PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the MRA do Furnace repair?

hcr25
November 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I need to get the furnace looked at in the house we are renting. The pilot light won't stay on. I have been told it might be the thermocouple, what ever the he'll that is. I would rather have our landlord pay someone in our club to fix and keep the money in the family so to speak.
Mike

DOUBLE A
November 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mike if you can pull the rubber hose off of the nipple near the back of the motor that spins, then poke a paper clip into the hole (dont let in fall in), just to break up the carbon build up then put it back together and try it. I have forced air & have paid out the behind to fix this a few times & the guy charges almost $200 to do it.

dave.gallant
November 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
I need to get the furnace looked at in the house we are renting. The pilot light won't stay on. I have been told it might be the thermocouple, what ever the he'll that is. I would rather have our landlord pay someone in our club to fix and keep the money in the family so to speak.
Mike

Thermocoupler took me 9 minutes to replace on my last furnace. I bet Ro could do it blindfolded and one handed (with a ham sam'mich in her other hand that you made for her)

hcr25
November 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Im sure she can do it. The problem is spider webs. Even though the spiders are dead/gone she will want to take her 12 gauge or glock done there. Then we have shots fired because something moved. Now we have leaking pipes and need a plumber as well. Then Denver PD shows up a couple hours after the shots fired call goes in. They start asking me all kinds of questions on where I was born, what's with all the race fuel and fertilizer in the garage. Then it's, sir why do you have three big Dobermans? Why do you have 20 thousand rounds of ammo?
Then it gets worse. They see several big tarps, two new shovels, a sleeve of duct tape, rubber boots and a rain suit. Good thing the wood chipper won't be delivered till Friday :)
See why it would be easier for someone else to do it.

rforsythe
November 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hm, yeah that is a dilemma. I can tell you from experience though that you can let Denver PD know your crack-dealer neighbors up the street are literally trying to light other houses on fire just for fun, and they won't show up until an hour after the third time you phone it in. You're likely fine. :lol:

Fastt Racing
November 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Call my snowmobile & motorcross buddy if you like. His name is Steve w/ SJS Heating & Cooling. His work phone is 3039162891. He is a good guy, and will be installing my waste oil furnace in my shop next week. Good luck, and don't try to talk him into racing motorcycles because he will, and he will end up hurt like every time he goes riding on his sled or bike, hahahaha! Go big and limp home is his motto.

DOUBLE A
November 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Im sure she can do it. The problem is spider webs. Even though the spiders are dead/gone she will want to take her 12 gauge or glock done there. Then we have shots fired because something moved. Now we have leaking pipes and need a plumber as well. Then Denver PD shows up a couple hours after the shots fired call goes in. They start asking me all kinds of questions on where I was born, what's with all the race fuel and fertilizer in the garage. Then it's, sir why do you have three big Dobermans? Why do you have 20 thousand rounds of ammo?
Then it gets worse. They see several big tarps, two new shovels, a sleeve of duct tape, rubber boots and a rain suit. Good thing the wood chipper won't be delivered till Friday :)
See why it would be easier for someone else to do it.

CLASSIC! Love it, hahaha!!!

Old Racer
November 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Mike:

The thermocouple is the cylindrical metal device that rests in the flame of the pilot light. They usually have a single sheet metal screw mounting on their bracket, a single wire, and can be easily replaced in minutes. It is used to shut off the gas valve if the pilot light goes out. Most more modern furnaces now no longer have a pilot light and use an electronic igniter. You could easily handle this repair yourself. I've done several, but I'm in Montana for the week, and don't think you want to wait on me.