PDA

View Full Version : Buying a "far away" bike...

gsnyder828
November 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
So I'm shopping for new bikes - and there are a couple that interest me, but they're each sitting on a coast.

Anyone have experience buying bikes "sight unseen" from afar? These are late model, well built bikes by the descriptions and pics...

I guess I'm curious how you went about it? How did you determine if the seller was trustworthy? How did you pay (paypal, escrow), etc.? Did you make the long-a$$ drive with a suitcase full of cash or have a transport company deliever?

Educate me please.

T Baggins
November 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
If it's in So Cal, I'll bring it back for ya!

gsnyder828
November 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
If it's in So Cal, I'll bring it back for ya!

LOL! One of them is... and trust me, I thought about that possibility.

I may be in touch...

g

Blue Junk
November 1st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Send links of the bikes, or ask about the owners. Even though your in Colorado chances are someone will know them or know someone who does. I've purchased a couple this way and it always ended up well.

If you want it shipped, I can get it here really inexpensively. Around $450-500 east coast and probably $240-280 west.

Pm the owners if you prefer.

Good luck!

gsnyder828
November 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Kory - sent you a pm.

g

jplracing
November 1st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Geoff

Depending on where they are (yes I know one is in SoCal), I may be able to help.

I have friends (that are racers) in Northern California, New York, New Jersey and Minnesota.

If the bikes are in those areas I can put you in touch with them.

Joe

benfoxmra95
November 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
find your own escrow company. don't use "their" suggested company. had a friend who was burned on a supra for $20k in that fashion. fake escrow company.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
November 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm a little late with a reply, sorry.

For not much more than having it shipped, I flew to Austin, rented a 1-way box van and hauled my bike back. I was able to see the bike in person before buying it and do the deal face to face.

gsnyder828
February 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM

For not much more than having it shipped, I flew to Austin, rented a 1-way box van and hauled my bike back. I was able to see the bike in person before buying it and do the deal face to face.

Jim - who did you rent the box van through? My early searches are showing the van rental costing way more than shipping... and that's before gas.

g

rforsythe
February 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Jim - who did you rent the box van through? My early searches are showing the van rental costing way more than shipping... and that's before gas.

g

That guy with the free candy van will rent it cheap...

T Baggins
February 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Back in 1988, I bought Ricky O's '87 GSXR750 AMA Supersport Bike.

I was living in San Fran at the time. Arranged the financing over the phone, flew in to Denver, took a shuttle to Cycles of Boulder, bought the bike and a tank-bag.

Took it to a friends house, stripped off the number plates, etc and put the turn signals and headlights back on. He shipped the parts to me in a box.

Rode it back to San Fran the next day.

Piece of cake.

gsnyder828
February 9th, 2012, 09:37 AM

g

That guy with the free candy van will rent it cheap...

You mean Carl? :lol:

gsnyder828
February 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Back in 1988, I bought Ricky O's '87 GSXR750 AMA Supersport Bike.

I was living in San Fran at the time. Arranged the financing over the phone, flew in to Denver, took a shuttle to Cycles of Boulder, bought the bike and a tank-bag.

Took it to a friends house, stripped off the number plates, etc and put the turn signals and headlights back on. He shipped the parts to me in a box.

Rode it back to San Fran the next day.

Piece of cake.

I might try that - how bad could it be in Feb?

T Baggins
February 9th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I bought mine in February... it was sketchy going over I-70 passes but was just wet, not snowpacked.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 10th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I rented a Penske box truck one-way for $481. You also have to add the cost of a 1-way plane ticket, I suppose.

My wife and I made a little vacation/road trip out of it so it was fun. It definitely was worth the extra money to see the thing in person and transporting it myself, although I would have felt very differently if it'd been a pile-o-junk.

gsnyder828
February 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM

I rented a Penske box truck one-way for $481. You also have to add the cost of a 1-way plane ticket, I suppose.

My wife and I made a little vacation/road trip out of it so it was fun. It definitely was worth the extra money to see the thing in person and transporting it myself, although I would have felt very differently if it'd been a pile-o-junk.

Thanks... was curious if I was missing something, Penske is running over double that now. Might be regional/demand affected.

KFinn
February 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM
What about renting an F150 or Cargo van e150 from enterprise or something? probably better on mileage, comfort, power, and aerodynamics?

gsnyder828
February 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
What about renting an F150 or Cargo van e150 from enterprise or something? probably better on mileage, comfort, power, and aerodynamics?

Tried that too - can't find one that's one way.

Sol Performance
February 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Put me on your list of people who know people. I have friends coming from either coast all the time.

Sol Performance
February 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Put me on your list of people who know people. I have friends coming from either coast all the time.

(I guess my phone really wanted you to know I wrote. Sorry for the double post)

d_mob
February 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Huh? All major rental companies do one-way rentals. I use Avis for this frequently.

Just go on their site and ensure pick up and drop off locations are different and you should be good to go. I try not to talk with anyone in person as they are all effin morons (IMO).

Good luck!

PS... What bike you getting?

gsnyder828
February 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Huh? All major rental companies do one-way rentals. I use Avis for this frequently.

Just go on their site and ensure pick up and drop off locations are different and you should be good to go. I try not to talk with anyone in person as they are all effin morons (IMO).

Good luck!

PS... What bike you getting?

I tried the Hertz/Avis/Entreprise etc. 1 way thing too - and got "sold out" on all the vans/pickups, which I interpreted as "no way pal, we're not sending that truck to CO"

As for which bike - not sure yet, but whatever I get it'll be faster than Ray Ray's. I have a local lead I'm hoping to hear back on... otherwise there are a few good candidates on the left coast I'm considering.