PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

jmaher
December 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Any thoughts on spark plugs? Are they all created equal? As I am getting ready to start putting parts on the new bike, I am not sure what plugs to put in it. It is a completely stock 09 ZX6R motor. Suggestions? On a related note, are the stock plug wires good?

thanks,

Joe

Clarkie
December 19th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I used to use NGK R0045Q-10 plugs and they will make more power than a normal electrode spark plug, they are $65-75 per plug and do have a habit of fouling which is why the factory teams change them before every race.

They other option is a Denso plug which only cost around $40-45 and they are the RU01-31 plug. Run a cooler plug than stock as it will keep the cylinder head temps down, a surface discharge plug will also raise the compression and allow you to run a tighter squish compared to a normal electrode plug.

I used to get my plugs from www.sparkplugs.com but they can found on Amazon.com as well. I wouldn't put these in a stock motor, but if you can run one range colder plug than stock, just dont let the bike sit there and idle as it warms up in the morning as you risk fouling a plug.

Hope this helps.