PDA

View Full Version : Crashing

Wayniac
October 23rd, 2011, 10:25 PM
I've crashed hard more times than I can count on my dirt bike and skiing, suffering minor to major injuries. I have yet to lay down the Ninja, but know it is coming. Any tips on hitting the pavement? I'd like to be prepared so no suggestion is bad.

dave.gallant
October 23rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Here is my suggestion:

Don't do it.

Wayniac
October 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks Dave, I've been successful so far, but seriously. Do you just hit the deck and go for the ride? Do you want to separate yourself as much as possible from the bike on a low side? How do you transition from pavement to dirt. What the hell is arm roll? Should you just go limp and hope for the best? Ah I guess this was a stupid topic.

BushyAR15
October 24th, 2011, 06:09 AM
The few times I've gone down, it usually happens so fast, you don't have time to do anything.

Once on the ground and slowing down, I kinda look around as much as I can to see if I'm gonna get hit.

Before you stand up if you can, make sure you've come to a stop. I've gotten up thinking I'd stop sliding only to tumble as I was still sliding...

peteyt328
October 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I second that last part because I do it almost every time, make sure you come to a full stop before trying to stand up. Sometimes you get the sensation that you have stopped or slowed enough that you can just plant your feet and pop up and if you haven't that can turn your nice slide into an aerobatic session. Other than that the only thing I think about is keeping my helmet off the ground lol

Wayniac
October 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Perfect those are great tips, I would have tried to stand up before the slide was over, now I know.

dave.gallant
October 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
After you think you stopped rolling, count to three. (The "dont stand up until you have realllllly stopped" rule)

After losing the skin on my palms and finger tips (and seeing others break fingers, etc), I have since always tried to ball up my hands (fists, or the like) to try and minimize the damage there.

Other than that, generally it happens too fast to do much else but roll with the flow.

Fastt Racing
October 25th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah. Ben Pepper busted I believe his leg and ankle by trying to stand up and right himself before he came to a stop. I suggest the use of some extra protection gear under your suit also. I wear a pair of t-pro armored pants under suit and a ballistic jersey with kidney belt under suit. My last low side my shoulder in my leathers ground through and started grinding down the plastic plate in my ballistic jersey just over my shoulder and collar bone area. I would have ended up with some road rash without the extra protection beyond the built in shoulder pad in my leathers. Don't crash, it's expensive!

Wayniac
October 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I didn't even think about under suit body armor. Adding it to the list for racing next year. Another great tip. Keep them coming.

phildrummond
October 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I tumbled so much, I just remember grunting with each hit, then whining a lot afterward. Don't forget the whining.

Aside from that, I was a rag doll, as I wasn't lucky enough to slide. I'm sure I counted to 3 before I stood up, but that was involuntary.

Wayniac
October 29th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I was looking at the padding in my suit to see what type of armor to get. There doesn't appear to be any lower body protection other than the knee pads. So does anyone use the Bohn slider shorts? All the upper body stuff is there already. So maybe kevlar shirt for upper protection? Seems redundant to by armor for the torso since it is already in place. Maybe chest protector?

gsnyder828
October 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I was looking at the padding in my suit to see what type of armor to get. There doesn't appear to be any lower body protection other than the knee pads. So does anyone use the Bohn slider shorts? All the upper body stuff is there already. So maybe kevlar shirt for upper protection? Seems redundant to by armor for the torso since it is already in place. Maybe chest protector?

I wear Knox shorts (good hip/tailbone protection), and a Knox chest protector in addition to my back protector.

It was a little weird at first - takes a little getting used to, but once you're used to it, then it's hard to go without.

I also wear a mouthguard... biting off my tongue or knocking out teeth sounds like no fun.

g

polar x
October 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
My worst injuries dont seem to happen from the sliding but rather from the impact. Compression wounds are my bane. I always end up with a rather large area of skin compressed into my liner, and underarmor gear. Always fun when you remove the suit and top.... The one smack to the head (thanks Josh Graham :wink: ) made me a little loopy, nothing you can do to stop that. I wear the bohn shorts to, and they DO keep the impact down on your hips and what not areas. They also help with the heat of a long and fast slide. I like the idea of a mouth guard, but how hard it is to breath with that thing in? I can not imagine wearing that for both endurance races.

PremiumBlend
October 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
My worst injuries dont seem to happen from the sliding but rather from the impact. Compression wounds are my bane. I always end up with a rather large area of skin compressed into my liner, and underarmor gear. Always fun when you remove the suit and top.... The one smack to the head (thanks Josh Graham :wink: ) made me a little loopy, nothing you can do to stop that. I wear the bohn shorts to, and they DO keep the impact down on your hips and what not areas. They also help with the heat of a long and fast slide. I like the idea of a mouth guard, but how hard it is to breath with that thing in? I can not imagine wearing that for both endurance races.

I wear a fitted mouth piece from my dentist for hockey, and I don't even notice it's in. It doesn't mess with my breathing at all. Insurance will usually cover it as well.

gsnyder828
October 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
M I like the idea of a mouth guard, but how hard it is to breath with that thing in? I can not imagine wearing that for both endurance races.

I started wearing one in 2010 when I was racing 2 bikes & both endurance races. I was a total mouth breather at first... and sometimes when I popped out of the bubble at the end a straight saliva would spray up the inside of my faceshield... not ideal. But that's gone away - I don't drool anymore (on the track).

I just buy the cheap boil & fit type... since I keep dropping them, and flies love to land on 'em at HPR, I keep a quiver of clean ones handy.

g

sikwitit
October 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I don't think that any advice will truly help. It's all about how your brain reacts when shit happens. It does happen very quickly so there is not much you can do to prep for it. I've had surgery off two of my crashes out of 4. Are you feeling lucky? Are ya, punk! LOL

Wayniac
October 29th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I don't think that any advice will truly help. It's all about how your brain reacts when shit happens. It does happen very quickly so there is not much you can do to prep for it. I've had surgery off two of my crashes out of 4. Are you feeling lucky? Are ya, punk! LOL

I thought Bushy, Dave and Peteys advice on waiting to stop sliding was good. As a skier my first instinct is to plant my feet and get back up. After watching a full season of MotoGP, WSBK and AMA pro racing I've learned avoid the tumble, keep the arms and legs in, head off the pavement, slide off the track and just hope you don't get flung airborne on a high side.

Desmodromico
October 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Wear a chest protector, takes a couple times out to get used to but now feel naked without it. Nothing in leathers covers vital organs...pretty sure mine got me bruised ribs instead of broken this year.

Clarkie
October 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
If you crash and are heading towards an unprotected wall at PPIR, dont put your foot out to 'soften the blow' unless you want a limp for the rest of you life and never want to run again :lol:

Wayniac
October 30th, 2011, 06:13 PM
If you crash and are heading towards an unprotected wall at PPIR, dont put your foot out to 'soften the blow' unless you want a limp for the rest of you life and never want to run again :lol:

I hear that. I won't lie, that wall is intimidating. I was hugging that inside line on the back stretch all day at round 7 in the SS class.

Clarkie
October 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I just tried to pick a fight with the wall as it was looking at me weird.....the wall won :lol:

acrovixen
November 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I disagree, Aaron. The wall is still sitting on its ass in CO and you have moved on to much bigger and better things! You're still winning! :wink: