PDA

View Full Version : Case Guards and Pinch bolt

Wayniac
December 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Are case guards required? I have an 09 ZX6R. I was looking at getting Zato racing frame sliders which mount right above the clutch and stator covers. Other companies mount higher and require cutting bodywork. Also the pinch bolts are fairly recessed on the BPF. I heard you could silicone them with RTV instead of drilling. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

sheispoison
December 27th, 2011, 06:49 AM
You do need to wire the pinch bolts and the case covers are required. Let me know if you need some help with the safety wire, we'll getcha sorted out!
carl

Throttleroller277
December 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Even if the Pinch Bolts could be Siliconed, you would not want to mess with that every time you did a tire change. Using Silicone on a Brake Lever Perch (or something equal to), where you hardly mess with it, is one thing; but a bolt that you mess with every weekend, is just a pain in the A$$.......

Wayniac
December 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Well it beats drilling a bunch of speed holes in my beautiful machine! :lol: Not that I want to booger it up with RTV. Maybe I should take a stroll up to RMK and copy Ricky O's safety wiring. :-k Anyways I was looking at GB Racing engine covers, will they pass Tech?

sheispoison
December 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
The GB case covers will pass tech fine. Copying Ricky's bike will pretty much guarantee you're good to go. Most place you can drill the bolt that needs to be wired and drill and wire it to another bolt that needs (or doesn't) to be wired. Making the only thing drilled are bolts that if you really want to can be replaced later for cheap after racing. I hope that makes sense...
carl

Wayniac
December 28th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Great, GB covers it is then. So far I've safety wired the water pump drain bolt, radiator cap, oil fill cap and oil drain bolt. So that leaves brake banjo bolts, caliper bolts and pad pins, pinch bolts, oil filter and ? Well let me know what I left out, I don't want to be drilling holes to pass tech on race day. :oops:

KFinn
December 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Do you have an oil dipstick that is separate from the fill?
Rear Axle nut?

Wayniac
December 29th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Nah the Kawi has a sight glass. Rear axle nut is castled with a cotter pin inserted from top to bottom. Do I need to safety wire the cotter pin? Do I need to safety wire the front axle too?

Clarkie
December 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=109 8)

sheispoison
December 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Front axl nut and the cotter pin on the rear axl nut need to be done. Those clips that Clarkie posted are miracle time savers on the ones you remove all the time- axle nuts, brake caliper bolts, etc.
carl

Throttleroller277
December 30th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Home Depot and Lowes usually have a pretty decent assortment of those clips as well.

Clarkie
December 30th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Home Depot and Lowes usually have a pretty decent assortment of those clips as well.

That's where I always got mine because I am cheap :lol:

Wayniac
December 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Sweet, I'll pick up a few, I got a handful of Snap-On Thunderbits,(but I'll only need one) BG In-Force and some holes to make. Picking up my bodywork tomorrow. Ninja is going to be race worthy real soon, unless it starts snowing ! :D

Wayniac
January 12th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sweet, I'll pick up a few, I got a handful of Snap-On Thunderbits,(but I'll only need one) BG In-Force and some holes to make. Picking up my bodywork tomorrow. Ninja is going to be race worthy real soon, unless it starts snowing ! :D

I was foolish to think I could do one bike with one bit. Broke 3 knocking over drill. Snapped a head 3/4 of a way through a hole, then ruined the next bit drilling into old broken bit. I should have bought the whole rack of bits at home depot. ](*,)

303 cycle
January 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Wayne I'm wiring up my 2011 ZX6R so if you have any questions let me know. Also its much easier if you have a punch and drill press but make sure you use a cutting oil as that keeps the bits cool and last a lot longer. Hell I almost have my bike all done and I'm on my first bit.

Also if you don't want to drill into the stock bolts Pro-Bolt make some pre-drilled bolts that the heads are easer to get to. I will be ordering some for the pinch bolts on the front axle as well as the calipers. I also bought the quick clips from Home Depot as apparently I'm as cheap as Clarkie :shock:

Wayniac
January 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the front axle nut :-k It looks like I have to drill through the fork. If anyone has a picture they could post, it would be greatly appreciated.

303 cycle
January 28th, 2012, 08:38 AM
You can drill them at an angle. There is enough of a "lip" on the edge of the axle on both sides to drill a small hole.