PDA

View Full Version : Riders with Asthma

jbrowning
October 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
So years ago when I rode (daily commuter) I would come down with a respiratory infection every so often. I now have asthma and have it under control and am thinking about picking up another bike to ride for fun. Does anyone here have asthma and if so how you do handle it with cooler temps. The cooler temps and damp air is what triggers my asthma. If and when I do start riding again. I will have leathers and full face helmet on. With of course inhaler close by just in case.

Thanks
Jim

hcr25
October 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I have had asthma all my life. I take daily medication (pillls) for it. It take theodur which is a generic form of theophylline I think. I have had zero issues with it. My asthma would be moderate to severe with out it. With it I can do anything that healthy people without asthma can do.
Theodur is considered a old school medication for asthma but has been perfect for me. I have a great doctor well known in the MRA, AMA and Has been the medical director for SBK at Miller the past couple of years.
If you want his contact info PM me and I will get it to you.
Mike

jbrowning
October 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I'm on the Advair Diskus right now when the weather starts getting like it is today and it really does a good job keeping my airways open to breath. Let me talk to my doc about the theodur that might be a cheaper way to go than what I'm doing right now.

Thanks
Jim

N1K
October 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I use the advair disc as well and without it its severe but have zero issues while riding. Execpt in endro a little but thats more of a fitness thing I think.

N1K
October 27th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Do you have allergies to? Thats seems to cause flair ups with my asthma more then anything right now. Its really a pita to deal with.

jbrowning
October 27th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the reply Nik. Yeah if I use my Advair I never have problems with my asthma and that is even after a full day of being out at the track in the spring and fall. So it is doing what it is supposed to do for me. Yep I of course have allergies to the great outdoors and kitty kats. And of course I love the great outdoors and ssshhhh I kind of like kitty kats but don't tell anyone. :)

Along with the allergies stirring up my asthma the cool and damp air does the same thing. And lord forbid my allergies bug me while the temps are cool. But I live with it. I have had asthma for at least 10 years now.

Thanks
Jim

Wayniac
October 29th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I take Advair too. But I always hit my albuterol before I take to the track, slopes, gym or other activities were breathing is crucial, just to be safe. Nothing worse than having to stop because your lungs feel like they are full of sand.

Wayniac
October 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I take Advair too. But I always hit my albuterol before I take to the track, slopes, gym or other activities were breathing is crucial, just to be safe. Nothing worse than having to stop because your lungs feel like they are full of sand.