th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I have a buddy in co springs with a zx6 motor thats leaking oil and coolant.
He's wanting to get everything pulled apart and looked at.
Maybe new rings and pistons if need be.
Are there any shops you guys would recomend?
He doesn't know who to really trust.
There are a few guys in his area that clame to rebuild motors, but they've all blown up.
(shot rods though the block or leak worse)
It'd be nice if its in the springs but he's willing to travel a little.
Thanks

If you want a top notch builder take it to Moto Garage in Foco and talk to Scott Jensen. He builds motors at all levels and is an extremely knowledgable and honest guy. You can't go wrong with his quality of work and your friend will have a motor that will outlast the bike itself. Not only does he do top notch work but usually picks up on many overseen issues that other shops do not catch on assembly and disassembly. Your friend should expect to pay anywhere from 1k to 2.5k depending what he wants. But once you get a fresh built motor or even have it SS'd it will outlast the stocker by a long shot IMHO. There are guys who can do it cheap, then again don't expect it to last a long time.

Buying used race motors does save a ton of money however these are race motors, not babies street motors and you never know what you are buying besides the word that the seller gives you when selling it.

SRAD
March 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
thanks guys.
i'll pass on the info.
he knows he's looking at putting in some money.
but he has alot into the bike besides just the motor.
so he would like it to last long.
if anyone else knows more let me know.