PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak Hill Climb

McLovin
December 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone from MRA going to race in the PP Hill Climb in 2012?

marty
December 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
just saw the whole coarse is paved now. American motorcycle TT racing!!!

http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc/news_ppihc/5062.html

sure would be nice if they had a couple of track days, i'd love to take a 125 or 250 up there

sheispoison
December 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
My app is in, I'm waiting to hear back...

marty
December 29th, 2011, 11:45 PM
my app is in, i told them i looked better in swimwear than all the other hot carl's in the state. i hope they pick me :twisted:

...and i used clarkie's race rez :-$

hcr25
December 30th, 2011, 08:04 AM
My app is in, I'm waiting to hear back...

How long ago did yo send it in?

sheispoison
December 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Been 9 business days today. They say within 10 I'm supposed to hear back. I'll be calling on Tuesday if I don't hear anything. It definitly went through because they damn sure took the entry fee from my bank account.

Ray-Ray
December 30th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I sure wanted to do this.....however I just couldn't swing the entry fee this year. You guys need pit crew let me know.

marty
December 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I saw something in their bulliten section that they may not respond to apps sent in after dec 14 until jan 31 due to the high number of apps

hcr25
December 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Basically unless you are already on the competitors list they are going to sort through all the remaining applications and give priority first to those who have raced it before then by experience after that. Right mow they have many more applicants then spots for them.

sheispoison
December 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
hmmm, now my hopes just went down...

hcr25
December 30th, 2011, 01:52 PM
If the took your money I wouldn't give up yet.

sheispoison
December 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
They def. took my money. Do you know how pits work up there Mike? I saw some pit space prices... good god!

marty
December 30th, 2011, 11:40 PM
you will get a small pit spot with an accepted application

JWinter
December 31st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hmmm. I could put my cheater bike in the 450 class now that it is fully paved.

*edit* Damn rules say the bike has to have one piece handle bars and not clip-ons. That sucks.

SHORT BUS
January 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
MOTORCYCLE / QUAD / SIDECAR / VINTAGE DIVISION
TECHNICAL REGULATIONS and SPECIAL RULES

Motorcycle/Quad/Sidecar/Vintage Division- The number of competitors
allowed in each class and/or overall may be limited by the promoter and
subject to change at any time prior to the final deadline (see Part II, 2.4).
Any motorcycle in the 450, 750, 1205 or vintage divisions must be
equipped as an OVM with one piece handlebars attached with triple
clamps. No motorcycles manufactured as an OVM with two piece clip-
on style handlebars would be allowed to compete in the 450, 750,1205,
Or vintage classes

What's the deal with the "one piece handlebars" ?

The GECCO
January 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM
MOTORCYCLE / QUAD / SIDECAR / VINTAGE DIVISION
TECHNICAL REGULATIONS and SPECIAL RULES

Motorcycle/Quad/Sidecar/Vintage Division- The number of competitors
allowed in each class and/or overall may be limited by the promoter and
subject to change at any time prior to the final deadline (see Part II, 2.4).
Any motorcycle in the 450, 750, 1205 or vintage divisions must be
equipped as an OVM with one piece handlebars attached with triple
clamps. No motorcycles manufactured as an OVM with two piece clip-
on style handlebars would be allowed to compete in the 450, 750,1205,
Or vintage classes

What's the deal with the "one piece handlebars" ?

My guess is that as the road was paved in sections over the last few years the organizers were trying to cling to the events "dirt" roots. I'm hoping that after the first event on the fully paved course is complete they will be more open to amending the rules towards pavement purpose bikes.

Geoff85
January 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
For those of you who were racing in the Aspen international raceway days' Racing the Pikes peak Hill climb makes the "safety boulders" we had there seem like air fence. very few guard rails and maybe 100 hay bails over the whole 14 miles .
In reality now that it's been fully paved they probably should restrict first timers to 250's :roll: For real in 2011 there were riders crashing within 3 turns of the start line. on the top section there were at least 2 major oil spills in fast sections from blown up cars and they don't even pretend to clean them up. I won't say it's not a fun event but the idea of letting anyone just roll up with a Super bike and have at it should scare any Promoter.
Happy new year
see you on the hill :D

The GECCO
January 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM
In reality now that it's been fully paved they probably should restrict first timers to 250's :roll: For real in 2011 there were riders crashing within 3 turns of the start line.

Sounds like the problem isn't the first timers....maybe now that it's an asphalt race they need to get rid of the dirt bikes :roll:

hcr25
January 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
What is your definition of first timer. Someone who has never raced before or someone who has never raced the PPIHC?
Should I be riding a 250? :)

Geoff85
January 2nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
What is your definition of first timer. Someone who has never raced before or someone who has never raced the PPIHC?
Should I be riding a 250? :)

I was thinking first timers to the hill climb might want to start easy there are a few corners (even more now) that you can get into way to hot and none of the turns have what you would call "run-off" there are so many turns that only course knowledge can save you. so getting into them at 80mph rather then 120 to start with might be a good idea. and besides i looked this morning and the 250 class has maybe 6 entries. the 450 class has 25. It also looks like there are 18-20 rookies on the list as well. this is the link to the list.

http://director.usacracing.com/ppihc/files/pdfs/competitor_list.pdf