PDA

View Full Version : Aprillia

jmaher
October 30th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Does anyone race or know much about Aprilia's?

Joe

JimWilson29
October 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Does anyone race or know much about Aprilia's?

Joe

Which model?

jmaher
October 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM
RSV1000. I was talking with friends and realized I just don't know much about them and am curious.

thanks!

Joe

Clarkie
October 30th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I heard they are a "pig of a motorcycle" but that was from a Ducati guy :D
Depending on which year RSV they are a great bike that handles very well but as a race bike lack a little motor. When 'massaged' the right way they make great power, the trick is finding someone that knows what they are doing :wink:

loujr
October 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I heard they are a "pig of a motorcycle"

Expecially the Aprilia Tuono RSV :wink: :wink:

Clarkie
October 30th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Expecially the Aprilia Tuono RSV :wink: :wink:
Yeah the one I built was a total pig! LOL

graphite675
October 30th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hit up Casey Smith (#75). He rides a RSV100. Not sure he is on here very much though?

rybo
October 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I heard they are a "pig of a motorcycle" but that was from a Ducati guy :D
Depending on which year RSV they are a great bike that handles very well but as a race bike lack a little motor. When 'massaged' the right way they make great power, the trick is finding someone that knows what they are doing :wink:

<------ducati guy

Yeah, total pig of a motorcycle - I can't believe the Brewer talked me into buying his.

Happen to know anyone like that? I gots a motor that needs "massaging"

s

Clarkie
October 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Nope, no one I would recommend. I built JB's first motor, he bought one from the AF1 guys that was the same 'spec' and while he said it was a good solid motor, it wasnt close to the one I built (you have both motors). I used to do things to those motors to free them up, reduced friction and make power, my personal one I raced in New Hampshire was about 15hp up on the one I built Jim but it was a one-off with a lot of little tricks in it and I haven't had the incentive to do it again.

Not many people know this, but the V990 was originally designed to compete with the Ducati 851 and when Ducati came out with the 916 they just punched it out and used to motor for their street bike. The motor in the Aprilia 'SP' Troy Corser raced in WSBK was a different bore and stroke and very very different. We talked to the Aprilia Factory guys when I raced for Aprilia and they kept asking why were were racing the street bike and not the SP.... :lol:

JimWilson29
October 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Not many people know this, but the V990 was originally designed to compete with the Ducati 851 and when Ducati came out with the 916 they just punched it out and used to motor for their street bike. The motor in the Aprilia 'SP' Troy Corser raced in WSBK was a different bore and stroke and very very different. We talked to the Aprilia Factory guys when I raced for Aprilia and they kept asking why were were racing the street bike and not the SP.... :lol:

Wasn't that the motor that Cosworth developed for them?

Clarkie
October 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM
yep, Cosworth know their stuff 8)

Fastt Racing
October 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM
The Rotax V990 is a bomb proof engine stock! It is a great low maintenance, reliable twin for a street bike. It has great low to mid rpm horsepower production, but does lack a little in overall ponies. The chassis is really smooth on the Mille, even better on the 1000R, but a little on the heavy side. Look at the framework, and some details, and you will see that they are a piece of italian artwork assembled. Nabber just bought a Mille R. Just my opinions, as an owner I am a little bias. Buy the RSV4 Factory Joe!

Clarkie
October 31st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Exactly, Aprilia designed the V990 to be bulletproof so people wouldn't think all Italian bikes were prone to the issues Ducati was suffereing from back then. Ducati worked hard to erase the reputation of their bikes and did this by the late 90's. With an engine being bullet proof and going 100,000 miles (with regular service intervals) before needing a rebuild the sacrificed some power, but the had the SP motor to make power.

The V990 was designed by Rotax and is a great motor, it just doesnt react very well to things like cams and high compression pistons like most other motors out there. You want more power, put a 1060 kit in it which are pretty cheap nowdays compared to when I was developing them.

As a street bike all twins rock, the Tuono is insane on the street 8)

JimWilson29
October 31st, 2011, 11:37 AM
except when you overfill the external oil sump.... :oops:

jmaher
October 31st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Dennis, I think I found a bike but as I stated in the beginning of the thread, I just don't know much about Aprilia's and this has been very educational. Besides, I think I have a little ways to go before I am ready for a liter bike.

Joe

Clarkie
October 31st, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joe bear in mind the RSV only makes 110-115hp in stock form, closer to 120hp with a pipe and tuning. They do however make gobs of torque like all twins do, they also have a type of slipper clutch stock with helps a lot.

jmaher
October 31st, 2011, 01:54 PM
Alas, while the thought of racing Italian is enticing, I have to stick with racing (and sometimes crashing) on an Japane$e budget.

Joe

JimWilson29
October 31st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Don't give up Joe! I'll sell you my Aprilia! :)

DUCDOC
November 2nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
I can build you an Aprilia engine Rybo! Just need to know what you want as far as power & reliability. Mass amounts of power requires a yearly rebuild!

Gabe Sandoval #190

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
November 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joe, racing an Ape isn't that expensive! I originally thought I'd be in the Duc cost stratosphere, but was pleasantly surprised with the reasonable cost of stock and aftermarket parts through AF1 (http://www.af1racing.com/)

Stock weight with all street stuff & fuel & oil = 437lbs. I weighed mine.
Race weight is probaby 20lbs less.

Clarkie is a legend on Rotax V990 building. The one he built for me was fast, smooth, and reliable. I hope Rybo (& Gabe?) can put that jewel back together as it was a pleasure to ride.

I think Rybo will agree - that '04 RSV1000R Factory was/is super easy to jump on and ride fast. It's very predictable and will go to alarming lean angles with confidence inspiring stability.

Again, don't think because it's Italian that it's $$$. Stock parts can be surprisingly reasonable and AF1 has great customer service and lots of used parts they'll send out quickly.

Pep620
November 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I've had my 04 for 6 yrs and 25,000 mi and still love it. No, it doesn't make 160 RWHP (121 dyno) but is stable and forgiving in turns. I've tracked it and if it wasn't so pretty I'd track it more. I'd rather smash the ZX....
Great smooth V-Twin that is virtually indestructable, and cheap to buy now.