PDA

View Full Version : cleaning chain

jeff healy
October 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Has anybody heard of using Kerosene to clean and lube your chain? A buddy just told me about this and it seems like it would dry it out really bad but always looking for an easier way to clean my chain!

JimWilson29
October 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM
It's what I use. The manufacturers recommend it.

jeff healy
October 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
perfect! Thanks Jim!

Bartman
October 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM
There also some very good chain cleaners out there, I like the motorex one myself.

jeff healy
October 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
That would work good too I am just thinking that if I can clean it with kerosene all the time and not need to lube it with crap that flings everywhere and makes a mess life would be a lot easier!

peteyt328
October 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Cleaning and lubing are 2 different things... You should still be lubing it regardless of what you use to clean it.

rybo
October 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
What Pete said -

The kerosene is a solvent and will do a great job of cleaning. You still need to put some kind of lubricant on it afterwards.

I've become a big fan of the Honda HP lube - it goes on wet, but then dries and leaves a thin film of lube that doesn't fling off. I'm sure there are other brands like this too - but I don't know them specifically.

s

jeff healy
October 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
yeah that was the part that didn't make sense to me! Rybo I'll look up some of the Honda lube and give it a shot! thanks!

Bartman
October 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I don't use lube of any kind on my chain and prolly never will, chain lube came about when all we had was standard chains which did need lubed but a oring chain retains its lube and no matter what you spray on there will not get to where it needs to go, keep your chain clean are replace it every other year or so depending on how much you ride. Cuts down on the mess a lot so you can acually see what kind of shape the chain is in.

rybo
October 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
It's an interesting point Bartman -

You certainly work on bikes more than I do, but what I've found is that I actually get the chain to last a couple of years if I lube it and it starts getting kinks in it before then if I don't.

I think what happens with the HP stuff I'm using is that it provides a slick surface between the O-ring and the side plate so it doesn't wear out or get cut and let the grease out before it's time

Just my own personal experience...

DOUBLE A
October 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Agree 100% w/ BARTMAN!!!

DUCDOC
October 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Clean the chain every couple of rides.
Lube with a quality lube ( I like Chain Wax )
Clean & Lube = longer chain life!

motolitho
October 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
WD-40 has always worked awesome for me. It cleans AND lubes.

Bartman
October 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
WD is what I use as well to clean it but wipe it off as much as possible, very important after a rain race. Don't consider it lube really but my problem is with real chain lubes and the mess they make and how much dirt they attract and that is what kills a chain.
Chain wax is a joke to be honest, may not be a messy as some but does nothing for the chain as far as I can see. Lube is not required between the chain and the sproket only in the pins of the chain and a little on the slider of the swingarm.

R1-2NV
October 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
X1000 with what Bart's saying. I use nothing but wd40
On street and track and have been since 05. Never ever had a issue and never use lube.

Lube = mangnet for dirt and crap.

Munch
October 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM

and bad things on Colfax :D

jeff healy
October 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Yup I saw that one coming!!

Throttleroller277
October 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM

and bad things on Colfax :D

100% agree.... with that and the use of WD...

Now on Colfax................ a little "Spit" and some "Brownie Batter" goes a long ways :wink: 8)

Fastt Racing
October 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM
Funny Healy! I just saw the Brownie comment coming. I think Jeff Brown has som kind of dynamic search engine on his computer that actively listens in on every conversation any of his friends ever have involving the keyword Colfax.....

McLovin
October 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Just a comment by a newb.... but lubing the chain should help keep the chain cooler than a non-lube chain. Friction from movement over the sprockets by the chain would cause heat, which translates into expansion of the metal chain or chain lengthening/stretch. Constant heat cycles like in tires, would seem to me be a problem in a chain too and might be more detremental than dirt? Just a theory. Or, maybe the chain really never gets that hot enough for what I described to be possible...not sure.

PremiumBlend
November 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM
I know this probably dries out the o-rings but I use brake cleaner to clean the chain. It really breaks down any dirt and grime very, very well and I use an old toothbrush to make sure I get everything out. I take my time when lubing the chain making sure to get maximum coverage. I use Honda HP Lube, it has worked the best for me and as another poster said it goes on and leaves a thin film. For $100, I replace my chain at the end of every season anyways because it's cheap insurance to me.

LMsports
November 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Dyno a bike, then put chain lube on it. Check results...

What you will find is horsepower numbers are actually higher with a lubed chain. How long this effect lasts, not tested by me. But I always lube my o-ring chain. Cheap horsepower.

Clarkie
November 1st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Dyno a bike, then put chain lube on it. Check results...

What you will find is horsepower numbers are actually higher with a lubed chain. How long this effect lasts, not tested by me. But I always lube my o-ring chain. Cheap horsepower.

Like Rob said, free horsepower if you look after and lube your chain properly. I used to see 3-4 hp by changing a worn out chain for a new one on customer's bikes. A worn dry chain also has more chance of breaking and destroying cases, just like an improperly installed rivet link.

Friction robs horsepower. Another thing I used to do, is if possible, is lube the chain when its hot as it will reduce the 'lube fling' as the lube will set a little. Motocross trick from back in the day :wink:

Fastt Racing
November 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Mclovin. If your chain ever gets hot enough to heat cycle the rubber to any extent, your chain should have been replaced a while ago. If your chain ever gets hot enough to heat cycle the pins or link plates, it just broke and your only concern now is how to get the chain out of your left butt check!