PDA

View Full Version : Pad and rotor insanity

spideyrdr
February 24th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I ended up 'accidentally' getting myself some new, fancy shmancy Galfer front wave rotors for my '03 R6. It was a good enough deal I figured what the hell.

Anyone have any thoughts on which pads I should go with? I was happy with the EBC HH pads on the stock rotors last year, but since I am changing rotors anyway, I figured I would try to get some feedback. Should I run Galfer pads or are the EBCs better overall? If I went Galfer, is the 1370 pad a good option? Any other options I should be looking at?

I appreciate any input!

Thanks,
Jamie

rybo
February 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Jamie,

I've been using the Performance Friction 95 pad for about 5 years now and I really like it. On top of that they are offering contingency this year, which is a nice bonus.

JPLracing on here, is a PF dealer and can hook you up if you're interested in trying them out.

s

KFinn
February 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM
+1 on the performance friction pads. I ran them last year and liked them.

Fastt Racing
February 26th, 2012, 12:52 AM
A tip for Brake pad shopping starts with the fact that the "HH" is simply a friction potential rating that almost all manufacturers sportbike motorcycle pads street or race since 2005 or so have met. So EBC has recently had three very popular "HH" pads: performance street FA pads, Race GFA pads, Race GPFA pads. They only offer the 347 pads that fit my Daytona in FA347 (cheap street pads), or GFA347 good race pads I used 2 sets all year (super thin friction thickness). Once you use a pad on a rotor face, it transfers the pad material into the rotor face during proper bed in period and operation. If you change pad compounds, you will need to take steps to clean the rotor faces, and get a nice bed in and dilution of transfered material. Also allow good bed in period to rotor face before judging their performance. Rotor lateral runout should always be checked and corrected when replacing the rotors, and periodically when servicing the brakes. If you have to ask what this is, you should have a pro with this equipment perform the work for you (most people think this is not important at all, especially on floating rotors, and/or are not educated in it, even some mechanics) Good luck, and see you soon!