PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket engine plugs for 2008+ Ninja 250

samw
November 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'm looking for aftermarket engine plugs for my 2008+ Ninja 250 (race only). I'm talking about the 2 plugs in the alternator cover. I may be allowed to silicone them, but I prefer safety wire and the stock plugs are hard to drill. Here's an example of what I'm looking for.

P.S. I cross referenced the Ninja 250 part numbers with other Kawi road and off-road bikes and could not find anything that matches and is readily available.

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/4735.jpg

sheispoison
November 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hey, I understand that the plugs are a pain in the ass to drill for safety wire, but the rule book says:
No engine modifications of any kind are permitted. Engine configuration must
remain as delivered from the factory. Rebuilding or refreshing motor with
Standard Specification Stock Production OEM parts is allowed.
That being the case, plus the fact you're having a hard time finding the aftermarket ones, if you want some help drilling them for safetywire I'm more than happy to help you figure out the best way and help you get them drilled. Or you can just use silicone them if you want.
Let me know if I can help.
carl

AdamandNoahsdad
November 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Carl
How would you safety wire them?

sheispoison
November 28th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm not sure as I don't have a 250. But I'm willing to to help however I can to find a solution. Siliconing them is always the back up if there really is no way of drilling them.

marty
November 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM
does the alternator plug hold oil?

if it doesn't, does it need to be wired?

can the bolt be replaced with a standard hex head bolt than can be wired?

any pix? im bored at work and need to do some arm chair mechanic-ing

:D sorry if im talking out of my ass

sheispoison
November 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Pictures would be great!

Bartman
November 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Both do hold oil and would be hard to drill, if aftermarket plugs were made I see no reason to disallow them as they would prolly be heavier than stock and would help with safety. I would not consider them needed really, make sure they are tight and do the silly cone thing. :lol:

samw
November 30th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks for your input everyone! I race WERA and MOTO SERIES (FASTTRAX) and have had to safety wire the engine plugs on both my GSX-R600 and CBR250R.

I'll post pics of the plugs as soon as I can. Here is a pic of the plugs removed.

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/2008%20Ninja%20250%20Valve%20Clearance/Ninjette%20II%20Valve%20Clearance%20Adjustment/DSCN0944.JPG

T Baggins
November 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
mine are siliconed and no problem