PDA

View Full Version : Running a tail light or rad fan off kit ecu?

jgixxer1
January 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm looking at a Triumph with the race ecu/wiring harness. Can I tap into it to run an LED strip for a taillight(less than 1 watt)?

What about a radiator fan with a manual switch also? Is there only enough juice to run the bike with a race wiring harness? Am I asking for trouble?

Was also gonna run a fog/driving light directly to regular lead acid battery and this bikes' charging system is intact if that matters.

Clarkie
January 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM
All you need the the fan is a 12v source, run an earth, and use a toggle switch on a handle bar. Done it a few times.
You can even run the tail light, fan and fog light straight from the battery and use a few switches or rewire a street legal switch block.

The GECCO
January 25th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Ditto what Clarkie said, more or less. I wouldn't hack into the existing harness, just run a new power lead off of the battery and mount a small fuse block for your new accessories.

This will make it easier to trace/isolate problems if they arise, and will also make it less likely that your new additions will cause problems that may disable the bike at the worst possible moment (cuz that's when it always happens!)

Clarkie
January 25th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Exactly, get rid of the easy circuits/wiring/sub harnesses first if you have a problem.

jgixxer1
January 26th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Thanks fellas...

rforsythe
January 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM
...cause problems that may disable the bike at the worst possible moment (cuz that's when it always happens!)

That's no joke. My old GSXR From Hell had this issue of cutting the engine right over the bump at PPIR T1 (Clarkie's favorite!), not the best place to have the bike suddenly shut off. Of course in the paddock NOTHING would be wrong. Turned out the battery would bounce up on the bump after sliding over just a little bit on the lean, hit the frame, and short out causing the ECU to lose its mind briefly.

Definitely a +1 for keeping things as simple and un-hacked as possible, these infernal machines are evil bastards that will mess with your mind if you let them.

sheispoison
January 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Or you can trade me your kit harness and ecu for my stock ones... Just sayin.

AdamandNoahsdad
January 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Triumph also offers a race alternator p/n A9618069 which would not have enough output to run a headlight or a fan. Be sure the bike in question does not have this alternator installed.