PDA

View Full Version : 07 Season

Timmay!
December 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I am currently requesting any and all ideas for corner marshal recruitment and retention. Put your ideas here, or send them to my inbox.

I am planning to talk to y'all at the banquet, (but not Kip cuz he talks with his mouth full) and also have a corner worker only meeting at Breck some time in Jan/Feb.
Please gather your thoughts on how to improve working conditions, equipment, operating procedures, etc, and stand by...

KipBook
December 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM
Corner Marshals-

I have a few ideas.

First, our biggest turn out of corner workers was easily Hastings. I think it's all about getting the word out. Most of the guys at Hastings were there because they "heard" about it from the track staff.

I know we had the idea floating around earlier about making some business cards that can be distributed at the local motorcycle shops/dealers. This is a good idea. They are cheap to make and most businesses won't mind because they take up so little space. I'll even make the card holders!

Another idea is getting some stickers made for vehicles advertising the MRA as a whole and having the number available. I have seen racers with old MRA stickers on their cars/trucks, so I know we used to have 'em.

A third idea is something I already do, and I think Captain 11 also does this, and that's wearing our Corner Marshal shirts when we're out. I have had people ask me what a corner marshal is just because they see the shirt. Enter having some of those business cards handy! If someone asks what a corner marshal is, tell 'em and then give them a card. Not only do they now have the website and a phone number at their fingertips, it also makes the MRA look very serious and professional... and we are!

If anyone has any more ideas or a modification to a previous idea, speak up. No idea is stupid, and any idea can be tweaked, so speak up!

Kickstand
December 31st, 2006, 08:07 PM
i was planning on putting an add in the Pueblo paper about a week before the races if possible. I think this would be probably the best option.

KipBook
January 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
I hope it works. I'm not trying to steal your thunder but, the only way your going to get anybodies attention with a newspaper ad is a 1/4 or 1/2 page ad in the sports section. For the Denver post your talkin' a couple hundred bucks. I have no idea what the pueblo paper would charge.

I looked into the cost of business cards and a box of 1000 cards run from $40 to $60 depending on how fancy they get, and what kind of finish they have. I think a simple matte (no finish) card with an MRA logo and the number on the front and a short description of a corner worker on the back would be perfect. Any ideas?

contractrn
January 6th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Motorcycle people are the kind of people who work as corner marshals. So how do you get more motorcycle people to come out and work? HOw do you get their attention? I think this is another angle you should consider. Papering the motorcycle shops (Pueblo, Hastings, La Hunta, etc) with info, stickers, cards, and voice ads at the events themselves. I agree with Kip that an advertisement (unless you put it in a motorcycle mag), will not draw any attention. Lorelei

Hotrod
January 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Have you guys considered hookers?

Just a thought, Tim!

froth
January 16th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hey gang. Sorry about the lateness of my input, but I was going to attend the Procrastinators Convesntion, then get around to it.

How about having Corner Marshals as associate members of the MRA? When issues regarding Marshals come up for votes, they would have voting rights, same as racers. Membership should be free, after a certain amount of events have been worked.

Included should be MRA licenses, possibly with and "Associate" racing number(this may require some tweaking, so help me out here guys/gals).

Additionally, racers can invite the Marshals to do things after the races, which already happens.

Now, a crazy idea. Bear with me, it's my long suit.

If we have a track day, would any of you be willing to lend a backup or older bike for track workers to learn a bit on??? Lincoln and I are trying to build a backup machine, which we are debating on regarding just this subject. Lending gear; leathers, lid, gloves, etc, may be an issue, but again, I'm just trying to come up with something for the "troops."

Of course, pay more is always a good thing (duh!).

I know all of us work hared for our money, and racing sleds are not cheap to come by, but, as I look at it....We need them, they don't need us. There's all kinds of racing organizations out there, and they can work ten and twelve hour days for low pay nearly anywhere.

Well, thanks for listening to my little drivel.

Fred
Spongebut Squarepants.

dlabout
January 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm a member of the BMW riders group and thought that you might extend an invitation to the many motorcycle groups around the state. They could organize a ride to the race and then provide corner marshals during the race.
Perhaps note on a sign the motorcycle club that is providing the corner work during the race.
It would give the club recognition and give the MRA some much needed help.

Just my 2 cents.

-Doug

Captain 11
January 31st, 2007, 09:54 AM
Sounds like a good plan 2 me =D>