PDA

View Full Version : R6 Rotor madness

spideyrdr
February 9th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I am sure I could get this info somewhere online but I have been searching around for about 2 hours now and I can't get a good answer.

Situation: I have a 2003 R6. I bought a set of wheels w/ rotors on ebay that were listed as fitting the 03-05 R6 and the R6S. I understood the rotors on the 03-04 R6 and the R6S were the same - 298mm. The front rotors on these new wheels are 310mm and the design of these suckers visually is like the 05 ONLY with a triangular hole in the carrier pattern. I can't find any other year or model that had that design.

Question: Does anyone know if the rotors from the 2005 R6 were used for any other year or model? Again, these have a triangular hole in the carrier design and I can't find any other model they has that design. Does anyone know if they will in fact fit on my 03? These are thinner by about 0.02" and they are a larger diameter (310mm vs. 298mm). I am tempted to try but don't want the seller to be able to say I damaged them.

Yes, I should have asked the dude why he listed it as fitting the 05 model when I expected it to only fit 03-04 and the R6S. I did not make the connection on the appearance either. So I didn't do enough leg work to make absolutely certain they'd fit. But I would in the end like to make these bastards work out. They're in phenomenal shape - which is another reason why I can't believe they are from an 05. They look brand new.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jamie

Throttleroller277
February 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM
The 05 went to inverted forks, larger diameter rotors, and radial mount calipers. Not positive, but I think the larger 05 rotor, might interfere with The 03-04 caliper? I have never heard of anyone trying it.

spideyrdr
February 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM
You're definitely right there, Jeff. I am beginning to believe these rotors were ONLY used on the 05 R6 but am hoping to find out for sure. These are definitely 310mm which are definitely bigger than what I have on the 03, and I am not sure they can work. What's funny is the wheels look almost brand new - how the hell could wheels / rotors from an '05 be nearly brand-spanking new looking? Weird stuff!

jplracing
February 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM
The front wheels are identical on all the r6 and r6s models (non R)

However, the rotors in 05 were a different size do to the inverted forks. So if you are running a 03-04 you can use the wheel but will need to find the correct year rotor.

Hope that helps

Joe

spideyrdr
February 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the input Joe. Any idea if the '05 rotors worked on ANY other application?

giovannir6
February 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
+1 for Joe. 05 r6 was a one off kind of bike. Tons of one off parts, including the front rotors. Only used on a 05 r6. To the best of my knowledge. I'd work on getting a 05 front end to match your wheel, just my $.02

spideyrdr
February 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
A front end swap isn't the budget, but thanks. I am going to swap to the correct rotors and see if I can unload these 05 ones. It seems like they are dimensionally the same as 06 and up for the R6 (non-S) but a different design.

Young Luke
February 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I just got a front wheel that has the older rotors on it and need the 06+ ones (not interested in the 05). Interested in these ones for $40 if they're straight? No reason to believe they aren't.

Luke

spideyrdr
February 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Absolutely interested! I had a bead on some from another club member but haven't heard *cough cough*

I'll shoot you a PM.

Young Luke
February 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm a dork. The ones on the wheel I got are 2005's. That will teach me to post from my phone without something in front of me to verify.

Sorry!

spideyrdr
February 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm a dork. The ones on the wheel I got are 2005's. That will teach me to post from my phone without something in front of me to verify.

Sorry!

And now you know why I entitled this thread "R6 Rotor madness" :)

Thanks anyway Luke, I will eventually get the ones I need!

jeff healy
February 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM
failed miserably at helping out! sorry :( I do know that there is a company out there that I got a ton of parts from called simpson salvage or something like that. They had every little part known to man that were used and priced right. Might be worth a look and I promise I will keep looking for the mystery set that I think I own! lol

spideyrdr
February 24th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hey Jeff, no worries my friend. I appreciate you looking in the first place. I am going to go a different route ... new post to follow. :)